Nutrition, Diet, and Exercise: Notes, Goals, and Resources (these people just keep talking about crossfit)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just started measuring my body fat...I’m using the tape measure for now (I know, not very reliable)...I’m at 34% according to that. My goal for now is about 19%. Though I’m more concerned about losing the weight...
I just did two different tape measure methods. Got 14% with one and 16% with another. Idk which of the 4 methods to believe now.

I am not familiar with the SECA method? 

I will ask her - she has been at the hospital all week so I will see her tonigh (I think)

The "nutritionist" at the gym charges $150 a month for nutrition coaching and meal plans, I dont think they are individually tailered but just some meals to chose from 

Are you looking to gain or lose?

I am not familiar with the SECA method? 

I will ask her - she has been at the hospital all week so I will see her tonigh (I think)

The "nutritionist" at the gym charges $150 a month for nutrition coaching and meal plans, I dont think they are individually tailered but just some meals to chose from 

Are you looking to gain or lose?
Looking to gain muscle at the moment.

Better explanation than I could ever give:

The Seca mBCA (medical Body Composition Analyser) analyses body composition using the Bioelectrical Impedance methodology. Bioelectrical Impedance is a method used to obtain impedance values generated by different components of the body in response to a small electric current. Cells that have the highest proportion of fat (consisting of only 10-20% water) are the most efficient at blocking/reducing the small electric current (giving higher impedance values). Lean tissue cells (found in Fat Free Mass (FFM) [organs, muscle and bone]) which consists mostly of water (70-75%) allow the electric current to pass much more easily (giving lower impedance values). Based on the impedance results obtained which are a measure of how much the electric current is blocked or reduced by components of the body, equations can be used to calculate Total Body Water (TBW) which in turn is itself used to calculate additional information. At lower frequencies the applied current can not pass through cell membranes; it passes around the cells in the extra-cellular space and hence works out the amount of Extra-Cellular Water (ECW) only. Higher frequency currents can penetrate cell membranes thus permitting the calculation of TBW (that which passes around the cells + the water inside the cells). Using the values for TBW and ECW, the Intra-Cellular Water (ICW) can then be calculated (TBW - ECW = ICW). This is why using machines that make measurements at more than one frequency can provide more information to the user.

Being an EE, naturally I had to use this method. Any other method is considered heresy lol

Last edited by a moderator:
ok gotcha - we used one similar to that that the wife brought home from the hospital (but a portable version), we always read higher on that one, I think if you are not perfectly hydrated it doesnt read correctly ( the wifes words) 

Ill ask her for some gaining type meals - she has me maxing out the protein and also be in a calorie deficient state (i am still trying to lose weight but looking for muscle gains) - I still have a hard time getting 150g a day, I am already sick of shakes..... I think over the last year I have shrunk the stomach due to eating less that its just hard for me to eat a whole chicken breast - 

I am still trying to coax her into starting a RD thread here.... 

I think thats true based on this article 

https://www.fitnescity.com/blog/how-to-measure-body-fat  See number 5

I think if you are not perfectly hydrated it doesnt read correctly
I think this chart shows I was severely dehydrated??? I drank about 1L of water throughout the day + a couple of cups of tea + fruits. Maybe I should go through 2 of the 1L per day.

The test was only $15, so I might do it again in 3 months (and will try to get properly hydrated beforehand).

IMG_20200213_171023 - Copy.jpg

So like any good white girl, I am an iced coffee junkie, I am dreading the warm season coming up in a few months a bit.. Ive successfully switched over to black coffee for hot coffee - but black iced coffee taste like what I imagine ass taste like.  Anyone got any recommendations to make it low calories but not taste like ****?  

The Misses just suggested to not drink it 😞

So like any good white girl, I am an iced coffee junkie, I am dreading the warm season coming up in a few months a bit.. Ive successfully switched over to black coffee for hot coffee - but black iced coffee taste like what I imagine ass taste like.  Anyone got any recommendations to make it low calories but not taste like ****?  

Cold brew!

Cold brew!
My wife and I really like the Dunkin cold brew bags that can be bought at the grocery store. It's like this. I think she just loads up two bags in a 2qt mason jar and leaves it in the fridge overnight. I enjoy it black, she adds a little creamer.

But I would choose to drink nothing over drinking iced black coffee.

But I would choose to drink nothing over drinking iced black coffee.
This might be where I am at.. I have tried the Nitro Cold Brew?  It defin wasnt very good.

For me its during Doors Off season with the Jeep and grabbing an XL iced coffee for a ride, not sure whats worse, an iced coffee with some cream or a diet coke?

I only drink black coffee, but man - iced black coffee does taste like total ****.

I'm interested in knowing what the different types of exercise plans everyone is using and what your goals are.

I'm more on a powelifting plan that focuses on squat, bench, and deadlifts with some body weight stuff mixed in. I also jump rope beforehand to warm up. I have specific goals for these lifts, that once I reach them I might cut back on the frequency. I'd like to eventually add in overhead press and power cleans.

One day I'd also like to incorporate more cardio, like running or more jump rope. I'm an ectomorph, so endurance comes fairly easy for me. That's why I'm working on strength now since that's where I'm lacking.

I'm interested in knowing what the different types of exercise plans everyone is using and what your goals are.

I'm more on a powelifting plan that focuses on squat, bench, and deadlifts with some body weight stuff mixed in. I also jump rope beforehand to warm up. I have specific goals for these lifts, that once I reach them I might cut back on the frequency. I'd like to eventually add in overhead press and power cleans.

One day I'd also like to incorporate more cardio, like running or more jump rope. I'm an ectomorph, so endurance comes fairly easy for me. That's why I'm working on strength now since that's where I'm lacking.
Since I train strongman, my upper body is very overhead-press dominant.  Log and DB press are my two staples.  Occasional axle pressing, but since my shoulder surgery, I do less of it since pronating my hands is tougher than neutral grip.  Lots of tricep accessory work, and just enough bicep work to offset the tricep work - if I don't I get elbow pain.

Lower body is very posterior chain-focused.  Tons of good mornings, RDL's, lots of deadlift volume.  I typically squat twice a week, lighter full-depth and heavy front squats, unless the program I'm on says not to.  Deadlifts are partials, snatch grip, deficits, all sorts of variations.  Quad development comes from implement drags/pulls and the front squats.  

I also do "events" at least once a week.  Farmers carries, sandbag/keg carries, atlas stones, sled/chain drags, etc.  The beauty of it is that my training never gets stale.

Goals for this year are a 600lbs deadlift and 300lbs log press, in addition to placing well in my November competition.  I also have 10 more lbs to lose.

@Supe Where do you do all your training? At a strongman gym or at your house?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Supe Where do you do all your training? At a strongman gym or at your house?
I have a couple pieces of equipment at my house, but I workout 90% at a strongman gym, and maybe 10% at a box gym that's much closer for some accessory days or cardio if we're in a time crunch.  

I’m pretty sure I’m an endomorph. My goal right now is to lose weight and tone up more, in that order.

My exercise plan right now is just a 6-week plan from bowflex on their app. I’m running through it a second time. I’m hesitant to start anything else just yet since work is going to have me traveling again very soon.

Back