MICHIGAN - RESULTS

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple weeks ago, I went to the MDLEQ office in Okemos (where I work) and the guy told me to complete the RECIPRICOL Application. The folks who maintain the website screwed it up and removed the regular application. So he told me to complete the recipricol application and to cross out "recipricol."
Maybe it's the state budget cuts; they can't afford to process two different types of applications.

But seriously; it does look like the Reciprocal application would work, but is the fee the same ($75)?

Here's the Link

Or you can try the very convoluted way to get there

www.michigan.gov

Business & Economic Growth

Licensing & Permits

Department of Labor & Economic Growth

Forms & Publications

Commercial Services - Forms

Licensing Forms - PE Forms

Application (PE).pdf

or PM me and I'll send you the file (can't figure out how to attach file to this message)

Congrats to all the successful MI examinees!!!

peexam.pdf

Attachments

• peexam.pdf
    20.1 KB · Views: 73
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the Link
Or you can try the very convoluted way to get there

www.michigan.gov

Business & Economic Growth

Licensing & Permits

Department of Labor & Economic Growth

Forms & Publications

Commercial Services - Forms

Licensing Forms - PE Forms

Application (PE).pdf

or PM me and I'll send you the file (can't figure out how to attach file to this message)

Congrats to all the successful MI examinees!!!
Once again.... all I get is a FAQ.

Am I missing something obvious???????

Sorry for the confusion - the MI website coupled with my ignorance of message board skills has probably led you to wonder how the hell I passed that exam :)

Anyway...the second file (the larger one) is the application in my modified post above

Sorry for the confusion - the MI website coupled with my ignorance of message board skills has probably led you to wonder how the hell I passed that exam :)
Anyway...the second file (the larger one) is the application in my modified post above
Awesome--you're the BOMB! Did you find that file on the state's website, or did you just happen to have a copy lying around?

SWEET!

Thanks singlespeed.

Now it looks like I need to spend some time filling out the paperwork!!!

Hopefully I can send this all off by the end of the week.

-Ben

thanks for finding the pdf! just for the record - it looks as though they have updated their website, so the correct file is on the website they sent out. (i'm sure the number of voicemails they had when they came in monday morning was a little overwhelming)

have you guys filled out the forms yet? Do we send back the verification forms or does whoever fills them out send them back? it looks like in the instructions we should send them, however at the end of the form it says to return the form to the office in michigan (which i'm assuming would be for the person filling them out to mail it in)

geez - i can pass a test, but i can't fill out a simple form... go figure.

have you guys filled out the forms yet? Do we send back the verification forms or does whoever fills them out send them back? it looks like in the instructions we should send them, however at the end of the form it says to return the form to the office in michigan (which i'm assuming would be for the person filling them out to mail it in)
geez - i can pass a test, but i can't fill out a simple form... go figure.
These forms are a big mess. I think the experience forms are supposed to be mailed directly by the person giving the reference. That's what it seems to say at the very top of Side 2 (in bold). I'm going to provide an envelope addressed to the board to each of my references so they don't have any excuse to dilly-dally.

These forms are a big mess. I think the experience forms are supposed to be mailed directly by the person giving the reference. That's what it seems to say at the very top of Side 2 (in bold). I'm going to provide an envelope addressed to the board to each of my references so they don't have any excuse to dilly-dally.
mudpuppy & Raanne,

I read it the same way. 1 Experience Verification Form mailed from me to the reference. I'll include a stamped and addressed envelope for them to send it along when they are done.

Now, may I contribute to the "smart enough to pass a test, but not to get the forms right" discussion???

Do the five boxes in the "Work Experience Report" need to match the 5 "Experience Verification Forms" I am sending out?

My work history looks like this:

2.5 years at Company A

1 year off to travel.

1 month with Company B (Didn't work out)

3 years with Company C doing contract work for Companies D, E, and F.

To be correct on my "Work Experience Report", I would have to list:

Company C

Company B

Company A

Unfortunately, this leaves that GAP that the form says I can't have between Companyies A and B.

To make matters worse, I don't really want to use a reference from Company B since my tenure was 30 days.

I'd really like to use references from A (2) C (2) and D(1)

Can I list the companies in correct order on the "Work Experience Report" and then have references that are not listed there????

Am I making this too difficult?

I've worked TOO hard to mess this up now!

help?

-Ben

I spent all afternoon poring over these forms, and they got me more frustrated than I've been in quite a while.

