looking for a new car

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problem. Just wanted you to know it really wasn't a slam.
Oddly enough, two of our Chevies are made in America. One was made in Canada.
Lol. My "German Engineered" Jetta was made in Mexico... At one point last year I was talking with some VW enthusiasts and they said something to the effect that there are only about 2-3 VW models available that are actually made in Germany. The rest are in Canada / Mexico.

Lol. My "German Engineered" Jetta was made in Mexico... At one point last year I was talking with some VW enthusiasts and they said something to the effect that there are only about 2-3 VW models available that are actually made in Germany. The rest are in Canada / Mexico.
I do know that the old Bug was available in Mexico, I believe right up until the new one premiered. I was 15 in Cozumel, and saw a brand new bug, plastic on the seats and everything. My initial (dumb) thought was "wow, they really have that car in pristine condition for it's age.

Probably unrelated, but I thought I'd share.

My 89 Civic was made in Canada. My 02 Sentra was made in Mayheeco.

FWIW, I think the American companies caught up with the Japanes brands in the mid nineties. My 98 Ranger was a well put together peice.

+1
I too enjoy driving new vehicles. While I don't turn them over as quickly as jmbeck, I still turn over a vehicle in about 3-4 years. I am willing & comfortable with paying this premium. I understand both sides of the argument.

I always have this argument with my parents each time I get a new car. They feel a car is used to get from point A to point B, that's it. I however, LOVE TO DRIVE. Because I spend ~3 hours per day behind the wheel of my car, I want that car to have every creature comfort I can (leather, heated seats, satilite radio, etc.) and also have a performance aspect that makes the ~3 hours per day enjoyable (spory suspension, powerful engine, etc).

If you want to drive a 4-5 year old car, good for you. I have no issues with what you choose to do with your money, but I do ask that the financial lectures be saved for your kids.
+1 I lease a car. Let the scolding begin.

And I just took it that it was another constraint for vehicle recommendations. Such as "You know, Nissan has 0% financing".
I don't have a problem with saying "I'm looking at something in X price range", but when you follow that sentence with "I have no job" and your price range is in the realm of luxury vehicle price it's going to illicit a response from most people that this may not be the most prudent decision.

Additionally, she was adding it will become a high mileage vehicle once she gets a job.
You don't need a brand new $35k vehicle for it to be a serviceable high mileage vehicle. I believe quite the opposite. Since the miles kill the value of a vehicle, and new vehicles depreciate quickly anyway why would to want put a lot of miles on a brand new car?

I'm just pointing out that this thread quickly became an "OMG, you're ignorant for considering a new car, especially with no job, buy a 5 year old Corolla!".
It did quickly become a discussion about how purchasing a new vehicle of that caliber while not being employed didn't seem to be the best idea. I don't think anyone told her to go buy a 5 year old Corolla, but if you have one to sell I might be in the market. :p

I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to react that way. What was your reaction to hearing about Octomom? An unemployed mother of six opts for fertility treatments resulting in 8 more children? I think the general consensus was WTF? Clearly, buying a car is no where near the same level as having 8 kids, but when you tell someone that you are undertaking a sizable financial obligation and you are not employed it will illicit a response.

And maybe I'm wrong.
Finally, something we can agree on. ;)

I just know that I wouldn't like the condescending attitude in a lot of these posts directed toward me.
Maybe the posts came across as condescending ( I know I have a tendency to come across that way). I don't think that was the intent though. Based on the information given I think people were a little bit taken aback but the situation. The conversation did eventually steer its way back to the topic of cars and not personal finances.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a personal preference for the Japanese cars. I own a 2003 Honda Accord EX and a 2006 Acura MDX Touring. They have been great cars. Before that I had a 1996 Isuzu Trooper that took almost no maintenance and had 183k miles on it that would still be humming along today if I hadn't been a dumbass and run a red light last year. Before that I had a 1988 Isuzu Trooper that my youngest brother is still driving with over 200k miles on it. Still the original engine and transmission. I think GM bought a large stake in Isuzu around 1998 and look what happened to them. I would have bought another Isuzu had GM not turned them into total pieces of shit. I'm a tad bitter about this if you can't tell.

On the other hand, my dad still drives a 1996 Chevy Tahoe. The engine blew out on that car at 90k miles, busted seals, thrown rods and he never drove it over 4000 RPM. My mom's last car was a 1996 Chrysler Town & Country. I think my parents put three transmissions in that car and finally got rid of it at 160k miles. Needless to say my parents are no longer interested in American cars. My mom bought an Acura MDX for her next car and my dad is looking at Toyota Sequoias.

I did not intend to sound condescending in my post.

Isuzu has indeed co opted with GM for many of their vehicles. The trooper for example uses the 4.3 GM V6. Many of their vehicles are "badge engineered" GM vehicles.

On the topic of the Tahoe dropping the engine at 90K I would say that's not abnormal. It is not unusual for GM smallblocks to crap out at 100K. The costs of replacement are minimal so many people simply drop a new crate motor in when the time comes.

On the Chrylser, neither Chrylser nor Ford have perfected front wheel drive transmissions. I am unsure why, given that some Japanese (not all Japanese cars are good) makes have very good front wheel drive transmissions. I would guess one reason would be that American engines generally produce more torque versus Japanese engines.

Becoming a pretentious prick is part of the curriculum
I bet they teach that class on the liberal arts side of campus.

Chrysler UltraDrive is world renowned as a pile o'poo. It's a shame the guys that designed the 727 and the A-833 could foist UltraDrive on the world.

liberal arts? I'm unfamiliar with this term, could you please elaborate?

I but when you tell someone that you are undertaking a sizable financial obligation and you are not employed it will illicit a response.
Personal employment status is not the only indicator of financial capability. My high school friend started working at Microsoft pre-Windows, and is now retired. He can afford any car he wants.

You have to take into account what a person's spouse makes as well. I'm not saying this is the case for the person we're discussing here, but i don't think there are any hard and fast rules here. You can buy a used lemon, or make out great over time with a new car.

Personal employment status is not the only indicator of financial capability.My high school friend started working at Microsoft pre-Windows, and is now retired. He can afford any car he wants.
You have to take into account what a person's spouse makes as well. I'm not saying this is the case for the person we're discussing here, but i don't think there are any hard and fast rules here. You can buy a used lemon, or make out great over time with a new car.
Agreed. It was assumed in this case however that as squishless was actively looking for employment that she was not independently wealthy.

You can also buy a new lemon (been there, done that) or a used car that makes out great over time.

"me being unemployed isnt that big of a deal- remember we live in texas and its not that expensive to live here. we live off of my husbands paycheck each month fine without me making anything, and that assumes i dont get unemployment, which i do."

Let's not forget that she is getting unemployment (which implies that in the end, that it really is our problem)...

Let's not forget that she is getting unemployment (which implies that in the end, that it really is our problem)...
To what extent is that your problem?

Since maybe 1/1,000,000,000 of your taxes goes to her unemployment (which she paid into when she worked, by the way) you have some sort of stake in telling her how to live?

Back