Nutrition, Diet, and Exercise: Notes, Goals, and Resources (these people just keep talking about crossfit)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also don’t want to open multiple apps all the time if I don't have to
unfortunately no app is better at everything. But fitbit syncs with other apps. so i can log my food intake in myfitnesspal and my weight %fat etc in weightgurus for example and then I can view all this info together in the fitbit app. 

I feel like this is a dumb question, but I am new to this whole 'working out thing'.  Is there a way to tell if your weight gain is from actual muscle, water, or just being a fatty?  I forgot to take measurements of myself when I first started, and when I've stepped on the scale the number has been slowly creeping up again (nothing crazy, but it'll be something like a 4lb difference from night time to morning, but the 'morning' number is slowly getting higher?).  I was thinking about getting one of those scales that attempts bodyfat, but I also don't want to pay for a new scale if I don't need to?

I feel like this is a dumb question, but I am new to this whole 'working out thing'.  Is there a way to tell if your weight gain is from actual muscle, water, or just being a fatty?
Without baseline measurements and without a measurement device, it's really difficult to tell muscle weight gains over a short period of time. Long term, the results should be visible.

Without baseline measurements and without a measurement device, it's really difficult to tell muscle weight gains over a short period of time. Long term, the results should be visible.
Hmmm, based off this answer, and the fact that my clothes are fitting semi-looser than normal, I'm going to keep recording the weight on my scale but not take it as a hard "I'm getting fat again" result if the number goes up.  I 'kinda' check every two weeks, but I sometimes check more often because my scale randomly turns on sometimes when I drop something in the bathroom (so I decide to just hop up).  I do think I am gaining more muscle mass, but I don't want to become one of those people who has a measuring tape all the time.

Since muscle is more dense than fat, you could still lose "size" but be gaining weight.

I dont weight myself anymore, I just go to Costco every 3 months and if I cant buy the next size smaller waist blue jeans, then I assume I am not doing enough or my nutrition isn't working! 

😉
Careful, that stops working once you've cut down to "Christian Bale in The Machinist" size.

I feel like this is a dumb question, but I am new to this whole 'working out thing'.  Is there a way to tell if your weight gain is from actual muscle, water, or just being a fatty?  I forgot to take measurements of myself when I first started, and when I've stepped on the scale the number has been slowly creeping up again (nothing crazy, but it'll be something like a 4lb difference from night time to morning, but the 'morning' number is slowly getting higher?).  I was thinking about getting one of those scales that attempts bodyfat, but I also don't want to pay for a new scale if I don't need to?
Don't compare morning weight to evening weight.

Pick one time of day to weigh and be consistent with that. It's typically suggested after waking & using the bathroom as the time to weigh yourself. 

And for scales that attempt bodyfat, they're inaccurate. Save that money to pay down debt or get something better: like a tub of whole-fat yogurt lol 

According to my whoop strap's monthly assessment report, my recovery increases by 3% for each hour I workout closer to my bed time. So I guess for me, the later in the day I workout, the better my recovery during the night and the following day.

this made me laugh out loud in a meeting inappropriately for some reason..

f545cff98afbf209f36883eadea7f051.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay.  So gym update.  I might start horseback riding again on Sundays which, yaaaaaaaaaaaay, but this does mean that I might not be able to keep up with my proposed gym schedule of 3x during the week+ Saturday since it would mean I would be 'doing' something every single day/have no 'slack off day'.  I'm having trouble balancing free time with gym time with other stuff in my schedule (like cleaning my apartment, meal prepping because if I don't do it nobody else will?).

Thoughts on how to be more efficient?  I don't think I can plan every minute of my day, but I think if I keep doing the gym + horseback riding I'll need to get ultra strict with grocery shopping and other random items in my life that I don't really want to get strict on (like, limiting grocery shopping to 30-minutes).

Dragging today. Threw myself onto the bike today and squeaked out a 30 minute spin. I usually do 45 minutes but I transitioned into a strength training workout afterwards and completed a pretty challenging 20-minute weight lifting workout. 

Proud because I am not feeling it. I skipped a power walk last night. I was wiped out. I really needed to recover from my 5 mile run on Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back