MICHIGAN - RESULTS

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
singlespeed,

THANKS so much for your help and information. I think this is helping me to develop a plan. Perhaps I'll run it by Michael Pillow via Email before I submit.

I'll list my work experience from current to oldest (Since Graduating)

1) Current job (3 years)

2) Short job (30 days)

3) Time off Traveling (1 year)

4) Old Job (2.5 years)

5) Grad School (2 Years)

6) Extended internship following BSME until grad school started (6 months)

I'll then use my PE Contacts as follows:

1) PE from a contract customer for 8 months while working for my current employer.

2&3) PEs I worked for/with at my Old Job (2.5 years)

That combines to be over 3 years working directly with PEs, which covers me (MSME counts as a year off the 4)

I'll try to get a 4th PE reference from the Old Job, but I'm not sure where he is now.

I will have to assume that the references I'm listing in "work Experience" are to confirm that work. I'll use some of them on my Experience Verification Forms. I'll also have second references from the same jobs who won't be listed on the Work Experience Report.

WHEW. I think I'm starting to pull this together.

If anyone has thoughts, I'd love to hear them!

-Ben

Yes, I have the form somewhere, but I found the attached files on the MI site yesterday - you can see that the same link got me two different files (with the same filename!) - so sometimes the site is messed up.
A useful contact:

"Michael Pillow" <[email protected]> This is the guy that will review your application. He works for Gloria Keene (who is listed on the website).

As Ben mentions, mail the verification forms to your references and include a stamped envelope addressed to the State certification board.

The five boxes on the verification report do not necessarily have to match the verification forms (per M. Pillow), but I would get it as close as you can.

Ben - don't worry about the year off gap; if I remember correctly, on the back side of the verification report, you sum up the work experience you're claiming.

I would also suggest that when you mail your verification report to the state, include a short note to Mike Pillow with your contact information and say something like.... if there is anything that appears to be missing or confusing, please contact me.

Congrats again to you all and good luck with the forms

ps took me about 8 weeks to get my number

Also, I don't know if anyone noticed this, but in the instructions to the reference (top of side 2 of the experience verification form) it says "In addition you must have a license from the state in which the applicant performed work while under your supervision." ?!?!?!? Nowhere else does it say your references have to be your supervisor, and it explicits states that only 3 of the references have to be PEs. :mail-296: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Yeah, I saw that too.

This should be great. At no point was my direct manager a PE..... but, I worked with guys who were.

I don't have 5 PE's, only about 3 or 4 that I can use.

I suppose I'll have to drop eveyone a note saying to 'disregard' that part about their license if they don't have a license.......

Best of all, We were all working in California for about 2.5 years of my experience.

(I can't wait to see if that messes me up)

ugh.

-Ben

One of my PE references doesn't have a stamp (never did) so he's just going to put his number in the box and sign it - not very "professional". I hope Mike Pillow is the forgiving kind of guy. Thoughts??? ModernDoug

One of my PE references doesn't have a stamp (never did) so he's just going to put his number in the box and sign it - not very "professional". I hope Mike Pillow is the forgiving kind of guy. Thoughts??? ModernDoug
I aksed my department's director for a reference and he said sure, he does it quite often. He added that he just recently got his first stamp (he got his license about 25 years ago); he used to just sign and put his number in the box. So it shouldn't be a problem.

One more thing - my post-grad experience started with Oldsmobile and ended in 1990, I just put N/A for verifying reference. I think it will fly because I'm well over the 4 year requirement and that was 17 years ago (not to mention that the entire division is GONE!). Any other good work history stories?

Doug,

Let me know if you find out anything about the 'no stamp' issue.

In my line of work (Private Company Product Development) PEs almost never stamp anything. One of my refernces doesn't have his stamp anymore beacuse it crumbled after 30 years of not needing it.

He'll get a new stamp if I'll spring for it, but I'd rather find out that Name and Licnese number is sufficient.

:waitwall: :p10940623:

I thought this was supposed to be the "EASY" part of the process!!!!

-Ben

Doug,
Let me know if you find out anything about the 'no stamp' issue.

In my line of work (Private Company Product Development) PEs almost never stamp anything. One of my refernces doesn't have his stamp anymore beacuse it crumbled after 30 years of not needing it.

He'll get a new stamp if I'll spring for it, but I'd rather find out that Name and Licnese number is sufficient.

