Nutrition, Diet, and Exercise: Notes, Goals, and Resources (these people just keep talking about crossfit)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you think 501kg is a little cheap?
Eddie had no problem when the previous records he set were 462, 463, and 465, so, no. 

IMO, with several months to train with a suit and peaking for that comp, Thor is capable of more than that, but has no obligation to do so, especially when promoters are willing to throw big money out each year for record breakers.  The guy just pulled a raw double with straps at over 1000 like it was nothing - even easier than the double he pulled at I think 815 before he broke the elephant bar record at The Arnold.

So today's workout is a 10K row with a partner - my partner will be my daughter, and in general that means I will need to do more work from past experiences.... so far the top time is 38:45 - I really want to beat that & I think well be the last class today -

Anyone got any strategy ideas? I am thinking I just do 500's as hard and fast as I can and then let the girl do 300-400?

So today's workout is a 10K row with a partner - my partner will be my daughter, and in general that means I will need to do more work from past experiences.... so far the top time is 38:45 - I really want to beat that & I think well be the last class today -

Anyone got any strategy ideas? I am thinking I just do 500's as hard and fast as I can and then let the girl do 300-400?
Do both of you have to use the same resistance?

I can adjust the damper when she gets onto the rower if it makes a difference? We normally just leave it at 5.

To best that time, your stroke rate ( :eyebrows: ) will need to be about 1:50 / 500 meters. Not super difficult, but not super easy either. I would recommend starting each of your turns with a "Power 10" or "Power 15", where you sprint start each session with 10 to 15 strokes as hard as you can go. Then settle into a rhythm. Sprinkle in a few power 10s or 20s, and I think it will be doable. The other key will be the transition onto the rower. When I was rowing in high school, there was a competition between the area high schools in a gym with a bunch of rowing machines to see which HS had the best rowers, power-wise. We would actually have someone to loosen the foot straps off the person on the rower, then tighten them on the new person for the team competition. Make sure you recover during your breaks...deep breaths, stretching, etc. Good luck!

Great idea I will use it- 6:00 sharp!!!

Although the other guy / gal teams are not fairing well so far....

But I’m gonna do a couple espresso shots!

Great idea I will use it- 6:00 sharp!!!

Although the other guy / gal teams are not fairing well so far....

But I’m gonna do a couple espresso shots!
What's the shortest time at the moment?

It’s still at 38:45 -no other times less than 40 min so far. We’ll see what the current 5 pm class does - it’s full...

Rowing is normally my jam but we’ll see! My 18 year old daughter is starting to push hard but it’s not always a fair fight men / women in the rower.

The 2 - 30 year old “kids” from 6 am class need to go down! //content.invisioncic.com/r86644/emoticons/default_wink.png

Well shit we ended up 3rd with 40:18... daughter did excellent but I don’t know if I could have gone much faster...legs and core are done...

Stayed close to 1:50 or a tad under/ over most of the time and I think the daughter was right at 2:05 / 500m for the first 8 (we did 500 each)- was fun.... not bad for a 46 year old and an 18 year old... maybe that averages at 30?

speaking of Eddie Hall, this is great!
Speaking of powerlifters doing Grace, I watched this little series a while ago and it turned out exactly as I thought it would. Powerlifter vs Weightlifter vs Bodybuilder vs Crossfit Athlete:

Introductions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn0Av0ZTvxE

Cleans, Grace:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1I4oZrZQXU

Deadlift, Physique, Eating Challenge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ5Sxlhn-3I

Sports:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8zK2uVX-YA

Okay.  I'm not using fitbit to track anything but calories.  Was ultra disappointed yesterday, since my carb intake was approx. 70-something % the whole day (they show their info as a pie graph, not with actual numbers).  Turned out a huge majority of that was a single egg I had for dinner.  So.  Fitbit for tracking calories.  Not for macros.

Okay.  I'm not using fitbit to track anything but calories.  Was ultra disappointed yesterday, since my carb intake was approx. 70-something % the whole day (they show their info as a pie graph, not with actual numbers).  Turned out a huge majority of that was a single egg I had for dinner.  So.  Fitbit for tracking calories.  Not for macros.
I use Lose It! For tracking my meals, including macros. Nicer interface anyway.

The new scale came in today! Says 17.3%. could be because I'm more hydrated and not wearing work clothes.

View attachment 16505
They had a deal, so I bought this scale.

At first the tare was off by 4 lbs, so I was slightly concerned.

Apparently according to it, I’m at 32% body fat.

They had a deal, so I bought this scale.

At first the tare was off by 4 lbs, so I was slightly concerned.

Apparently according to it, I’m at 32% body fat.
That's not far off from your tape measure reading of 34%. 

What was your percent water?

I use Lose It! For tracking my meals, including macros. Nicer interface anyway.
My plan is to just keep track of portions and snacking for right now and overall calories. I think it’s silly that some vegetables are considered “unhealthy” yet some diets are like “moar sour cream, please!”  I might look into another calorie tracker, like what you suggested, but I also don’t want to open multiple apps all the time if I don't have to?

Back