looking for a new car

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In an effort to get this thread back on track...I really like the new Mini Cooper S, and will probably start looking for one when I get my current car paid off. Does anybody here own one, or have you driven/ridden in one? Are they as much fun as people seem to think, or are they over-hyped? Can I fit a set of golf clubs in the trunk? Are they worth the $18k that they cost (new or used...the demand is so high, they are hardly depreciating at this point).
Might wanna make sure you can fit you all up in dat Cooper before worrying about clubs -

Last edited by a moderator:
Squish....Come back!!!! I think you seriously need to go to your local FORD dealership!!!! I am a BIG Ford man (Even though I do own the Chevelle!) but to me, supporting a company that I believe makes some of the best vehicles on the planet, AND isn't taking your tax dollars to keep afloat is a great thing to do.

The Wife has an Escape, it's a great vehicle for many things, but MAY be smaller than what you're looking for, I kinda wish we had an explorer with the same options. They also have the EDGE, and the FLEX that I think you would like....and of course you can still get the Expedition! It's a big vehicle, but if you need something that big, it'll certainly serve you well.

I have the 2003 Escape, 80k miles....no problems

a 2005 F-150, 30k miles.....no problems

a 2006 Mustang GT, 20k miles.....no problems

and a 2007 Mustang GT, 80k miles.......only had to replace ONE of the four tire pressure sensors!

I'll take that if that's the only problem I have with ANY of them!

Sorry, I admit I was being a goober with that last comment. I allowed an earlier conversation with a co-worker about his new Tundra. Being a generally nice guy (above instance excluded), I asked him if he liked his new truck and other general questions. He then proceeds to tell me how Toyota makes a superior vehicle to every other car on the road, and that the Tundra is the best full-sized truck ever and that GM, Ford, and Dodge were incredible pieces of crap and he doesn't understand why people still buy those because they can't compete.
My brother went from a Ford Focus to a Toyota Tacoma, and he loves that truck. But prior to buying the Taco (currently sitting in storage for 15 months while he's deployed; my dad drives it a few days a month to keep it in good running order) he was seriously considering an F-150.

The way my dad puts it is that a Toyota or Honda is a "10 year car". You know you can buy a Toyota Camry and drive it for a decade, putting 150-200K miles on the sucker, and it'll still keep going. A Chevy or Ford may only be a "5 year car", although in many cases it will be a fine "10 year car" as well. My SIL has a '98 Tahoe that's very high mileage and it still runs great.

I am very clearly the sort of person who starts to want a new vehicle at around the 5 year mark. I held off on unloading the Beetle sooner due to Mr. Bug's prolonged stretch of unemployment, but I have wanted a new car for at least a year now. In 5 years, we'll hopefully have a few kids and perhaps a compact crossover will no longer be an appropriate family car - or maybe it will. Mr. Bug also needs a new vehicle here at some point, and having 2 car payments for a while IS a consideration for us and our finances. That's just reality for us, especially with me being the bigger breadwinner. So I can't get the Honda Pilot or Chevy Traverse that I'd really like to get, because financing $35K now when we'll be financing a $20-25K vehicle for him in 2-3 years is just not wise for us.

Anyways, I've come to the conclusion that I'm looking for a "5 year car" this time. And we were dead-set against a Big Three vehicle until my dad pointed out to us that since I only want a 5 year car, the fact that a Honda would still be running 12 years from now is not really as big a deal as getting a good deal on a vehicle that meets my needs the best now.

Also, I'm smitten with the 2010 Equinox. It knocks the socks off the CR-V or the Forester. More spacious, comparable mileage for the AWD, and it has nice features in even the base model.

Lol. My "German Engineered" Jetta was made in Mexico... At one point last year I was talking with some VW enthusiasts and they said something to the effect that there are only about 2-3 VW models available that are actually made in Germany. The rest are in Canada / Mexico.
My New Beetle is a product of Mexico (as are all NBs). I believe for the North American market only the Passat, some Rabbits, and some Tiguans are made in Germany. The Routan is a rebadged Chrysler Town & Country, made in Canada. There are VW factories in Mexico, Russia, China, etc. At least most Audis are still made in Germany.

