Fitness Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m also no where near where you all are with fitness. This trip we are still on, fly back the 5th, has given my spouse and I motivation to get our asses in gear. We’ve both put on way too much weight! Time to cut carbs and cut the amount of food we eat! Plus, pull out the stationary bike at night and get more active on weekends.

If we could only get to where we used to be. I’m not ex military, but spouse is.

Time to cut carbs and cut the amount of food we eat! Plus, pull out the stationary bike at night and get more active on weekends.
Just be mindful that it's not simply about cutting carbs. If you decide to pursue some type of rigorous exercise regiment, you're going to need carbs to fuel your body. It's all about balancing carbs, protein, and fat intake. :thumbs:

Just be mindful that it's not simply about cutting carbs. If you decide to pursue some type of rigorous exercise regiment, you're going to need carbs to fuel your body. It's all about balancing carbs, protein, and fat intake. :thumbs:
Thanks! Yes, but we are quite inactive so nothing rigorous to start with. And we won’t be cutting carbs completely, just cutting back. I have the mfp app, and after I get going and make changes, I’ll tweak my carb/protein/fat percentages.

Aaaaannnnkkkk....wrong.  If you cut carbs your body starts burning fat for fuel.  It'll get all the fuel it needs, just from a different source.  I was running 3 to 5 miles almost every morning and 5 to 10 on weekends and did my half-marathon while I was eating low carb.

Aaaaannnnkkkk....wrong.  If you cut carbs your body starts burning fat for fuel.  It'll get all the fuel it needs, just from a different source.  I was running 3 to 5 miles almost every morning and 5 to 10 on weekends and did my half-marathon while I was eating low carb.
Aaannkkk please re-read. I indicated to not cut carbs completely. Nothing wrong with reducing carb-intake. :thumbs:

For the record, the Beach Body P90x type workouts caution you to not cut or reduce carbs given how rigorous the workouts are. Each person is different as is their corresponding metabolization. What works for one may not necessarily work for the other. I changed nothing with regard to my carb intake during P90x/P90x3 and still lost close to 30 lbs. Same with my triathlon training.  :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Cutting carbs out completely will absolutely affect training.  Yes, your body will learn to adapt to burning fat as a fuel source - however, it cannot tap into and burn fat reserves as quickly as it can process carbs.  Consequently, you will see weight lifters and athletes requiring short term explosive movements struggle significantly with low/no carb diets, whereas runners and endurance athletes can fare much better.

I almost never drink anymore.  Probably < 1/month.  It got to the point where even a single beer was impacting my performance at the gym.  Honestly, I don't really miss it.  I still do have one on occasion, but the fact that we're now stuck doing itemized receipts on work trips even keeps that in check.

Cutting carbs out completely will absolutely affect training.  Yes, your body will learn to adapt to burning fat as a fuel source - however, it cannot tap into and burn fat reserves as quickly as it can process carbs.  Consequently, you will see weight lifters and athletes requiring short term explosive movements struggle significantly with low/no carb diets, whereas runners and endurance athletes can fare much better.
Yeah, he looks like he's having a really hard time at the gym

5-biggest-keto-mistakes-3-v2-700xh.jpg

I have a side hobby baking bread. See the baking thread! I could never give up or reduce carbs.

You people are all so inspiring! I'm excited to get back to my normal workout routine. I've definitely been slacking since the holidays started. I also want to get back to running more times a week. I'm signed up for a few different half's throughout the year, the first being at the beginning of March.

Last edited by a moderator:
when your carbs were that low did you ever experience brain fog? 
Nope.  For a few days at the beginning you can feel pretty $hitty until you get used to going without carbs, but once your body figures out to use the new fuel source, I feel better now that I did before.

You can find substitutes for a lot of stuff.  There's sugar free candy for the sweet tooth and I even found a recipe for low carb chewy chocolate chip cookies that are pretty good.  I think bread is the toughest thing.  There are recipes for low-carb bread, but I haven't found anything that's the same thing.

I joined a weight loss challenge put on by one of my favorite bloggers. Full details are here: http://www.fatcyclist.com/2019/01/01/fattys-2019-weight-loss-challenge/

Copied rules:

1. $150 to buy in
  2. $50 of your join-in goes straight to Camp Kesem.  Camp Kesem provides free week-long camps to kids whose parents have (or have had) cancer. 
  3. The first official weigh-in is January 12. If you’re not registered by then, it’s too late.
  4. You must weigh-in every single week by Friday, posting your weight on the Google Sheet I will share with participants.
  5. If you do not weigh in, even skipping just once, you are out. If you know you’re not going to be able to weigh in on a Friday, weigh in early. No excuses, no exceptions. Almost certainly, someone (maybe me!) will get hurt, or will have a family emergency, or something else. I can’t / won’t be making those kind of judgement calls.
  6. At the end of the contest (soon after the final weigh in on April 20), the remaining money (the money that did not go to Camp Kesem) will be divided up as follows:
  • 75% of the money is divided equally among people who hit their target weight
  • 25% of the money is divided equally among people who did NOT hit their target weight, but did not give up

Back