The Baking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Historically, I've never used liners. But I have some, for the next time I attempt to make muffins with much oatmeal in them.

I spray coconut oil these days, especially if I'm baking something sweet. I might use olive oil spray if I was spraying for something savory.

Cheddar and chive scones!!

Used garlic chives because I thought the recipe was for chives not scallions. Used Cabot cheese and butter but store brand sour cream (now need to find a recipe that uses the rest of the sour cream). KAF flour of course - which led to hilarious convo between me, Boyfriend, and Bestie. I wont merge his flour with me, which he thinks is absurd. She did too til she learned it was store brand vs my KAF, then she was on my side.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/cheddar-cheese-and-scallion-scones-recipe?utm_source=instagram&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=content&utm_term=curalate_like2buy_yfO2JlI2__39976c89-cb32-4be7-a076-4a7435f2ffff&crl8_id=39976c89-cb32-4be7-a076-4a7435f2ffff

20191103_072023.jpg

Update on doughnuts:  did not make doughnuts since I was chilling with my dad and now my kitchen is filled with stuff that needs to be unpacked.

Did manage to score x2 muffin trays (6 muffin a tray) + an angel food cake pan + a real trademarked 'bundt' pan for under $4 at the local goodwill.  I was thinking of grabbing the other bundt pan, but then I'd have 2 normal bundt + the crazy ornate one my mom sent to me, and I think that's too many bundts with too little time.

@LyceeFruit the scones look amazing!  Def agree that you shouldn't mix crap flour with KAF.  I'm sure they tasted delicious!  Anything with cheese and scone tastes delicious!

@JayKay PE they are pretty good! We have 3 left lol.

I meant to make coffee cake yesterday too, to use up the sour cream. But we didn't get the kitchen into a usable state until about 630. And I was so tired by then, it wasn't happening

@JayKay PE they are pretty good! We have 3 left lol.

I meant to make coffee cake yesterday too, to use up the sour cream. But we didn't get the kitchen into a usable state until about 630. And I was so tired by then, it wasn't happening
Same thing happened to me.  I was thinking about making them/I could have made them, but then I wanted to just sit and breath after moving a ton of stuff, and then it was dinner time, and then I was watching French Gardens on Netflix and...welp.  It didn't happen.

I think my next bake, since the doughnuts I think require too much time, might be espresso bundt cake.

I might make coffee cake tonight or tomorrow night. The IEEE meeting I have tomorrow was canceled so there's half an hour of my life back.

I'm watching GBBO tonight with my bestie. I might put it on my tablet and bake during it lol 

Uggggggh.  I love GBBO, but I also feel so frickin' intimidated by those people.  Like, I can never make something without a recipe and I def am not as skilled, whereas they're like, "eeeeh, haven't made marzipan in a while, but I think I'll be able to pass through with what I remember."
 I totally agree. I also don't love this season at all tbh

I totally agree. I also don't love this season at all tbh
I haven't watched this season.  The moment netflix was like 'updated weekly!' I was like...uh, no?  The point of netflix is to binge a whole season in one go.  Not wait for the next episode to launch.  What do they think I am, a cable watcher?

Another thing on all the contestants: how are they so young and so skilled (some of them)?  Is it just something different in England/Europe where people just bake more?  I feel like Americans def do not do half of that shit.

I have watched this new season, and liked the people on it. I've finished it, but won't post any spoilers!

I don't have an issue with it now being released every week. I'm not one to really binge watch shows, so it works for me. I didn't even watch it weekly, so if I found myself with a couple of free hours I could watch a couple of episodes. I agree though, HOW THE HECK ARE THEY ALL SUCH AMAZING BAKERS. I don't know how you'd do that with the jobs some of them have! Some are students, so I guess maybe they have large blocks of free time, but still.

My weekend bakes were double lemon poppyseed muffins and avant garde take on sourdough pretzels. I made double the pretzel dough and only six things out of it. The dough was a little difficult to stretch (maybe I didn't knead it quite enough?) so my pretzel shaps and other shapes busted out a bit, but they still taste great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I would never mix flours! I use KAF and the occasional Bob's Red Mill flour. I will mix these too, but the vast majority of the time, it's all KAF all the time. Which reminds me, I need to order some more whole wheat and all purpose KAF...

And this is probably super dorky, but I absolutely HATE plastic wrap and tin foil boxes. Maybe I handle them too roughly, but they always fall apart on me... I'm seriously eyeing the reusable dispensers KAF has.

Also, I would never mix flours! I use KAF and the occasional Bob's Red Mill flour. I will mix these too, but the vast majority of the time, it's all KAF all the time. Which reminds me, I need to order some more whole wheat and all purpose KAF...

And this is probably super dorky, but I absolutely HATE plastic wrap and tin foil boxes. Maybe I handle them too roughly, but they always fall apart on me... I'm seriously eyeing the reusable dispensers KAF has.
I hate plastic wrap in general but 100% agree on the boxes

Yeah, plastic wrap is not my favorite either. One roll will last me forever, which is probably part of the reason why the boxes fall apart on me.

I currently don't have KAF, because the Costco near me didn't stock it when I bought my stuff (but now they do!!!!!!).  I had to buy 'great river' white flour, which is organic, but I feel like it's not as 'clingy' as normal flour?  Hoping to use it up soon so I can get KAF back in my life (though I think my mom sent me a 10lb KAF bread flour bag with my dad in my things).

Tin foil boxes + parchment paper boxes = totally fine.  I loved the plastic wrap container my parents had.  It was from a warehouse and was like 1000+ feet, but it had a 'slide cutter' for the plastic, which made things so much easier to cut for specific lengths.never popped out of the box.  The best.

Very good deal, indeed! I am pretty sure that's what I already have, and love. Buy buy buy if you don't already have a KA!

Uhhhhhh.  I just found out the Costco I go to carries the sift magazine.  Deciding if I want to buy it or not,
I've bought it twice. I don't think I've made anything from it. And not sure where they are rn

I've bought it twice. I don't think I've made anything from it. And not sure where they are rn
I think most of the recipes in the magazine are ones on the website, right?  I'm hoping my sister buys me the America's Test Kitchen cooking book and a cool dessert book I saw at Costco for Christmas.  Like, I don't mind using recipes off the internet, but it's just so nice sometimes to have a real copy in your hand.

I think most of the recipes in the magazine are ones on the website, right?  I'm hoping my sister buys me the America's Test Kitchen cooking book and a cool dessert book I saw at Costco for Christmas.  Like, I don't mind using recipes off the internet, but it's just so nice sometimes to have a real copy in your hand.
maybe? i'll check when I find it.

I'm trying to write down the recipes I really like into a notebook so I can have them in my hand. I lost my fave mini cheesecake recipe a few years ago because the blogger went AWOL and the site went down and I didn't have it saved anywhere 

Back