EB Cycling Club

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. One thing I haven't had time to research yet is whether or not to be concerned with salt and salt residue left on the roads if I chose to start biking early yet this year. Otherwise, I'll likely just have to wait until mid to late April. :(
Do you wait until April to drive your car? 

Do you wait until April to drive your car? 
I suppose not. But then again auto manufacturers design their vehicles to these conditions. Wasn't sure if bicycle manufacturers followed the same convention since bike riding tends to be a warmer weather activity. And by design, a road bike doesn't appear to be suitable for colder weather conditions. Just sayin'.

On a side note, I know my sport motorcycle is not designed for cold weather conditions and hence should not be exposed to salt. Therefore I do not take it out of storage until much later in spring or early summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose not. But then again auto manufacturers design their vehicles to these conditions. Wasn't sure if bicycle manufacturers followed the same convention since bike riding tends to be a warmer weather activity. And by design, a road bike doesn't appear to be suitable for colder weather conditions. Just sayin'.

On a side note, I know my sport motorcycle is not designed for cold weather conditions and hence should not be exposed to salt. Therefore I do not take it out of storage until much later in spring or early summer.
Check out GCN on Youtube. They are Brits devoted to cycling (some former pros on there), and search for bike washing. They have a 30-minute deep clean wash, as well as a 5 minute quick wash. If you do the 5 minute after a ride where you mat have gotten salt on the frame or gears, you should be fine. And make sure to watch some of their top 10 lists. The "What not to eat on a ride" is especially good.

Yeah, you should just learn to wash your bike. Trust me- bikes can be ridden all year round. They are meant to be ridden all year. GRYFB

Yeah, you should just learn to wash your bike. Trust me- bikes can be ridden all year round. They are meant to be ridden all year. GRYFB
Ah....but if I ride when it's nicer out, then no need to wash! On a side note, I bought my Schwinn mountain bike in 1996. I have washed it exactly 0 times and it still rides great. GRYFB = ???

afd.jpg_large

You should be wiping down your bike after a nice ride just as much as a salt ride. If you intend to ride for long distances, you might treat this bike differently than your Schwinn. But hey, maybe you like chain problems. 

Go Ride Your F-ing Bike

^ good point. This will certainly be ridden for longer distances and also cost about 3 times what my mountain bike did. LOL

Thanks for all the tips (and new acronym, GRYFB!!!). :thumbs:

Don't worry about the salt.  I know a guy who's got a Teflon coating that will protect that chain and really reduce its frictional coefficient.

CV10.jpg

U locks are good, but bulky. I try to carry a cable lock with me when I'm in a situation where I will need a lock.

Boooo got a flat tire some time probably on Friday. I suspected I had one this morning, but confirmed it after riding to work. So, I shall be stopping at the bike shop on my way home tonight!

they have ones that use letters instead of numbers.. I think one of my HS kids bike combination is POOP   ;)   but easier to remember than a #

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned...get a bike computer. Yes, you can track your rides on your phone, but I like having the bike computer mounted on my bike, and my phone in one of my jersey pockets. I have a Garmin that has a heart rate monitor sensor, cadence sensor (how fast you are pedaling) and a speed sensor (mounts to the rear wheel hub, is way more accurate than GPS). My three sensors are ANT+ connected to the bike computer. However, just starting out, you can get a cheap (~$20) wireless bike computer that just tracks mileage and time ridden, time of day, etc. There is a magnet that you mount on your front wheel, that hooks up with the computer t track your speed.

I don't consider a bike computer necessary, but then again, I use my bike mostly for commuting and don't go on any rides that are much longer than 20 miles at a time otherwise.

Back