SE Exam Oct 2019 Result

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do they only have a pool of 100 questions that they ask from in the actual test and therefore can't add to the practice test question bank?
I can verify they have at least 200 morning and 20 afternoon exam questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still feel like you've been cutting real close, with a little lack of luck, but don't let them win, you will pass this exam! And after all this time, rather you like or not, I am sure all the studies have made you a better engineer. I wish you the best man, cheering for ya
As far as consistently failing the same material. That is unfortunately a resounding No. If only it were that easy. What really set me off the time before last was that I was told I failed the cold formed  problem on the diagnostic report (it’s really the only one you can 100% sure track). Without saying too much, it was a VERY easy problem and I am certain I got it right. I don’t know what happened or how, but I am convinced there was a fuckup from the time I turned my exam in to the time I received my results on my morning portion. How many times have you left an exam counting 38/40 correct answers and then received a fail? Even the ones I new I failed I was within a couple of where I thought give or take a guess or math error. I was absolutely certain it was physically impossible for me to fail. Call me crazy, I don’t care. Thanks for the well wishes though. You too. Regarding everyone else though, I’m sorry you disagree with me, I can’t force you to be right. Maybe your life circumstances but you in a better position for this ****. It’s a moot point, but some of the best engineers I’ve ever known couldn’t get past this ******. The older you get the harder it is. I’m gunning for an appointment for the board. If you don’t like what I do then I have 2 words “**** you.” Maybe you’ll see why I’m pissed after I **** your party over.

Wow.  All opinions aside.  I hope someone with your temperament is never in an actual position to influence the outcome of something like these tests.  You're not exactly coming off as professional or reasonable or anything else that would give people faith in your judgement. 

You've been dealt a crap hand and we all get it... and everyone here, well I'd assume, feels some level of same way as you.  But cmon read what you're saying it's coming off as borderline threatening.

Okay..I don't want the test to be easier. I was not shocked to see my test. I wouldn't have been disappointed or complained about the "difficulty of the test," even if the actual test was harder than what I got. I did enough research to know the practice test was useless to gauge the difficulty and I prepared myself accordingly. I am just pointing out the fact that NCEES has been lying to us by saying the practice test resembles actual test. We have 3 different releases of practice test lying around in our office. They haven't even updated the questions, it's the same set of questions since the last mammoth failed the SE test. Is it that hard to update the practice test with new questions every other year or so? Do they only have a pool of 100 questions that they ask from in the actual test and therefore can't add to the practice test question bank? That shows how much effort they are putting into it. 

Regarding the state licensure, I was just pointing out the fact, that the states and NCEES are communicating in two different languages. Also, I am done with PE tests. If a state refuses to accept my 16-hr result, I am not getting registered in that state. Like you said, what choice do I have?

Also, good luck with your results. I hope you pass the **** thing! 
I feel really bad that you've passed the SE (please correct me if I'm wrong but that's how I read your posts) ... And you're screwed out of getting licensed.  That is a shame and I wonder if there is any remedy anywhere you haven't thought of or considered.  

@ChaosMuppetPE, no need to be threatening toward others on this board. We can all agree to disagree, that's fine. And frustration about your state's Board is fair too. But please, keep it civil in here (even though we all know, we're not civil engineers, we're structural engineers ;) ).

Thank you!

@ChaosMuppetPE, no need to be threatening toward others on this board. We can all agree to disagree, that's fine. And frustration about your state's Board is fair too. But please, keep it civil in here (even though we all know, we're not civil engineers, we're structural engineers ;) ).

Thank you!
I’m just being a butthole, my evil scorpion friend. Sometimes I enjoy doing just that. 

Gotcha. We allow buttholes on this site, don't worry. Just how you wrote things seemed very harsh to the reader, perhaps not so much to you as you were writing them. It's good to lighten up a little bit too!

As far as consistently failing the same material. That is unfortunately a resounding No. If only it were that easy. What really set me off the time before last was that I was told I failed the cold formed  problem on the diagnostic report (it’s really the only one you can 100% sure track). Without saying too much, it was a VERY easy problem and I am certain I got it right. I don’t know what happened or how, but I am convinced there was a fuckup from the time I turned my exam in to the time I received my results on my morning portion. How many times have you left an exam counting 38/40 correct answers and then received a fail? Even the ones I new I failed I was within a couple of where I thought give or take a guess or math error. I was absolutely certain it was physically impossible for me to fail. Call me crazy, I don’t care. Thanks for the well wishes though. You too. Regarding everyone else though, I’m sorry you disagree with me, I can’t force you to be right. Maybe your life circumstances but you in a better position for this ****. It’s a moot point, but some of the best engineers I’ve ever known couldn’t get past this ******. The older you get the harder it is. I’m gunning for an appointment for the board. If you don’t like what I do then I have 2 words “**** you.” Maybe you’ll see why I’m pissed after I **** your party over.
Man, I wonder if you accidentally filled out the bubbles incorrectly. It happened to me before when I was taking the PE, but PE gives you tons of time to go back and review. That could had been a possibility. Would they let you see the answer sheet? I doubt they would change the outcome, but you would at least know what happened there. It does sound a little fishy, but again man, best of luck. I really hope you pass this time around, seems like this test is taking the best out of you!

feel really bad that you've passed the SE (please correct me if I'm wrong but that's how I read your posts) ... And you're screwed out of getting licensed.  That is a shame and I wonder if there is any remedy anywhere you haven't thought of or considered.  
Yes, I did pass my SE a few cycles back and am licensed, not in NJ though (and I dont intend to do so 😉 )

Wow.  All opinions aside.  I hope someone with your temperament is never in an actual position to influence the outcome of something like these tests.  You're not exactly coming off as professional or reasonable or anything else that would give people faith in your judgement. 

