EB Mafia

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OKAY.

NEXT ROUND OF MAFIA STARTING MONDAY.

THEME: I'LL FIGURE IT OUT

NEW THINGS: Will attempt a 50:50 mafia and townie split with no PMs for players (only PMs will be between mod and the players). Potential rules below, I will try to rough out a more concrete rule thing this weekend.
  • 50/50 mafia and town split.
  • Every person playing gets a PM with their role from the mod. Only PMing 'allowed' is between the players and the moderator, and should only be for the night voting.
  • Day lynch = everyone votes like normal.
  • Night kill = all the mafia vote, but they're all in separate PMs, so the 'blind majority' is who gets killed. If there is a tie, nobody dies during the night. This could potentially drag the game out in the beginning.
  • Mafia and townies have an 'investigator' to identify if someone is 'the same'.
  • There are two doctors, one for each side, but they don't know who is mafia or townie either. So you might have a mafia doctor saving a townie.
  • Will flesh out more solid rules as I see if one side is too overbalanced.
If nobody is interested in the above, I suggest another round of mafia with the trigger in place (obviously, a new trigger will be chosen by mod). Who's in?

@DuranDuran, @vhab49_PE, @Dothracki PE, @beccabun PE, @NikR_PE, @harshaPEAZ, @txjennah PE, @squaretaper LIT AF PE, @MadamPirate PE, @RBHeadge PE, @BlueBlueprint_PE, @EyehatethePEexam PE, @ChebyshevII PE, @SaltySteve PE, @jean15paul_PE, @Roarbark, @blybrook PE, @LyceeFruit PE, @civilrobot, @leggo PE, and @chart94

...did I forget anyone?
Who's @Roarbark?

@JayKay PE I am in but since results are dropping next week as @RBHeadge PE said I might just get depressed and would ask you guys to vote me out ....but hoping for the best ready for this new game!
  1. Don't be so hard on yourself wrt the exam
  2. Please don't mention the "prediction" in the WttS. Just because I think it'll happen next week doesn't mean that it will. The natives will get pretty restless if it doesn't happen next week.

Welcome to another Why does JK keep changing things? round of Mafia with 15 players.

There are town members and mafia. Townies must try to find and eliminate the mafia with extreme prejudice before they are eliminated. The game ends when either all of the Mafia is eliminated (town wins), or there are fewer townsfolk than Mafia members (Mafia wins).

The game will start today, Monday May 24, 2021. Lynching will be allowed on the first day. Mafia can lynch the first night. In the event the game extends to the weekend, the game will be in extended night phase starting Friday night and resuming the Monday morning.

This is a new format game that also has a new special character with a trigger element!

All players in this game will be PM'd with their role (mafia or townie). In this round, mafia players do not know who the other mafia players are, and to account for this, the groups have been split as close to 50:50 as possible. Townies, once PM'd, will no longer use the PM during the round (unless they want to just chat, which I'm totes down for).

During the day, everybody (townsfolk and Mafia) will publicly vote for a person to eliminate; I will eliminate the person with the most votes at the end of the day and reveal what their role was. If the narrative is being posted the next morning, I will reveal the lynched person's affiliation and/or role before the night kill.

The Mafia members are each separately going to privately tell me via PM who they would like to eliminate during the night. As none of the mafia members will be in the same PM to concur on who is being night-killed, the 'blind majority' is who will be night killed. If there is a tie, nobody will die during the night.

In addition to regular townsfolk and members of the Mafia, there are also Doctors and Investigators. There will be a doctor and investigator assigned to each faction.

The doctors can choose someone to 'save', which means a mafia-aligned doctor may save a townie by mistake, or vice versa. Doctors have an unlimited amount of saves and I am changing the rules to allow them to save the same person multiple times in a row, if they like. A townie doctor will be able to save someone overnight from a mafia hit. A mafia doctor will be able to save someone from the townie lynch. A doctor is not required to save someone if they do not want to.

Investigators are similar to the previous Cop role, but there is now a mafia investigator. Once a day, a player can be investigated to find if their alignment is the same as the investigator. So if a townie investigator investigated a townie they would get 'same alignment' but if they investigated a mafia player (doctor or another investigator or a regular mafia) the result would be 'different alignment'. Investigators have a set number of investigations that can be completed.

