The Baking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think most of the recipes in the magazine are ones on the website, right?  I'm hoping my sister buys me the America's Test Kitchen cooking book and a cool dessert book I saw at Costco for Christmas.  Like, I don't mind using recipes off the internet, but it's just so nice sometimes to have a real copy in your hand.
Is the cool dessert book the Simple Cakes cookbook? I haven't made a lot from it but I think I did do one bundt (posted earlier in this thread) so far. I think I'm going to make a sheet cake for a party we're throwing this weekend... Just which one??

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to write down the recipes I really like into a notebook so I can have them in my hand. I lost my fave mini cheesecake recipe a few years ago because the blogger went AWOL and the site went down and I didn't have it saved anywhere 
I've been worried about this happening for a few recipes I found online, so I generally email myself recipes I want to try nowadays, no matter where they are from (unless it's like a NYT recipe or something).

I've been worried about this happening for a few recipes I found online, so I generally email myself recipes I want to try nowadays, no matter where they are from (unless it's like a NYT recipe or something).
I usually print them because I don't like having my phone covered in flour. But I can't find my print out. But I did find my huge pile of recipes torn out from the old Martha Stewart FOOD magazine and there's printouts in there so there's hope. I started going thru and holy hell is that binder overwhelming. Some of it is organized - cut out & taped to paper in page protectors and then some of it falls out every time I touch the binder lol

maybe? i'll check when I find it.

I'm trying to write down the recipes I really like into a notebook so I can have them in my hand. I lost my fave mini cheesecake recipe a few years ago because the blogger went AWOL and the site went down and I didn't have it saved anywhere 
Yeah!  DITTO.  When I find a recipe I really like, I copy it down into a book I have.  I know there are some that I've missed, so when I have a good weekend when nothing is going on, my plan is to look for those recipes and copy them over.

I hate that bloggers just randomly lose their license and the recipe is gone!  I mean, I'm angry because a random site that had good directions on reheating frozen baguette isn't there anymore and I'm sad now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, has anyone figured out how to get around the NYT paywall?  Half the time I just want to check the recipe to see if it's similar to something I already have, but I don't want to pay for a subscription...
incognito tabs?

Also, has anyone figured out how to get around the NYT paywall?  Half the time I just want to check the recipe to see if it's similar to something I already have, but I don't want to pay for a subscription...
You could have me email it to you?

I have a NYT subscription haha!

You could have me email it to you?

I have a NYT subscription haha!
WAHATGYFUWSJIOMLKCFSA.  I have so many recipes that they send to me in the mail that I'm like, "huh, that looks interesting.  Maybe when I get a subscription I'll check this out/ copy+paste/ print it"  I def might be asking you for a couple recipes that keep bugging me.  !!!!!

WAHATGYFUWSJIOMLKCFSA.  I have so many recipes that they send to me in the mail that I'm like, "huh, that looks interesting.  Maybe when I get a subscription I'll check this out/ copy+paste/ print it"  I def might be asking you for a couple recipes that keep bugging me.  !!!!!
I'm tempted to get a NYT sub

^^ @LyceeFruit, obviously should have tripled the frosting.  For next time.

And I thought you weren't making...muffin-shaped things.
lol, I actually had extra frosting.

And I don't like this frosting recipe - it's different than my normal buttercream, I made the one the blogger gave with the cupcakes.

A whole stick of butter. So to triple.... so much butter

And made mini cupcakes since they;re for my GOTR team (3rd-5th graders). It's the Superhero muffins I'm trying not to make lol 

K, I've been making muffins consistently for the like, last 6 weeks... I need some inspiration!

I've made the superhero muffins, the oatmeal zucchini muffins, banana muffins, lemon poppy seed muffins... 

Or maybe I should just make the chocolate zucchini muffins that are so, so good?

K, I've been making muffins consistently for the like, last 6 weeks... I need some inspiration!

I've made the superhero muffins, the oatmeal zucchini muffins, banana muffins, lemon poppy seed muffins... 

Or maybe I should just make the chocolate zucchini muffins that are so, so good?

https://siggis.com/recipe/chocolate-chip-banana-oat-bread/

http://kitchenconfidante.com/simple-sundays-chocolate-banana-muffins-recipe

https://www.shugarysweets.com/chocolate-banana-muffins/

That's a lot of chocolate banana bread/muffin options... Do you have a preference?
I like the one with siggis. Read the comments for mods to make it muffins tho.

Note: it does get fuzzy in a few days if unrefrigerated.

But I've made all three. I just love bananas and chocolate lol 

Unbaked caramelized onion and butternut squash gallete (which was delicious):

3814CAF0-53D8-48D7-B14A-9DBA1D2D7180.jpeg

Double layered vanilla cake with lemon buttercream frosting (I didn't saw off the top of the lower tier to level it because I got lazy). I also ran out of powdered sugar to make more buttercream, so the frosting application was a bit haphazard. Regardless, this is quite yummy!

6D3C6C94-2CE5-4E1A-AFC2-2EB67FB0E468.jpeg

And lastly, carrot tahini muffins... We'll see if the flavor off these grows on me.

0D31D668-E53B-4D02-8F6D-05E000F6E327.jpeg

Back