Nutrition, Diet, and Exercise: Notes, Goals, and Resources (these people just keep talking about crossfit)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I had done this last year but last night the wife and I went and did a hydro-static body fat testing (the one where they submerge you underwater - the wife was wanting us to both know our RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate) so we could accurately plan for how many calories we need with our current exercise regime. It was pretty cool. except the wife is now mad that I can enjoy an extra 1500 calories than her... ;)

We had it done at a chiropractors office so we could use our HSA $$ - but its only $45 bucks but I thought the data was really cool..

Also ignore my post about those higli machines at the grocery store, those machines said I was 27% Body Fat and the "pool test" (much more accurate) had me at 20%! (not bad for an old guy)
Maybe I will try this. Just to calibrate my scale at home.

giphy.gif

I know there are also air displacement pods (some of the more 'expensive' gyms have them).  Seems around $40.  I have an HSA account, so I might use it since I'm sure it can be considered a 'medical expense' (if I can buy contact solution with the HSA I dame sure can do a body fat comp)

Last edited by a moderator:
It was $90 for 2 people, I think one was $55? - Just do some searching for hydrostatic Body Fat Testinfg

My wife is an HSA junkie so she had it done at a chiropractors office near us so we could use our HSA account. But for only $50 bucks or so I would pay out of pocket..

But it tells you your lean muscle and bones weight and your actual fat lbs. plus some other data. But if you are using something like "myfitnessapp" to track food and exercise you can use your actual RMR to get it accurate.

My wife is an ICU RN but is also a (Non Practicing) Registered Dietitian, I am her only client but i am trying to add some lean muscle to help me do some things in the gym (like power clean 250 lbs by the end of the year) so I am letting her help me with how much protein . carbs . etc to eat..

We actually wanted to use the pods so we didn't have to "submerge underwater" but couldnt find one that fit our schedule - most were 9-4 PM type places, they each do the same I believe.

The water test was kind of a pain you have to blow out all the air in your lungs under water, which was harder than I thought it would be, took me like 5 tries..

Im down around 35 lbs this year, the wife down around 25lbs, were not really looking at the scale anymore, just wanted the data. But I really wish I had done this before I started working out so heavy this past year.. totally recommend!

Registered Dietitian
She should make an account here and drop knowledge on a forum full of engineers. I, for one, am always open to expert opinion.

Edit: maybe start a "ask a dietician" thread. That would be neat. And to get access it's a mandatory donation to EB and/or your local animal shelter.

It was $90 for 2 people, I think one was $55? - Just do some searching for hydrostatic Body Fat Testinfg

My wife is an HSA junkie so she had it done at a chiropractors office near us so we could use our HSA account. But for only $50 bucks or so I would pay out of pocket..

But it tells you your lean muscle and bones weight and your actual fat lbs. plus some other data. But if you are using something like "myfitnessapp" to track food and exercise you can use your actual RMR to get it accurate.

My wife is an ICU RN but is also a (Non Practicing) Registered Dietitian, I am her only client but i am trying to add some lean muscle to help me do some things in the gym (like power clean 250 lbs by the end of the year) so I am letting her help me with how much protein . carbs . etc to eat..
I want to get my PC numbers up. But, right now I'm trying get my DL numbers back to where they were before I moved.

I think 180lbs for me would be a good intermediate amount of weight.

250lbs seems like a lot, but idk how much you weigh.

She should make an account here and drop knowledge on a forum full of engineers. I, for one, am always open to expert opinion.

Edit: maybe start a "ask a dietician" thread. That would be neat. And to get access it's a mandatory donation to EB and/or your local animal shelter.
I've been trying to tell her to do this on the side, I think lots of people would pay for it. She just hated her job when she was an RD. I think after years of working with people who just wanted to pay for her to write menus or meal plans and then they would still eat Mcdonalds 4X a week.

Colorado doesn't license dietitians so anyone who takes a week long online class can sell nutrition services.  But I have been trying to encourage her to do some of this work, I think now that she  "walks the walk" she could easily help folks, like me who dont understand that I need XXXg of protein / carbs / fiber / etc (The Myfitness app is really good for all this btw)

She doesn't tell the "Nutritionist" at our gym that she is also an RD/LD. But she disagrees with their preaching that any dairy is horrible for you.  Her feeling is that just because you have abs doesn't mean you are a dietitian (To her its like an IT "person" calling themselves an Engineer)

But I will be happy to relay questions to her if you want?

But her things are usually:

1. Get your data (we were a year late)

2. Track what you eat

3. Exercise

4. Its okay to have a night with a beer and nachos from Rock Bottom Brewery every other week ;)

Back