Nutrition, Diet, and Exercise: Notes, Goals, and Resources (these people just keep talking about crossfit)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm interested in knowing what the different types of exercise plans everyone is using and what your goals are.

I'm more on a powelifting plan that focuses on squat, bench, and deadlifts with some body weight stuff mixed in. I also jump rope beforehand to warm up. I have specific goals for these lifts, that once I reach them I might cut back on the frequency. I'd like to eventually add in overhead press and power cleans.

One day I'd also like to incorporate more cardio, like running or more jump rope. I'm an ectomorph, so endurance comes fairly easy for me. That's why I'm working on strength now since that's where I'm lacking.
My main goal right now is to work myself up to going to the gym 3x/week.  Right now I go 2x/week and then go to a kickboxing class on Saturday at the same gym, but I don't count that class as it's more fun/special training than a real workout class (idk, that's just how my brain works).  I think in a month or two I will start doing a true 3x/week (MWF) and a weekend class.  I go to a gym that is run by a former Marine who is awesome!  It's a boot camp class, but with a ton of body-weight exercises combined with obstacle course racing.  He trains a ton of Spartans/ultra marathoners and each class has been different (my last class included pull-ups, which I suck at, and an elevated tire pull, which I was kinda okay at).  He's starting a couch to 5k/5k to half-marathon class at the gym in March that I am going to sign up for and, hopefully, I will run a 5k in May!  Super excited/scared about it, even though it's a small distance.

My overall goal: have arms/legs that make people scared and terrified at the same time.  Not sure if I will keep running after the 5k, but I know cardio is important.  I'll never have an hourglass figure, so I'll try and get a solid block figure.

I’m pretty sure I’m an endomorph. My goal right now is to lose weight and tone up more, in that order.

My exercise plan right now is just a 6-week plan from bowflex on their app. I’m running through it a second time. I’m hesitant to start anything else just yet since work is going to have me traveling again very soon.
How long have you been on your current program?

How long have you been on your current program?
I started back in December doing CICO and doing the 6-week workout plan I mentioned before. I completed the workout plan once before having to take a break due to work travel. I just started the program from the beginning again yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm interested in knowing what the different types of exercise plans everyone is using and what your goals are.

I'm more on a powelifting plan that focuses on squat, bench, and deadlifts with some body weight stuff mixed in. I also jump rope beforehand to warm up. I have specific goals for these lifts, that once I reach them I might cut back on the frequency. I'd like to eventually add in overhead press and power cleans.

One day I'd also like to incorporate more cardio, like running or more jump rope. I'm an ectomorph, so endurance comes fairly easy for me. That's why I'm working on strength now since that's where I'm lacking.
I am currently following this one (https://www.muscleandfitness.com/training/workout-routines/workout-plan-works-forever) since it targets most muscles and is short enough to squeeze in my daily commitments. I also swim and run one day a week. My goal is to just get toned and reduce body fat. 

Boooooo!  Attempt to get swole like me!  It'll be fun, I think?  I guess?  Maybe?
One of the requirements for being swole is you have to wear tank tops with the sides cut out. Another is you have to carry around a 1 gal jug of water.

Unrelated to "that which wont be mentioned" before I started "that which wont be mentioned" I set a goal last January to workout (or get some type of exercise) every day, even if it was a 1 mile run, bike for a bit,  lift some weights, or going skiing, snowshoeing, etc.  I did for around 3 months didnt miss a day - @ 45 years old and closer to 300 lbs than 200 lbs..  To those that are trying to work up to 3,4 days a week, the body is capable of so much more than we think it can handle (within reason of course) - before I did "that which wont be mentioned" I tried all kinds of stuff from straight up bro lifting, went to cycle bar a few times (it was winter) and even some yoga- which totally kicked my ass more than I thought It would..

I reduced calories at this time but also still ate like shit relative to how I do these days, I wish I had taken the nutrition part of it more series then because I feel I would be better off now. but it takes more time than we think it should!

I reduced calories at this time but also still ate like shit relative to how I do these days, I wish I had taken the nutrition part of it more series then because I feel I would be better off now. but it takes more time than we think it should!
Yeah, the struggle is real. For me, I just never got out of the “eat like a teenager all the time” stage, and was just starting to realize what a toll it takes on me.

Hopefully 27 isn’t too late to start making changes. :p  

Yeah, the struggle is real. For me, I just never got out of the “eat like a teenager all the time” stage, and was just starting to realize what a toll it takes on me.
I did actual dirty bulking for a while, and it seemed like it was working since I was getting stronger. I eventually started to stall on my lifts. Then life happened and I took a break from lifting. Then when I started back, I started eating "healthy" and I easily broke through the plateaus I struggled with. I was pretty shocked how much my diet directly affected my lifts.

But I don't want to buy new clothes and want to just fit in the ones I used to before becoming a dad.

you could just buy these https://www.lunaspuppets.com/2014/05/07/custom-silicone-popeye-arms/
I cannot fit in my clothes due to losing weight and it sucks.  I don't want to buy new clothes so I'm trying to stick to dressed and gratuitous use of belts.  As for those arms...they are too hairy, but my forearms did kinda look like that after I went to hard during strength training.  Got inflamed (?) and a little hot, so I started chugging a ton of water over a couple of days and the swelling went down with no problem.  Wasn't sore - just fat forearms.

One of the requirements for being swole is you have to wear tank tops with the sides cut out. Another is you have to carry around a 1 gal jug of water.
I WISH I COULD WEAR TANK TOPS LIKE THAT.  But I am not swole yet.  I am bby!fit, fit lite.  But I do tend to try and drink over a gallon of water a day from my thermo, because I am so dehydrated in Indy.  It's so...dry here.  I am parched 24/7/365.

I'm still trying to figure out my nutrition/that portion of things.  I used to eat crazy portions, which I've not cut to something more 'reasonable'.  I do tend to eat semi-healthy at work since I like to pack veggies to eat as snacks.  I think I need to get more protein in my diet, though, because I end up eating like a huge bag of kale salad as lunch for like a week, and my body literally starts craving hamburgers all the time.  Might start supplementing scrambled eggs or something for dinner a couple nights a week.

I cannot fit in my clothes due to losing weight and it sucks.
this sucks too but at least you can feel good about it. 

I reduced calories at this time but also still ate like shit relative to how I do these days, I wish I had taken the nutrition part of it more series then because I feel I would be better off now. but it takes more time than we think it should
This is the tougher part of getting fit. For now we are not eating as healthy as we should, but we have cut down on eating out and that has helped.

The new scale came in today! Says 17.3%. could be because I'm more hydrated and not wearing work clothes.

IMG_20200218_163600.jpg

Back