Maryland Exam Information

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2 cents

Part of the engineering and the responsibility of an engineer is to follow the guidelines and standards and personal responsibility. Yes suck to be kicked out at the last minutes, You can't assumed they saw it at the beginning of the exam or assuming the proctors knows what is a fitbit. Educated assumption isa  ok but wild assumption will get you in trouble just like you assuming the the ground is clear to dig without any locate
I don't disagree. But, out of the 10 or so who were kicked out; how many do you think would have took a Fitbit if this change had been properly communicated?

Why wasn't it consistently enforced across all the testing sites? When my Chief Proctor made an announcement 5 minutes before the exam started that there "had been a change...", what change had occurred or prompted him to make a sudden announcement?

There's certainly some shared blame on both the examinee and NCESS; however, I'm putting a lot of this on NCEES. They could done a lot of preventive exam administration if it was communicated better and they had better trained proctors. 

I don't disagree. But, out of the 10 or so who were kicked out; how many do you think would have took a Fitbit if this change had been properly communicated?

Why wasn't it consistently enforced across all the testing sites? When my Chief Proctor made an announcement 5 minutes before the exam started that there "had been a change...", what change had occurred or prompted him to make a sudden announcement?

There's certainly some shared blame on both the examinee and NCESS; however, I'm putting a lot of this on NCEES. They could done a lot of preventive exam administration if it was communicated better and they had better trained proctors. 
Again assumption how many ...we don't know. 

When the rules are changed then? The same day of the exam or prior? Also, you are signing that piece of paper prior taking the exam in the room. Read what you signed right? 

When it comes to NCEES, expect the unexpected. As Ken said, they are unregulated and seating in their power throne at their ivory tower. They can do whatever they want and that is the bottom line 'cause NCEES says so.
My question is... at what point do States say enough is enough and start holding them more accountable?

Again assumption how many ...we don't know. 

When the rules are changed then? The same day of the exam or prior? Also, you are signing that piece of paper prior taking the exam in the room. Read what you signed right? 
You're right, it's an assumption. But, come on... you know there might be 1 joker who would still wear it. The vast majority of examinees are ethical folks.

Well, some folks are claiming they did read the Guide and it was tucked away in another section.

At the end of the day, it's a huge mess and there were opportunities on both side of the aisle to prevent it.

I understand the rules but there is something that seems to be ignored here. The candidates have so much to worry about: Do I have the right calculator? Are my references enough? And you name it. Now they have to read the fine print too. Hey, all could have been avoided with a fair warning at the beginning. It is beyond me why they waited 7 hours to nail them. If you ask me, it was intentional. 10 more that will have to come back for another try. Cha ching!!!!!! $$$$$.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I took the PE in Maryland. I cannot see how they could possibly justify invalidating the entire states exams. Not only from a monetary issue but from a time issue. Anyone that has really prepared for this exam knows the amount of hours you spend studying. You cannot get that time back. And because the exam is only offered 2x a year it's not like you would be able to retake it without studying again. This was a retake for me and I studied more this time around than last time (by A LOT). 

I imagine the people who followed all the rules would have a pretty big case against NCEES if they are forced to retake. 

24 minutes ago, iwire said: My 2 cents Part of the engineering and the responsibility of an engineer is to follow the guidelines and standards and personal responsibility. Yes suck to be kicked out at the last minutes, You can't assumed they saw it at the beginning of the exam or assuming the proctors knows what is a fitbit. Educated assumption isa  ok but wild assumption will get you in trouble just like you assuming the the ground is clear to dig without any locate
I don't disagree. But, out of the 10 or so who were kicked out; how many do you think would have took a Fitbit if this change had been properly communicated?Why wasn't it consistently enforced across all the testing sites? When my Chief Proctor made an announcement 5 minutes before the exam started that there "had been a change...", what change had occurred or prompted him to make a sudden announcement?

One problem with your theory. It is clearly stated and well known that cell phones are prohibited yet many people still bring them in the room with them. Not that difficult to lock it on your car or leave it at home.

Not everyone pays attention to the details.

One problem with your theory. It is clearly stated and well known that cell phones are prohibited yet many people still bring them in the room with them. Not that difficult to lock it on your car or leave it at home.

Yes, but a reminder was announced that if you had a cell phone to surrender it. The same was done for Fitbits at the last minute at my site.

I still fall back on the idea that they didn't know what a fitbit looked like.  90% of proctors are retired and not the most fitness minded.  Maybe it took them a while to realize that the fitbits were not wrist watches. Either way if I'd be red hot mad if I'd been ousted in hour 7. 

You're right, it's an assumption. But, come on... you know there might be 1 joker who would still wear it. The vast majority of examinees are ethical folks.

Well, some folks are claiming they did read the Guide and it was tucked away in another section.

At the end of the day, it's a huge mess and there were opportunities on both side of the aisle to prevent it.

I'd like to reiterate a few things:

1. The only time I would have been instructed to read the full candidate agreement was when I signed up for the test on December 7, 2015, more than 4 months before the exam date. I believe I did this as I made a good faith effort to read everything provided to me from the state board, Prometric (where I took the CA specific exams on the computer) and NCEES. There were a lot of rules and regulations between these 3 bodies but I did my best.

2. I was only instructed to read the front and back of the exam booklet on the day of the test and then to sign. Nowhere on the front or back did it talk about fitbits.The cell phone and calculator policy were clearly mentioned.

3. At my site, the cell phone and calculator policy were also verbally announced by the proctors.

4. The only location where fitness trackers are mentioned are on page 27 of the examinee guide, in the candidate agreement (which is in the appendix of the examinee guide.) There is a separate section for test day policies, which does not include fitness trackers in the banned item list and which does not refer you to read further into the document for more banned items. Therefore, I would have had to know to read the entirety of a 38 page document, not just paper-exam day policies, in order to get this information.

5. I would have definitely taken off my fitbit if I was instructed to do so before the exam. As it is, I've lost out on thousands of dollars of test fees, travel expenses, and time off work, not to mentioned the months of studying I did prior to the test and the prep I will need to do in the future when retaking.

I agree, I was given this information at some point in time and some of the blame falls on me. However, I made a good faith effort to know and understand all of the rules; with the points above (and the shear number of people this happened to) I hope people can understand how this was so easily missed. This was such an easily avoidable situation for NCEES, which is why I agree that a lot of the blame also falls on them.

Yes, but a reminder was announced that if you had a cell phone to surrender it. The same was done for Fitbits at the last minute at my site.

Yeah, I don't have a car, was dropped off and needed a phone to contact my ride. So I surrendered my phone at the door.

It seems pretty common practice. I left mine in the rental car the first time I took the exam, but others had taken theirs into the exam room.

Side comment: Did anyone else feel like a sitting duck at the Sac convention center last October? One ancient rent-a-cop, easily a couple thousand people, all with suitcases. Not to seem paranoid, but I was kinda happy someone in our room had a cell phone.

I know there are details written by NCEES, on their website, probably mailed to you, emailed, notarized, etc..

I just think its good practice for the testers to have some kind of standard written statement that they require someone in the exam room read (preferably younger than 70) with a list of everything that can get you expelled from the exam room. Cant take more than 30 seconds..

The mindset that well it was on our website and we cant expect our proctors to make a decision so they just expel you from the test site is a total copout in my opinion.  .02

There was a hint...page 27 of the examinee guide. Can someone remember what the deal is with the other 26 pages?...Exactly!!!!!

Huh. It's not there today. 

I hope everyone that wasn't removed is safe. Seems like NCEES would release a statement, even if it is to the effect of "this is what happened, under investigation, blah, blah, blah." 

Back