The Baking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should! When we get the tummy issues settled, I will. Except she seems indifferent about PB so... 
Just in case it could be useful: our vet recommended canned green beans (low/no sodium) as both a healthy training treat and to add bulk to their meals so they don't eat so much. It has worked amazingly well, is cheap, and the doggos. freakin'. love. it. I don't know why, it's just gross, slimy green beans but hey, whatever works.

Edit: Sorry, a little off topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just in case it could be useful: our vet recommended canned green beans (low/no sodium) as both a healthy training treat and to add bulk to their meals so they don't eat so much. It has worked amazingly well, is cheap, and the doggos. freakin'. love. it. I don't know why, it's just gross, slimy green beans but hey, whatever works.
I'll ask when I pick her up. I'm deffo grossed out by canned green beans (& most canned veggies tbh)  Maybe I can do frozen instead LOL (i kid). 

I walked a dog in college whose treat was 4-6 baby carrots 

If you wait for @Supe to settle his tummy issues, you're never baking for your dog. 
Especially when you read things like this in other threads:

All time favorite Witcher 3 moment happened the other day.

So I'm sitting in the theater room Saturday morning playing Witcher.  Had some General Tso's Friday night that wasn't agreeing with me, and the gas was pretty bad.  I have completed the main story line, and was just into the beginning of the Blood and Wine expansion again.  The majordomo was showing me around the newly acquired vineyard in Toussant, and one of the NPC vineyard workers was just in front of me by the servant's quarters. 

Just then, I let out wet, leather-searing, vomit-inducing fart. 

A few milliseconds after my fart ends, the servant inhales through his nose deeply and proclaims, "do you smell zat?!  Those are the vapors of Touissant!"

I nearly peed my pants laughing.

No pumpkin in the theater, either.  Just popcorn.

Back to baking- have any of you made sprouted bread? 
I have, but...Idk, it just tasted like cardboard to me, and for the amount of work...I've never attempted again.

On a baking note: Making sweet potato pie tonight.  Made the crusts last night (which I'm sure came out horrible, I remember why I never make crusts), so I'm planning on rolling them out into a 9.5-inch glass.  Sweet potatoes were baked last night, since I feel like boiling them would just add extra liquid to the pie and ruin the flavor, but I need to run to the grocery to grab some evaporated milk and maybe some condensed milk.  I'm hoping I don't totally mess these up, since it's for office "Friends-giving" on Thursday (what the HELL are Midwesterners?  What?).  Since it's a 'custard' pie, I think it'll survive a day or two in the fridge.

Tomorrow night I am making challah.  Which isn't difficult, per se, it just takes a tooooooooon of time for the dough to prove (double prove).  Thus why I'm making the pie tonight instead of trying to juggle all of the pie baking/bread proving at the same time.

Tomorrow night I am making challah.  Which isn't difficult, per se, it just takes a tooooooooon of time for the dough to prove (double prove).  Thus why I'm making the pie tonight instead of trying to juggle all of the pie baking/bread proving at the same time.
Gimme your challah recipe!!

I was more impressed with the look than the taste of the challah I made and posted about previously in this thread.

Gimme your challah recipe!!

I was more impressed with the look than the taste of the challah I made and posted about previously in this thread.
Will do!  Main thing with challah is making sure that the proves are long enough (even though people say prove for an hour, I've had my challah take almost 2-hours sometimes for the first prove to double in size).  What did your challah taste like/what did you not like about it?

Back to baking- have any of you made sprouted bread? 
I did once - the recipe of the bag from KAF lol.

I made a rye bread - it was either from KAF or SK. NEVER AGAIN. Such a freaking PITA to find all of the ingredients and then it didn't even taste good. 

Will do!  Main thing with challah is making sure that the proves are long enough (even though people say prove for an hour, I've had my challah take almost 2-hours sometimes for the first prove to double in size).  What did your challah taste like/what did you not like about it?
I thought I gave it enough time to prove and it baked up well (though I think I left it in the oven for too long, resulting in a rather dark color and a stronger crust than I ideally would have liked). What the kicker was, was the taste -- it was pretty bland and definitely not sweet enough for what I was looking for. That, combined with the tough crust were the main issues. Adjusting bake time is easy enough, but I don't think I'd try that recipe again (it was a challah recipe from SK but I don't remember off the top of my head which one it was).

I thought I gave it enough time to prove and it baked up well (though I think I left it in the oven for too long, resulting in a rather dark color and a stronger crust than I ideally would have liked). What the kicker was, was the taste -- it was pretty bland and definitely not sweet enough for what I was looking for. That, combined with the tough crust were the main issues. Adjusting bake time is easy enough, but I don't think I'd try that recipe again (it was a challah recipe from SK but I don't remember off the top of my head which one it was).
Huh.  I like having a dark color to my challah, but due to an egg wash, not from a tough crust. Is the tough actually strong in chew or is it just dense?  If it's denser there might have been over-proving going on.  Taste-wise, did you use any honey?  That usually makes things a little sweeter for the 6+ cups of flour used.  The challah I make also requires more egg whites than egg and a good 1/3 cup of honey (maybe more).  I like to use buckwheat honey in my baking because it just tastes better/more full, but that might change depending on what you use.  I only use challah recipes from "jewish" bloggers, since they have to make it every Friday for shabbat.  When I look it up again tonight I'll let you know.  

Huh.  I like having a dark color to my challah, but due to an egg wash, not from a tough crust. Is the tough actually strong in chew or is it just dense?  If it's denser there might have been over-proving going on.  Taste-wise, did you use any honey?  That usually makes things a little sweeter for the 6+ cups of flour used.  The challah I make also requires more egg whites than egg and a good 1/3 cup of honey (maybe more).  I like to use buckwheat honey in my baking because it just tastes better/more full, but that might change depending on what you use.  I only use challah recipes from "jewish" bloggers, since they have to make it every Friday for shabbat.  When I look it up again tonight I'll let you know.  
I made this one: https://smittenkitchen.com/2011/09/apple-and-honey-challah/

Because I had some apples I needed to use. I skipped the sugar on top. Maybe there wasn't enough honey? And I don't know, it was okay when there was apple in a bite but the dough itself wasn't sweet enough for my taste and relatively bland.

I did egg wash it, but definitely overbaked it a little bit because the bottom was a bit overdone (not burnt, but overdone). The top rest of the crust was thick and tough in that regard. I might have overproved it a bit.

Back