In an effort to get this thread back on track...I really like the new Mini Cooper S, and will probably start looking for one when I get my current car paid off. Does anybody here own one, or have you driven/ridden in one? Are they as much fun as people seem to think, or are they over-hyped? Can I fit a set of golf clubs in the trunk? Are they worth the $18k that they cost (new or used...the demand is so high, they are hardly depreciating at this point).
They're pleasant enough for a subcompact. Good luck with the golf clubs, though! Make sure you test drive if you're taller than about 5'10".

Squish....Come back!!!! I think you seriously need to go to your local FORD dealership!!!! I am a BIG Ford man (Even though I do own the Chevelle!) but to me, supporting a company that I believe makes some of the best vehicles on the planet, AND isn't taking your tax dollars to keep afloat is a great thing to do.
The Wife has an Escape, it's a great vehicle for many things, but MAY be smaller than what you're looking for, I kinda wish we had an explorer with the same options. They also have the EDGE, and the FLEX that I think you would like....and of course you can still get the Expedition! It's a big vehicle, but if you need something that big, it'll certainly serve you well.

I have the 2003 Escape, 80k miles....no problems

a 2005 F-150, 30k miles.....no problems

a 2006 Mustang GT, 20k miles.....no problems

and a 2007 Mustang GT, 80k miles.......only had to replace ONE of the four tire pressure sensors!

I'll take that if that's the only problem I have with ANY of them!
I was too afraid to mention this, but I'm a Ford driver too. Had an F-150 I loved until I had to trade it in for a more family friendly car. Ended up with the 2006 AWD Escape and it is a wonderful car. It's the hybrid and I've only brought it in for warranty work. It's amazing in the snow and ice and it easily can fit four adults and a kid in a Britax child seat (monster seat) and it's comfortable. We had been looking at buying a used Subaru Outback and we ended up with a better deal on the new Escape and there's way more room. There's very little I can't fit in if I lay down the seats and for furniture/larger things we have a Tacoma.

My name is csb and I drive an American car. There, I said it.

I was too afraid to mention this, but I'm a Ford driver too. Had an F-150 I loved until I had to trade it in for a more family friendly car. Ended up with the 2006 AWD Escape and it is a wonderful car. It's the hybrid and I've only brought it in for warranty work. It's amazing in the snow and ice and it easily can fit four adults and a kid in a Britax child seat (monster seat) and it's comfortable. We had been looking at buying a used Subaru Outback and we ended up with a better deal on the new Escape and there's way more room. There's very little I can't fit in if I lay down the seats and for furniture/larger things we have a Tacoma.
My name is FLBuff, and I drive an American car, also. :unitedstates: The work truck is a Fored Ranger. My car is a 2001 Chevy Blazer that I bought new. Part of it was paid for as a graduation present from my folks. I will drive it till it drives no more.

My name is Dex, I have owned both imported and American cars: Nissans ('98 Pathfinder, '01 Xterra, & '89 Sentra), '06 VW Jetta, '08 Jeep Commander, '04 Chrylser 300M, '97 Pontiac Grand Am, Saturns ('93 & '94 Sedans, '01 Coupe) and a '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse. My current 3 are the 98 Pathfinder, 06 Jetta * 08 Commander.

The only car in my life that was a piece of shit was my 2004 Chrysler 300M (last year of the 300 before they switched to the new "box" bodystyle) It had the worst electrical gremlins you would ever find. Headlights randomly shut off at night, interior lights would turn on and off at random, some days it wouldn't "recognize" the key and it would refuse to start, it would kill a battery in under 6 weeks (and the alternator was checked each time and was ok). From a mechanical standpoint the engine was great, that is once the transmission would choose to engage. It had an "auto-stick" tranny that would operate like a normal automatic, but would allow you to "manually" shift with a tap left/right of the shift lever. You could easily count to 5 between when the lever was moved and the new gear would engage. Of course everytime we would take it into have it looked at, the problems wouldn't happen so needless to say we could never convince the dealership that it was a warranty issue and we shouldn't have to pay for.