Your problem crossed my mind when I read that form--what if someone *does* have a gap in experience? Gotta love government bureaucracy. I have the opposite problem; I've been in the same job the past six years (actually I have a little experience between when I got my BS and when I started my MS, but I'm not even going to try to document that). I figured at first I could just list my current job once, but there isn't space to put all five references in one box. I'm guessing one of the purposes of this form is to provide your references' addresses so the board can contact them if they don't get the form back. So I guess I'll just repeat everything five times, changing only the reference's name and address. This is the long way to answer your first question, i.e., yes I think the work experience form should match the experience verification forms.

The form does say "attach additional sheets if necessary" at the top, so in your case I think I would document the gap in one of the spaces and lump the 13 months (including comapny :15: together and call it something like "non-relevant experience" and leave the employer and reference fields blank. Then I'd attach a second sheet (another copy of the same form?) to make up for that space.

Of course, it wouldn't hurt to call them and ask. I'm sure you're not the only person with this issue. If you do, let us know what you learn.

Also, I don't know if anyone noticed this, but in the instructions to the reference (top of side 2 of the experience verification form) it says "In addition you must have a license from the state in which the applicant performed work while under your supervision." ?!?!?!? Nowhere else does it say your references have to be your supervisor, and it explicits states that only 3 of the references have to be PEs. :Locolaugh: :Locolaugh: :Locolaugh:

Congrats to mudpuppy, jd_chi02, BigBen, Raanne, and ALBin517!!!!!!!!! :15: :Locolaugh:

JR

I spent all afternoon poring over these forms, and they got me more frustrated than I've been in quite a while.

I don't know how many hours I spent on those forms over the past few weeks.

writing experience summaries

addressing the envelopes

requesting that Florida send proof of my Fundamentals exam

Probably five or six hours total - that's why I started working on the forms around June 1.

I sure hope that the state is flexible w.r.t. line-up of references and work experience chronology. I'm at a major auto OEM and my work history covers a lot of territory, but all with the same company. The issue is that PEs are not pletiful in most of the groups I've worked, so my licensed PE references will all track to a couple of assignments. My plan is to just keep sending more and more references to them until they capitulate and license me! ModernDoug

Yes, I have the form somewhere, but I found the attached files on the MI site yesterday - you can see that the same link got me two different files (with the same filename!) - so sometimes the site is messed up.

A useful contact:

"Michael Pillow" <[email protected]> This is the guy that will review your application. He works for Gloria Keene (who is listed on the website).

As Ben mentions, mail the verification forms to your references and include a stamped envelope addressed to the State certification board.

The five boxes on the verification report do not necessarily have to match the verification forms (per M. Pillow), but I would get it as close as you can.

Ben - don't worry about the year off gap; if I remember correctly, on the back side of the verification report, you sum up the work experience you're claiming.

I would also suggest that when you mail your verification report to the state, include a short note to Mike Pillow with your contact information and say something like.... if there is anything that appears to be missing or confusing, please contact me.

Congrats again to you all and good luck with the forms

ps took me about 8 weeks to get my number

I was under the impression that you needed someone from each of your years that you are counting as experience - so you can not leave a certain employer off. (Part of the requirement was that you had to work under a PE for 4 years, so I think you need to prove that at least one person you worked with at that job has their license.)

I was going to provide a SASE with each of my references - as you can provide more than 5 references if you want, it might not hurt to provide a non-PE reference for the time you were traveling or working at other non-relevant jobs, just so there wasn't a "gap". In addition - the PE at my current job said it does not need to be someone you worked for / in the same company with. If you are in consulting engineering (say, mechanical) and you work with an electrical firm, you can ask someone who you've worked on jobs with, but is in a different company, to be a reference.

I was going to ask 7 people, because i'm afraid someone wont send it back or something. (i have worked with absent minded people in the past!)

I sure hope that the state is flexible w.r.t. line-up of references and work experience chronology. I'm at a major auto OEM and my work history covers a lot of territory, but all with the same company. The issue is that PEs are not pletiful in most of the groups I've worked, so my licensed PE references will all track to a couple of assignments. My plan is to just keep sending more and more references to them until they capitulate and license me! ModernDoug

The state requires five references and I'm sending out six. In case somebody drags their feet...

But I regularly communicate with all six guys I'm asking for references. So I should know when the forms are returned.

-ALB

Also, I have been informed that state regulations dictate that I invite all my references for beers after work one day this week. Has anyone else been so advised?

Back