EB Cycling Club

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You live near mountains? You have no regard for BO and proximity to coworkers? You rode up stairs?  :dunno:
Yes, I do live near the mountains, and there are multiple climbs near my office. Luckily, I have my own office, so now coworkers in close proximity. Plus, I always re-apply deodorant after every ride (which helps, but isn't fool proof). two of the climbs yesterday had grades up to 16%. I had to stop a few times, unfortunately.

Yes, I do live near the mountains, and there are multiple climbs near my office. Luckily, I have my own office, so now coworkers in close proximity. Plus, I always re-apply deodorant after every ride (which helps, but isn't fool proof). two of the climbs yesterday had grades up to 16%. I had to stop a few times, unfortunately.
I was just giving  you a hard time. I'm impressed! 16% is no joke! 

I know you were! Luckily, those 16% sections aren't very long...but yes, they suck!

Any Surly riders on the board? I'm needing to replace a bike and I'm thinking I might go with a Surly Troll. 

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/troll
The only experience I (indirectly) have with Surly bikes is my fiance almost bought one, but then went with a SOMA bike (http://www.somafab.com/) instead for a similar price, because it was the better bike.

EDIT: He went with a SOMA frame and got the bike built for him for the same ish price as the Surly would have been.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any Surly riders on the board? I'm needing to replace a bike and I'm thinking I might go with a Surly Troll. 
I have a Troll! And a Pacer, and a Cross-Check, and a Steamroller. I think they're worth it. Very smartly designed (especially for the weird fat bikes), high quality, and the new ones have an "ED" coating that is great against corrosion.

I have a Troll! And a Pacer, and a Cross-Check, and a Steamroller. I think they're worth it. Very smartly designed (especially for the weird fat bikes), high quality, and the new ones have an "ED" coating that is great against corrosion.
Do you do any mountain biking with the Troll? 

Do you do any mountain biking with the Troll? 
Yep, my local trails are not so gnarly that I really *need* suspension. It's actually the "World Troller" so it breaks apart for traveling. Pretty neat! On big rides like Downieville, I just rent a nice bike for the day. I worked as a mechanic for several years before I went to school and...I'm pretty lazy about maintenance. After owning lots of fancy bikes, I just wanted to simplify.

Yep, my local trails are not so gnarly that I really *need* suspension. It's actually the "World Troller" so it breaks apart for traveling. Pretty neat! On big rides like Downieville, I just rent a nice bike for the day. I worked as a mechanic for several years before I went to school and...I'm pretty lazy about maintenance. After owning lots of fancy bikes, I just wanted to simplify.
Nice! I'm also pretty tempted to take an old Diamondback Sorrento I have and just outfit it for some gravel rides- switch out the handlebars, update the seat, maybe switch to disc brakes (just because I've really started to like those). I have yet to own anything carbon and I'm just not interested in it. 

I have yet to own anything carbon and I'm just not interested in it. 
I was skeptical of this given the high cost adder vs. that of a traditional frame. Until I rode both types and there was a noticeable difference in both ride comfort and performance. Just my 2 cents. Of course, this pertains specifically to road biking. I didn't do any comparisons with mountain bikes.

I was skeptical of this given the high cost adder vs. that of a traditional frame. Until I rode both types and there was a noticeable difference in both ride comfort and performance. Just my 2 cents. Of course, this pertains specifically to road biking. I didn't do any comparisons with mountain bikes.
I don't want to have to think about my bike. I want to lay it on the ground, I want to prop it against a sign post, I want to throw it in a truck. 

Mostly, I don't want to have to worry about looking at it too hard and it bursts into pieces. 

I don't want to have to think about my bike. I want to lay it on the ground, I want to prop it against a sign post, I want to throw it in a truck. 

Mostly, I don't want to have to worry about looking at it too hard and it bursts into pieces. 
My road bike is carbon, and I still do all these things. It is yet to burst into pieces. I will admit that I don't "throw it in a truck", put carefully slide it into the bed beneath the tonneau cover of my truck. I do, however, treat my mountain bike like I rented it.

^ agreed. The material strength properties of carbon fiber are actually quite impressive. I plan to take my new Giant all over the place to camp sites in WI. It's likely to see quite a bit of abuse.

I'm a bit jaded, as my mother leaned a carbon bike against a sign post, gouged it, and had to replace the entire frame. 

Of course, the replacement bike ($3000 of replacement bike) also fell off of a bike rack at 75 mph on I-70 in Kansas and survived, so maybe it's not all bad. 

But mostly the thing about treating it like a rental bike. Our local trails feature a lot of rocks that I don't always quite clear. 

curt_gowdy_sp_bike.jpg

EDIT- Not me, but I've ridden that. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It's Bike to Work Day today. As a serious bike commuter, I fundamentally hate the fact that so many idiots who don't know how to properly bike in a city hop on their bikes and clog my commute. Grr.

Back