You've been dealt a crap hand and we all get it... and everyone here, well I'd assume, feels some level of same way as you.  But cmon read what you're saying it's coming off as borderline threatening.
Sadly, it's people with my temperament that make things happen.

Man, I wonder if you accidentally filled out the bubbles incorrectly. It happened to me before when I was taking the PE, but PE gives you tons of time to go back and review. That could had been a possibility. Would they let you see the answer sheet? I doubt they would change the outcome, but you would at least know what happened there. It does sound a little fishy, but again man, best of luck. I really hope you pass this time around, seems like this test is taking the best out of you!
No. You can't see anything after the exam is graded except for the terrible feedback they give. If you could, apparently knowing EXACTLY what you got wrong is bad for the profession. As far as missing a bubble, I certainly considered that. The issue is I distinctly remember having 40 answered and I wasn't haphazardly bubbling anything in.

all this talk of not grandfathering - are you saying you want this to not be the last exam you have to take? just logically speaking what are the goals with that? Sorry, I may still be in a brain fog and not following. 
I wouldn't mind taking a test as long as it is justified, but no there is a lot more to what I am saying. I'll try to make my thought process more transparent (maybe NCEES could learn from this).

The GA board passed a requirement for the 16 hr SE exam to be the only exam which will grant PE licensure in GA if you open any of the material specific structural design codes in practice. They did this despite any of them having passed this specific exam. There is no need for special seismic detailing in most of the southeast (there is a small portion of Tennessee and South Carolina that is the exception to this rule). The 16 hr SE would never have been implemented in GA had the only structural representative on the board (or his employees/coworkers) been required to pass this exam to maintain licensure. (I was happy staying my little lane).

The ideology behind removing grandfathering is that ONLY new elements that were TRULY needed would pass because the assholes passing shenanigans would have skin in the game at that point. If a change in methodology due to advancing technology or a safety concern is warranted, then it is my solemn belief that EVERYONE should have to prove competency in that new area. Hence why I would like to see these exams broken into further components that you could mix and match to suit your career so to speak. It wouldn't be that hard to do, you could even put the classifications someone has right on the stamp or even their license number for that matter.

In the meantime, without something like this in place, You have asshats out there using the AISC 9th edition and designing concrete with a 1.4DL + 1.7LL load case while passing requirements they don't understand. If your representatives were required to understand these things, I'd be far more receptive to their decisions. In addition, if the understanding for the new material or process was legitimately needed, a form of direction should be given on how to learn the new material or process rather than just kicking you right in the ding ding and then you get to watch them going back to incorrectly using  a 1/3 stress increase with current building codes while you've had to basically study an entirely new field on your own because there are either no resources available to you or you have no idea what or where those resources are.

Maybe my ramble makes sense. If it doesn't, I'm blaming the GA board.

I think the level of difficulty is fine. They need to make the exam hard enough so that not just everyone who walks in passes. In theory it would be way more beneficial if NCEES gave more detailed feedback on what you did wrong. In practice though I don’t see how they would do that without giving the problem solution away. They almost have to keep it vague. 

CM, what about moving out of GA?

(And don't tell me that the Coke tastes better down there.)

I wouldn't mind taking a test as long as it is justified, but no there is a lot more to what I am saying. I'll try to make my thought process more transparent (maybe NCEES could learn from this).

The GA board passed a requirement for the 16 hr SE exam to be the only exam which will grant PE licensure in GA if you open any of the material specific structural design codes in practice. They did this despite any of them having passed this specific exam. There is no need for special seismic detailing in most of the southeast (there is a small portion of Tennessee and South Carolina that is the exception to this rule). The 16 hr SE would never have been implemented in GA had the only structural representative on the board (or his employees/coworkers) been required to pass this exam to maintain licensure. (I was happy staying my little lane).

The ideology behind removing grandfathering is that ONLY new elements that were TRULY needed would pass because the assholes passing shenanigans would have skin in the game at that point. If a change in methodology due to advancing technology or a safety concern is warranted, then it is my solemn belief that EVERYONE should have to prove competency in that new area. Hence why I would like to see these exams broken into further components that you could mix and match to suit your career so to speak. It wouldn't be that hard to do, you could even put the classifications someone has right on the stamp or even their license number for that matter.

In the meantime, without something like this in place, You have asshats out there using the AISC 9th edition and designing concrete with a 1.4DL + 1.7LL load case while passing requirements they don't understand. If your representatives were required to understand these things, I'd be far more receptive to their decisions. In addition, if the understanding for the new material or process was legitimately needed, a form of direction should be given on how to learn the new material or process rather than just kicking you right in the ding ding and then you get to watch them going back to incorrectly using  a 1/3 stress increase with current building codes while you've had to basically study an entirely new field on your own because there are either no resources available to you or you have no idea what or where those resources are.

Maybe my ramble makes sense. If it doesn't, I'm blaming the GA board.
I totally agree with this. I would hate taking an exam when I am at the end of my career (like it would be for some who are grandfathered in), but this will keep it fair for everybody.

Sadly, it's people with my temperament that make things happen.
Angry profanity laced rants about how unfair the system is, then threatening to make things harder on others who don't see it your way isn't how you effect change.  It's how you ensure you're never really taken seriously and only hurts whatever merits your cause has.  

Angry profanity laced rants about how unfair the system is, then threatening to make things harder on others who don't see it your way isn't how you effect change.  It's how you ensure you're never really taken seriously and only hurts whatever merits your cause has.  
Not making things harder on anyone, but making things right and the way they should have been all along. You do you though.

April-2019 failing scores reported on this site

27-AAIU
27-AIUU
24-AAIU
23-AAAA
23-AAAI

23-AAIU

22-AAAI
20-AAAU
20-AAIU
18-AAII

TehMightyEngineer’s previous research