The Baking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't do cream cheese frosting since I don't like cream cheese lol

But yeah, I was thinking royal icing - it's been a long time since i've made it. 

pumpkin pie spice is so easy to make, i don't know why you'd by it (says the one who buys taco seasoning half of the time lol)

I wasn't originally planning on making sourdough bread this past weekend, but woke up Saturday with the intense urge to. My starter (all purpose flour based) wasn't active, but thankfully, my husband's rye flour starter was due to pizza dough making activities. So I took some of his starter, and for the second time ever, made sourdough from a recipe and process that was completely of my own design. This is a significant step in my  sourdough baking hobby! And big for me in general, because I am definitely typically a recipe follower.

Anyway, this is possibly the best bake I have ever had! I haven't cut into the loaves yet to see the crumb, but I have decently high hopes thanks to how much they rose!

A082FA24-AB25-4984-8E50-78B297CA3C77.jpeg

51426C5B-6902-4167-91E8-078E96093AAB.jpeg

That second loaf is coming with us our friends' place tonight. They just had a baby and we are making them dinner and get to meet the little one!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, we have been for several months now! It's really upped our homemade pizza game. My husband is super proud of it, and it tastes so good!

Also, the aforementioned bagels:

View attachment 13675
Also, my plain sourdough bagel got aa race review from my husband on Saturday! I wasn't home to try one, but am excited to now. I baked these at the end of August and we're only now getting to them since we've been so busy on the weekends!

I baked these at the end of August and we're only now getting to them since we've been so busy on the weekends!
A month and a half old bagel?  How are those not hard as a rock?

Umm freeze and toast, duh! My bagels are never hard as a rock... Unless they're left out at room temperature when first bought for too long. But that never happens in my household. We only eat bagels once a week max., so freezing is essential.

My sourdough bagels also happen to have excellent chew to them, which makes them even better than the local bagels you can get around here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have a source for buying almond flour in bulk that isn't one of the membership stores (Sams, BJs, Costco) or Amazon?
I thought my local CoOp carried it in the bulk bins but they don't and otherwise it's buying 1lb bags at 6.99$-9.99$ a pop (depending if I get to Renys or get it at Hannafords). I can find the slightly bigger bags sometimes at certain Hannafords. But I'm thinking I need a bulk source soon and I'd like to avoid excessive packaging and adding to Bezos gold hoard.

Same for coconut oil. I've been buying the Hannafords brand since it comes in a glass jar but now I have a bunch of these glass jars. So I'm thinking I need to find another brand that sells it in like 32oz+ containers - even if it does mean plastic. I've got a bit of time til I need to go that route but curious if anyone has had success in either route. 

I don't know where you might get bulk almond flour, unfortunately. I don't use it thaaat much, so I buy the small Bob's Red Mill bags.

I made some more muffins this weekend: 

E0B4FE62-24AD-46F8-9234-E0B07E356AFE.jpeg

They are zucchini muffins and I filled the tins so much, I only got 11 muffins instead of 12. But they rose a lot, and taste good! 

I also made oatmeal chocolate chip raisin cookies, but somehow managed to double the amount of flour in them. Instead of 3/4 c, I put in 1.5 c, and didn't realize what I had done until they were already baking... Though I definitely noticed the dough was super dry and hard to mix together when I was mixing it. But despite them being somewhat crumbly, they actually still taste good! I would try that recipe again for sure, with the proper ratio of flour.

I just want to bake something, anything, that is not the muffins.

And doesn't require a mixer since I haven't moved that over yet. 

Latest posts

Back