Fitness Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice!  What's your goal going to be?
15.6lbs gone by April 20, which is very reasonable. I had gotten down out of "My clothes don't fit and my skin hurts" but I didn't have a ton of motivation, especially during winter, to keep working on weight loss. This is a good motivator and thus far the facebook group has been really fun and encouraging. It's also nice to have a group of data geeks all filling in the same spreadsheet so I can see how everyone else is doing. 

I've seen apps that do the same kind of thing pop up on my FB feed...bet on an amount of weight you will lose by a certain date and win $$$.  I've actually got one loaded on my iPhone, DietBet, but never checked it out close enough to see how it works, i.e. how do they know you're not holding a brick during your initial weigh-in?

@jeb6294 ahh, i am on day 3 of Keto and i am feeling really stabby right now.  i am about to stab the person who brought in the freakin box of donuts to the breakroom. kinda feelin the keto flu now...

I've seen apps that do the same kind of thing pop up on my FB feed...bet on an amount of weight you will lose by a certain date and win $$$.  I've actually got one loaded on my iPhone, DietBet, but never checked it out close enough to see how it works, i.e. how do they know you're not holding a brick during your initial weigh-in?
Thanks for the idea!

Here is a good description:

TLDR version:

1) You take multiple photos on scale with a current word they give you so you don't reuse old photos

2) They have referees and algorithms that monitor unusual weight loss patterns or anything out of the ordinary

3) They make you do video weigh-ins if they red flag you.

FWIW, I would totally make huge bets and use a combination of water pills and an arduino-based fake digital scale to win big bucks.

FWIW, I would totally make huge bets and use a combination of water pills and an arduino-based fake digital scale to win big bucks.
Or you could, you know, actually try to lose the weight. Just a thought.

Are you doing those pee test strip things to check for ketosis? I had a coworker who was doing those a few weeks back.

@jeb6294 ahh, i am on day 3 of Keto and i am feeling really stabby right now.  i am about to stab the person who brought in the freakin box of donuts to the breakroom. kinda feelin the keto flu now...
Still sucks sometimes when someone brings donuts in to the office for some reason, but it's gotten to the point that most times it doesn't even phase me any more.  They just don't look/sound good.  There's a guy on YouTube, Dr. Ken Berry, who does a lot of good videos.  He's got one about making "Keto-Ade" that's supposed to help with the flu.

https://www.youtube.com/user/KenDBerry

Are you doing those pee test strip things to check for ketosis? I had a coworker who was doing those a few weeks back.
You can, but it's really just a way to, literally, piss money away.  All the strips do is tell you if you're peeing out ketones which doesn't necessarily mean you're in ketosis.

Yes- that!

Last winter I ditched cardio and just did weights - saw much better results than the running thing - but towards end of spring just sort of got bored with the gym (wanted to be outside after winter). Did some biking and running to maintain but sort of gave up around September / so heading back to the gym to pick up where I was a year ago...

Need to find a way to do both because squats and deadlifts don’t help at all when you want to go on a 14 mile hike...

just do a bazillion squats and deads, that will get you the endurance you need for a long hike.

I was pleased to see that I didn't gain weight over the holidays despite going off the diet.  We stayed pretty active though.  My knee is killing me after skiing too much and I realized that I haven't been doing the squats  and partial lunges I learned in physical therapy to build stabilizers to compensate for the missing menisci. Plus yoga.

I've been nursing a cold this week but I'm looking forward to seeing the New Year masses at the gym. 

I've been slacking off for another week with this f'n cold/flu and very busy at work.  I need to get back into the rut.

Man, it’s going around here too! I need to shake this illness so I can feel better and start riding my stationary bike at home in the evenings. Yesterday one of our PM’s mentioned smelling medicine. I told him, yes, it’s my cough drops.

after two days of bad headaches and feeling like being hit by a bus i woke up feeling really good!  took longer than normal to get warmed up and the CNS primed this morning before working out. but had good speed/energy level on my squats and bench.

Back