SE Exam Oct 2019 Result

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may be the wrong thread for this, but since we're all just waiting for S.E. results I figure it couldn't hurt to ask...

Is it just me, or does it seem like the only way to move up in pay, responsibility, and title in the structural private design sector is to bounce around from company to company every 3-4 years? I would love to hear other's opinions especially if you work in other regions outside of Southern California if this is common everywhere?

In my own Experiences: Having a Ph.D. (especially if you're coming into industry at entry-level straight from academia), it may help you during the interview process when being compared to the other pool of applicants, but it certainly doesn't equate to higher pay (at least not here in California). Of course there are exceptions if you land some niche at a specific firm that does R&D or some sort of specialized services which requires a Ph.D., but I'm speaking specifically to your typical structural design firm. I work along side Ph.D.'s with the same amount of work experience as me (I stopped at Masters) and we make the same salary (plus or minus a $1/hr). I've talked to Professors, Principals, and Partners and have been told by all that while having your Ph.D. helps you technically, it certainly does not equate to higher pay, promotion, etc....in fact one principal even told me they have shy'd away in the past from hiring a Ph.D. because they tend to make some tasks way over complicated which isn't good when you need to stay under budget...(not sure if fully agreed with their logic, but I'm a small fish here..) 

I interviewed recently with a professor here at a local university because I'm interested in heading back to academia, and he told me point blank "do not pursue this Ph.D. if you're wanting to be paid more if you return to industry, it wont happen".
This is quite accurate. A business has a purpose, and the purpose is to make a profit. Paying a worker a lot is not part of that equation. Either you bounce around and get a raise that way...or you find your own niche/role in your company like mikesltj23 said. I actually don't think that getting your SE would give a raise per se. What it does is  make you more valuable on the open market if that market requires an SE to stamp structural designs. 

I blame Thanksgiving for pushing everything back a week. 😭
I think you're correct. The grading workshop tends to happen the week after thanksgiving. Thanksgiving was late this year...which pushes back the workshop, which pushes back results. I'm shocked that the PE results were so late though. 

I think you're correct. The grading workshop tends to happen the week after thanksgiving. Thanksgiving was late this year...which pushes back the workshop, which pushes back results. I'm shocked that the PE results were so late though. 
PE results went through a cut score revision. That's why they were late.

106 K

8 years

PhD, PE, PEng

WA

Not sure,

So, how much should be my salary after passing the exam?
Underpaid or not depends less on your qualifications and more on the role/industry you are in. You will have to compare your salary with people with similar roles and experiences. In the industry PhD's on average earn only ~5% more than masters. This, IMO, is mainly because they are working in similar roles. Your salary does not depend on your qualifications, but depends on how much revenue you bring to your company. If you bring in the same revenue as Masters you get the same salary + a small bit more as a PhD looks good on paper for marketing services to clients. 

That being said, there are industries/companies which have a proper research or R&D team. You might be more valued there. Mainly because they only hire PhD's and they help create IP for the company. In such cases you can expect to get paid much more. However, in most such roles a SE (or even a PE) is not required. Only place I have seen PE SE required along with a PhD is for consulting companies which undertake novel studies to support defend client claims (mainly for liability) 

My suggestion would be to find a role which you like doing and really enjoy. Then as long you earn similar to someone with same experience and role/responsibility, you are doing well. If money is the main motivating factor then look into the industries I mentioned and find a way in.   

Pay also dependent on industry and location.  In my current location with engineering in downstream oil industrial area students just out of school are offer jobs in the mid 70k and they average 95k once they receive their PE.  However, the individuals in the commercial, residential, transpiration, and  municipal section are paid about 30 to 40 percent less. 

In the industry PhD's on average earn only ~5% more than masters. This, IMO, is mainly because they are working in similar roles. Your salary does not depend on your qualifications, but depends on how much revenue you bring to your company.
Agree.

tenor.gif

Back