THERE IS A NEW ROLE THIS GAME: THE CASSANDRA! The Cassandra player does not know they have this role until a trigger occurs in the game and/or thread. A trigger could be reaching a certain page number or by player actions in the thread (like ghost votes, triple posts, etc.). The trigger is picked before the game begins. The Cassandra can be either mafia or townie alignment and once triggered, they will receive a special PM that explains their new role. The Cassandra is similar to the investigator, where they will find out another players alignment, but they cannot chose the player. The other player's alignment will come to them as a vision (overnight PM) every night until end of game and/or they are killed. Unlike the investigators, the Cassandra MUST share their information with the thread. If they do not reveal their information, they will automatically be lynched that evening by the townies whether they are voted for or not. This will override all voting blocks.

To vote on a person to eliminate, mention me @JayKay PE and tell me specifically that 1) you are voting and 2) the username of the person you are voting to eliminate.

Example: @JayKay PE I vote for @BlueBlueprint_PE because there are too many blues in their name

Please submit your votes in this thread by 9:00 PM EST/8:00 PM Central/7:00 PM Mountain/6:00 PM Pacific Time/Whatever Roar and Bly-time.

A couple of rules:

1) You may use this thread to vote and post about the game
2) Anyone who is an active participant in the game can use this thread to speculate, discuss, accuse, or otherwise participate in the game; just please make sure to follow regular EB forum guidelines.
3) Your vote only counts if you are playing and not yet eliminated.
4) If there is a tie for most votes, I will either ask for 10 rounds of RPS or use a randomizer in a best of 10 round.
5) EB PMing is not allowed this round. This eliminates the 'if you miss 2 days in a row, it's a vote for yourself' rule. I assume if you are unable to PM you must participate in some manner if you are a townie to prevent being killed.
6) All votes via PM will not count unless they are specifically for Mafia actions.
7) Votes submitted after the deadline will count towards the following day.
8) You are not allowed to reveal your role, privately or publicly, after you have been eliminated. You may not post screengrabs of private messages in this thread.
9) Please keep all trash talk in the thread and don’t take things too seriously!

This is a totally new way of playing this game, so please feel free to ask questions in the thread!

Current players this round: @NikR_PE, @RBHeadge PE, @MadamPirate PE, @EyehatethePEexam PE, @squaretaper LIT AF PE, @jean15paul_PE, @vhab49_PE, @DuranDuran, @djl, @harshaPEAZ, @Dothracki PE, @txjennah PE, @BlueBlueprint_PE, @beccabun PE, and @ChebyshevII PE

I believe all PMs have been sent. If you are playing this round and have NOT RECEIVED a PM, please private message me so I can confirm your role.

Remember; if you are a townie, you cannot use PMs after I send your role. I think in the future I'll do a 'if you didn't receive a PM, you're a townie'

Good morning world! Ahhhhhhh, another beautiful spring day in the big city- horns are honking, people are bustling, and pigeons are cooing. Let’s see what today holds for ole djl!

Welcome to another Why does JK keep changing things? round of Mafia with 15 players.

There are town members and mafia. Townies must try to find and eliminate the mafia with extreme prejudice before they are eliminated. The game ends when either all of the Mafia is eliminated (town wins), or there are fewer townsfolk than Mafia members (Mafia wins).

The game will start today, Monday May 24, 2021. Lynching will be allowed on the first day. Mafia can lynch the first night. In the event the game extends to the weekend, the game will be in extended night phase starting Friday night and resuming the Monday morning.

This is a new format game that also has a new special character with a trigger element!

All players in this game will be PM'd with their role (mafia or townie). In this round, mafia players do not know who the other mafia players are, and to account for this, the groups have been split as close to 50:50 as possible. Townies, once PM'd, will no longer use the PM during the round (unless they want to just chat, which I'm totes down for).

During the day, everybody (townsfolk and Mafia) will publicly vote for a person to eliminate; I will eliminate the person with the most votes at the end of the day and reveal what their role was. If the narrative is being posted the next morning, I will reveal the lynched person's affiliation and/or role before the night kill.

The Mafia members are each separately going to privately tell me via PM who they would like to eliminate during the night. As none of the mafia members will be in the same PM to concur on who is being night-killed, the 'blind majority' is who will be night killed. If there is a tie, nobody will die during the night.

In addition to regular townsfolk and members of the Mafia, there are also Doctors and Investigators. There will be a doctor and investigator assigned to each faction.