:waitwall: :p10940623:

I thought this was supposed to be the "EASY" part of the process!!!!

-Ben
Nothing official yet. My "stampless" PE indicated that he has just "signed" other references w/o an issue before. It was mailed yesterday, so I'll see what "THE ENGINEER BOARD" has to say about it. I have 4 PEs, 6 total references, so maybe this will be a wash in the end.

Nothing official yet. My "stampless" PE indicated that he has just "signed" other references w/o an issue before. It was mailed yesterday, so I'll see what "THE ENGINEER BOARD" has to say about it. I have 4 PEs, 6 total references, so maybe this will be a wash in the end.
Also, they should have the PE's signature on file, maybe they compare them???

Doug,

I just got an Email back from J. Michael Pillow that states it is OK to for a reference to not have a stamp for your form as long as they list state and license number.

I've asked for his permission to post his letter. If he agrees, I'll include it here.

-Ben

I've asked for his permission to post his letter. If he agrees, I'll include it here.-Ben

OK. I've got permission from the source, so I'll post his asnwer to my questions here:

Ben,
The Work Experience Report is a summary of your work experience. Each box has a space to list each of the five verifying references that will complete the Experience Verification Form for you. If you have more than one reference for the same job, list the names in the different boxes on the WER, describe the job once and in the next box for the second reference, just write “same as above” for the job/company information. The EVF is designed for you to complete page #1 and give to the reference with a blank page#2. The reference completes page #2 and mails both pages to the address on the form. If the reference does not have a seal, he just needs to list the State where he is licensed and his/her license number. I hope this answers your questions.

I thought this helped to clear up quite a bit.

Hope this helps all of you!

-Ben

OK. I've got permission from the source, so I'll post his asnwer to my questions here:I thought this helped to clear up quite a bit.

Hope this helps all of you!

-Ben
From the letter, it appears that a PE from any state will do. The form explicitly states that "you must have a license from the state in which the applicant performed work while under your supervision". I have worked in Michigan with PE's from other states (no Michigan reciprocity) and I have worked with Michigan PEs with lapsed licenses. What is your interpretation on these situations, I don't think they would count. Thanks, ModernDoug

From the letter, it appears that a PE from any state will do. The form explicitly states that "you must have a license from the state in which the applicant performed work while under your supervision". I have worked in Michigan with PE's from other states (no Michigan reciprocity) and I have worked with Michigan PEs with lapsed licenses. What is your interpretation on these situations, I don't think they would count. Thanks, ModernDoug

My first thought would be that those would not count.... but you are well beyond my authority to predict in these matters.

I've got a hunch that three licensed PEs giving you the 'thumbs up' would be good, regardless of the state you were in when you worked together.

I am so glad that I am not the only person with 'special' circumstances!

:bananalama: :brickwall: :multiplespotting:

Also, I have been informed that state regulations dictate that I invite all my references for beers after work one day this week. Has anyone else been so advised?
I've been told it's expected I bring in donuts for the department because I passed. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Our department even has a Donut Standard--required occasions, minimum dimensions, approved vendors, etc.

Thanks so much, Ben. I ended up filling my work experience form out exactly as Mr. Pillow stated, but still wondered if I was doing it right. My mind is at ease now.

I'm glad it helped.

I really need to crank through this paperwork and get it out by the end of the week!

-Ben

I really need to crank through this paperwork and get it out by the end of the week!
It took me half the day Monday, most of yesterday and a couple hours today to get everything done. Thankfully workload is light this time of year for me.

I just sent emails to everyone at my last job, and dropped off my form for someone at my first job. Is there anything more awkward then writing an email to your boss, who you just quit on (less than 3 weeks ago), and asking him to fill out the verification form? UGH....

oh well...

I just sent emails to everyone at my last job, and dropped off my form for someone at my first job. Is there anything more awkward then writing an email to your boss, who you just quit on (less than 3 weeks ago), and asking him to fill out the verification form? UGH....
oh well...
I can see how that would be a little..... awkward!

:D

-Ben

It took me half the day Monday, most of yesterday and a couple hours today to get everything done. Thankfully workload is light this time of year for me.

It's frustrating to put 'detail' in (as requested) when they only give to two lines on your Work Experience Report.

:brickwall:

Latest posts

Back