We bought it used when it was only a year old and had about 20k miles on it. At the time they had the 8yr/80k warranty available for their "certified" used cars (which this was). We were so frustrated with that thing that we literally put the keys in the glovebox and called the lender and told them we weren't going to make another payment and they could come take it back. They thought we were kidding until after the 2nd payment wasn't received (despite the fact they would call us on a weekly basis checking on the status of our payment and we would repeat that we wouldn't make another payment). We had just enough equity in the car so that it once it was auctioned off it covered the adminstrative fees.

With the exception of the 300M, all the other cars have either been traded (Xterra, 01 Saturn) in or simply run into the ground. We have always had a mix of new and used cars in our stable. I don't think I have ever had more than 2 payments (usually only 1) but have maintained at least 3 cars.

Last edited:
My name is frazil and much to my surprise I drive an American car too. The japanese-imported Mazda 6 that I thought I was buying was actually made in Detroit. Apparently Ford bought Mazda a while back.

I think most American small cars are, for lack of a better word, junk. We do full-sized cars and trucks right however.

My full-sized Fords, Lincolns and Chevrolets have been excellent cars.

EDIT: full sized is NOT the same size as a Taurus or Malibu. Full size usually means the car has a chassis and not a unibody.

My name is frazil and much to my surprise I drive an American car too. The japanese-imported Mazda 6 that I thought I was buying was actually made in Detroit. Apparently Ford bought Mazda a while back.
Ford only owned some of Mazda. They owned up to 33% of Mazda, but in an effort to raise cash have since sold some of that off.

http://www.canada.com/business/fp/Ford+sel....html?id=969287

It still doesn't change the fact that the Mazda 6 is assembled in Michigan. That's not uncommon for forigen automobile manufactures though. Toyota have an assembly plant in Tennessee I think. Hyundai has one in Alabama. Kia is building one in Georgia. The list goes on and on.

Ford only owned some of Mazda. They owned up to 33% of Mazda, but in an effort to raise cash have since sold some of that off. http://www.canada.com/business/fp/Ford+sel....html?id=969287

It still doesn't change the fact that the Mazda 6 is assembled in Michigan. That's not uncommon for forigen automobile manufactures though. Toyota have an assembly plant in Tennessee I think. Hyundai has one in Alabama. Kia is building one in Georgia. The list goes on and on.
Yup, my Nissan Altima was assembled in Tennessee, I'm pretty sure..... and Toyota has a large motor assembly plant in southern :wv: , I can't remember which motors they make...

^^^ Because Toyota has so many assembly plants in the US, they were allowed to participate in NASCAR. (I believe all of the Toyota trucks are assembled in the US) One unconfirmed report during thier application into NASCAR stated that more Toyotas were built in the US than any one single US manufacturer, and thus were more influential on the american economy, and could then be somewhat considered a US brand...

Last edited:
Honda builds the Odyssey in Alabama, BMW builds the Z3 and X5 in Spartanburg, Daimler builds the Sprinter in Charleston, etc.
They stopped making the Z3 years ago. I believe you're thinking X3. They make the X6 there as well. Nothing but SUVs coming out of the plant now.

I took a tour when they were making Z3s there. Incredibly cool. I highly recommend a plant tour, if you have a chance.

Squishles, did you find a car?

If it's not too late, I'd recommend a Toyota Sequoia. I know, I know... Toyota is having some issues with the accelerator. But once the the fix is implemented, it's a good vehicle. Yes, it's a gas guzzler, but you can't beat the comfort on long trips, and the safety (it's big and tall, and has side impact air bags).

One car I've been really interested in is the Honda Accord Crosstour. That car is absolutely huge without being combersome like the big SUV's. It's actually a "cool" station-wagon (if there is such a thing).

One car I've been really interested in is the Honda Accord Crosstour. That car is absolutely huge without being combersome like the big SUV's. It's actually a "cool" station-wagon (if there is such a thing).
My wife is now interested in the Honda minivan. She wants the sliding doors on the side for ease of use in crowded parking lots, or dropping kids off at school.

This august my Durango will be 5 years old, it's been paid off for a while i hate the car basically cause it's not a jeep yj but....

However I think my next car is going to have to be something in the excursion size the three kids are really outgrowing the Durango....

But due to a short commute this is the first car I have had 5 years that will have less than 100k miles.

Back