The doctors can choose someone to 'save', which means a mafia-aligned doctor may save a townie by mistake, or vice versa. Doctors have an unlimited amount of saves and I am changing the rules to allow them to save the same person multiple times in a row, if they like. A townie doctor will be able to save someone overnight from a mafia hit. A mafia doctor will be able to save someone from the townie lynch. A doctor is not required to save someone if they do not want to.

Investigators are similar to the previous Cop role, but there is now a mafia investigator. Once a day, a player can be investigated to find if their alignment is the same as the investigator. So if a townie investigator investigated a townie they would get 'same alignment' but if they investigated a mafia player (doctor or another investigator or a regular mafia) the result would be 'different alignment'. Investigators have a set number of investigations that can be completed.

THERE IS A NEW ROLE THIS GAME: THE CASSANDRA! The Cassandra player does not know they have this role until a trigger occurs in the game and/or thread. A trigger could be reaching a certain page number or by player actions in the thread (like ghost votes, triple posts, etc.). The trigger is picked before the game begins. The Cassandra can be either mafia or townie alignment and once triggered, they will receive a special PM that explains their new role. The Cassandra is similar to the investigator, where they will find out another players alignment, but they cannot chose the player. The other player's alignment will come to them as a vision (overnight PM) every night until end of game and/or they are killed. Unlike the investigators, the Cassandra MUST share their information with the thread. If they do not reveal their information, they will automatically be lynched that evening by the townies whether they are voted for or not. This will override all voting blocks.

To vote on a person to eliminate, mention me @JayKay PE and tell me specifically that 1) you are voting and 2) the username of the person you are voting to eliminate.

Example: @JayKay PE I vote for @BlueBlueprint_PE because there are too many blues in their name

Please submit your votes in this thread by 9:00 PM EST/8:00 PM Central/7:00 PM Mountain/6:00 PM Pacific Time/Whatever Roar and Bly-time.

A couple of rules:

2) Anyone who is an active participant in the game can use this thread to speculate, discuss, accuse, or otherwise participate in the game; just please make sure to follow regular EB forum guidelines.
4) If there is a tie for most votes, I will either ask for 10 rounds of RPS or use a randomizer in a best of 10 round.
5) EB PMing is not allowed this round. This eliminates the 'if you miss 2 days in a row, it's a vote for yourself' rule. I assume if you are unable to PM you must participate in some manner if you are a townie to prevent being killed.
6) All votes via PM will not count unless they are specifically for Mafia actions.
8) You are not allowed to reveal your role, privately or publicly, after you have been eliminated. You may not post screengrabs of private messages in this thread.
9) Please keep all trash talk in the thread and don’t take things too seriously!

This is a totally new way of playing this game, so please feel free to ask questions in the thread!

Current players this round: @NikR_PE, @RBHeadge PE, @MadamPirate PE, @EyehatethePEexam PE, @squaretaper LIT AF PE, @jean15paul_PE, @vhab49_PE, @DuranDuran, @djl, @harshaPEAZ, @Dothracki PE, @txjennah PE, @BlueBlueprint_PE, @beccabun PE, and @ChebyshevII PE
1OfD.gif

A couple of rules:

So it sounds like for townies, this round is pretty much the same as the "regular" no-PM games? We try to figure out who's maf and vote them out.

For the mafia, they have the disadvantage of not knowing who each other are, but they get some extra mafia to make up for it? I think the town has the upper hand in this format. :D

So it sounds like for townies, this round is pretty much the same as the "regular" no-PM games? We try to figure out who's maf and vote them out.

For the mafia, they have the disadvantage of not knowing who each other are, but they get some extra mafia to make up for it? I think the town has the upper hand in this format. :D
Using the pronoun game to subtly clear yourself...sus.

I've been trying to mentally game this out and I can't come to any conclusion beyond pure chaos. It feels like a lot of 50/50 coinflips to determine the winning faction.

I'm not even sure how to use game theory to make sense of it all.

@JayKay PE What's the win criteria? Is it elimination of the other faction?

I've been trying to mentally game this out and I can't come to any conclusion beyond pure chaos. It feels like a lot of 50/50 coinflips to determine the winning faction.

I'm not even sure how to use game theory to make sense of it all.

@JayKay PE What's the win criteria? Is it elimination of the other faction?
Maybe it is the first group to identify all its members.

Latest posts

Back