Finally Signing up for PE Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texasguy86

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've been a long time lurker for years but I've never made an account. I graduated with a BS in Civil Engineering in 2009. I took the FE in college and a few years after college but didn't pass. I've been working full time since graduation and just never made the effort to retake it. I kept pushing it off. Well, the time has come for me to finally do this bucket list item. In order for me to move up more where I've worked since graduation, I need those Certs. I have dreams of reaching GS-15+ status and not being Licensed is one of my negative points.

Through talking with hire ups, they have been pushing all Engineers to get Licenses. Because of this, they have provided information on states where you can sit for the PE and bypass the FE. There are 5 states. I decided to go with Tennessee. I've been in contact with the TN board and they've answered a few of my questions. You don't have to be a resident to take the PE test. Once approved, you can take the CBT at any testing center in the US. For those of you wondering, I was for the Gov't. Therefore, PE is the only requirement for many high level jobs. It doesn't matter what state it is in. I don't have to be registered in the state that I work in. I think this is one of the great things about the new CBT requirements. I'm in the process of getting my references and filling out the application so that I can schedule the test. I've actually started study for the FE again early this year be with this new advancement, I'm going to switch to preparing for the PE.

For those wondering, here are the states where you can bypass the FE and sit for the PE. Every state has their own experience requirements so I advise you to research each state.

NH
RI
MN
TN
TX

Back