NFL 2016

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at Gillette.  I think the Jets were there as the Patriots seemed to line up against another team.  Great win for the home team.  Too bad they let NY get a field goal.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Jets were as dismal a team as I have watched this season.  Their two QBs combined were 8 of 24 with 3 interceptions and no TDs.  I am sure that Joe Namath even at age 73 could have done better than that.  

Falcons looking likely 2 seed and with the bye.

I will be at the game!  If somebody could take out Dallas so they get two at home thatd be great.

Oh man, I was SO sad to see Carr break his leg against the Colts. (Poor Mariota also, but the Raiders are headed to a first round bye in the playoffs and the Titans are.... not)

The only (kind of) silver lining of the day for me was that the Niners got their second win of the season... So that was kind of nice. I actually kind of feel more badly for the Rams that they lost to the Niners twice this season, than I am happy they got their second win.

I admit I haven't followed Tampa too closely, but with the same record as the Lions, how are they not in the playoffs?  Didn't they have a better division record than the Lions ended up with?  TB beat Seattle, split with the Falcons and also beat Chicago who the Lions split with (their only common opponent).

there must be some tie breaker between the two were not seeing.. I cant find it at first glance either

Oh they both lost to Dallas too, but TB lost by a much narrower margin (the Lions got blown out).  Doesn't seem to make sense to me at all.

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  9. Best net points in common games.
  10. Best net points in all games.
  11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  12. Coin toss

so ive been reading and it looks like it went down to #5 strength of victory?  It is still not really jumping out for me either..

Unfortunately for their fans, Tampa Bay didn’t get all the necessary help that it needed in the other games relevant to its fate. Actually, only two of the six contests produced the desired result. Tampa Bay needed three things to fall into place to nab a Wild Card spot: a tie in the New York Giants at Washington Redskins game, a Green Bay loss at Detroit and clinching the strength of victory tiebreaker over the Packers.

Strength of Victory Tiebreaker

Strength of victory is the fifth tiebreaker in the NFL procedures for breaking ties for a Wild Card spot between three or more teams. In order for the Buccaneers to have clinched that edge over Green Bay, Tampa Bay needed four teams to win their games: the Dallas Cowboys, the Indianapolis Colts, the San Francisco 49ers and the Tennessee Titans. When the Philadelphia Eagles defeated the Dallas Cowboys, it became impossible for the Buccaneers to nab the strength of victory tiebreaker over the Packers. Not having that tiebreaker therefore eliminated Tampa Bay from playoff contention, regardless of the fact that the Colts and Titans won their games.

Even if the Cowboys had won, Tampa Bay would have been eliminated when the Giants beat Washington. Once again, had the Giants and Washington played to a tie, the Buccaneers would have been eliminated when Seattle won. Finally, had both of those things went Tampa Bay’s way, the Buccaneers would have been eliminated when Green Bay defeated Detroit in the Sunday night game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that all seems pretty strange.  Wonder why strength of victory isn't higher on the list, if it counts for more than say better record in your division.  Just based on that, I can't see how it makes any sense.  And as an avid Seahawks fan, I sure don't want TB in the playoffs!  haha

Oh, and I just looked back at your earlier post, and those are the rules for a tiebreaker within a division, not a conference, so there must be some other order of importance for that.

From your link (this is what applies):

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
  2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
  4. Strength of victory.
  5. Strength of schedule.
  6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best net points in conference games.
  9. Best net points in all games.
  10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  11. Coin toss.

So, #1-3 are pretty much N/A.  No head to head (#1), same record in conference (#2), #3 is a bit of a wash, as I mentioned.  So #4 and all its whackery applies, it seems.

gotcha, I didn't scroll down far enough!  this is almost as fucked up as my work FF tie breaker which was "most bench points" WTF??

I think NE's dominance says more about how weak their division is than it does about their team.  They go into the playoffs largely unrestrained and unhurt.

FWIW, Buffalo was one of the Pats two losses this year.  I'm not seeing your point.

Belichick runs a tight ship and Brady has consistently proven himself.

Not too mention numerous other standout players that provide significant depth so that the team can handle star players on the injured list wthout collapsing.

Haters just gotta hate..

Latest posts

Back