The Baking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@leggo PE, I tend to use a really simple 6-strand braid, but you can tell it was getting wonky near the top (reason why I decided to cut off the weird part and make a smaller baby challah).  I always forget that I can go much tighter when I start, so it get's weird.  I've looked up other 6-strand braiding methods and they make the final product look more "chain-like", whereas I like a fat challah.

I actually might bake this again this weekend since it's not very labor-intensive...It just takes a lot of time management skills.  Except I ran out of eggs (!!!!).  So grocery shop run before I do anything!

@leggo PE, I tend to use a really simple 6-strand braid, but you can tell it was getting wonky near the top (reason why I decided to cut off the weird part and make a smaller baby challah).  I always forget that I can go much tighter when I start, so it get's weird.  I've looked up other 6-strand braiding methods and they make the final product look more "chain-like", whereas I like a fat challah.

I actually might bake this again this weekend since it's not very labor-intensive...It just takes a lot of time management skills.  Except I ran out of eggs (!!!!).  So grocery shop run before I do anything!
Maybe I'll make some this weekend too! But, it doesn't keep that well, right? My husband's going to be out of town and I'm not sure I would eat a whole loaf myself, haha.

Maybe I'll make some this weekend too! But, it doesn't keep that well, right? My husband's going to be out of town and I'm not sure I would eat a whole loaf myself, haha.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat@!>!M@ Challah keeps so well!  It's supposed to be made on Friday to last until at least Sunday-longer due to shabbat (I think).  The first day I store it in the oven when I finish, but after that I just throw it in a plastic bag.  

Update on sweet potato pie: it was fridged and then not really thawed out when it was served.  Def going to blind bake next time, but I think it being in the fridge for around 2 days before eating didn't help it (I baked it Tuesday night).  Was kinda hard to get out of the plate because it was still cold.  Filling came out nice though, so I am prob going to keep that.  As I ate it I kinda realized I don't like sweet potato pie, but other people enjoyed it.  Going to have a bunch of that pie left over, because we had so much food, so I might cut it all up when I get home and freeze individual slices so I can heat one up in the oven when I'm feeling like pie.

Okay, weekend plan is as follows:

Bake, bake, and bake some more!

K, not really. But I do need and want to make more sourdough bagels (I'm thinking all plain this time, because those are so tasty!) and maybe @JayKay PE's challah too. And I am thinking I might make one of those chocolate banana muffins recipes a la @LyceeFruit!

I will report back next week!

Last edited by a moderator:
SHOW ME THE CHALLAH.  Also, I have decided that I am allowed to eat bread if I make it myself (is that healthy, I don't know if that's healthy, but it'll keep me using the yeast in my fridge).  I still have a little challah from the mini-loaf left that I am going to finish tonight, prob just butter and whipped honey/honey drizzle, and then I'll look up simple sandwich bread recipes.  I think my mom snuck bread flour in my 'care package' of stuff coming from home, so I'll root around in there to see what's there.

SHOW ME THE CHALLAH.  Also, I have decided that I am allowed to eat bread if I make it myself (is that healthy, I don't know if that's healthy, but it'll keep me using the yeast in my fridge).  I still have a little challah from the mini-loaf left that I am going to finish tonight, prob just butter and whipped honey/honey drizzle, and then I'll look up simple sandwich bread recipes.  I think my mom snuck bread flour in my 'care package' of stuff coming from home, so I'll root around in there to see what's there.
I didn't end up making the challah. I chose to drink beers with friends instead. ;)

But, I might make some this weekend with the long weekend!

I did make the one of the chocolate banana muffin recipes @LyceeFruit posted, though. I think they might be on the sweet side for me (they did have a whole cup of sugar in them, which I thought was a lot when I read the recipe, but didn't lessen for some reason).

I didn't end up making the challah. I chose to drink beers with friends instead. ;)

But, I might make some this weekend with the long weekend!

I did make the one of the chocolate banana muffin recipes @LyceeFruit posted, though. I think they might be on the sweet side for me (they did have a whole cup of sugar in them, which I thought was a lot when I read the recipe, but didn't lessen for some reason).
BOOOO.  Tbh, I did no meal prep this Sunday since I met up with a friend, drank many tap-beers, and then wandered around downtown Indy before going to see Frozen II.

I am slowly running out of flour (!!!) so I def want to make cookies or something this week to empty that one container!

@JayKay PE the challah dough is on its second rise...

But I accidentally punched it down AND kneaded it after the first rise! Oops. Also not great because I am basically out of AP flour (good thing I didn't need all 6 c of flour to make the challah dough feel "right"). I'm hoping I didn't punch/knead too much of the gas in the dough with that unnecessary kneading.

I also have sourdough focaccia dough bulk fermenting right now! I'm gonna top it with garlic, cherry tomatoes, and halved olives. Here's to hoping it turns out well! I've never made it before.

Made the bake sale bars from the SK Everyday cookbook. Used a mix of milk chocolate chips and mixed dried berries. NOM

20191201_201058.jpg

Back