EB Cycling Club

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still haven't decided on the one I want yet. :D

LadyFox said you were likely going to yell at remind me of this detail. :thumbs:

Hey FLBuff, how is the ride from Glenwood Springs to Aspen?  The wife and I are looking to do some un-supported adventures this summer.  Is that bike path pretty much continuous? 
About 40 miles, all on path that is an old rail bed, so 4% max grade. There is one section, about 2 miles in length, near Aspen, that is unpaved, but ride able on a road bike (I've done it multiple times). Let me know when y'all are over here, and Id love to join you. Maybe we can get @csb and mini-csb to join as well?

Also, the Glenwood Canyon bike path is an easy and beautiful ride, assuming the Colorado River isn't so high that the path is under water.

Always be prepared!

Judah-Schiller-Water-Bike-Across-San-Francisco-6.jpg

Looks pretty sweet. I meant to comment upon it, sorry. I have ZERO experience with disc brakes (even on my mountain bike), so I'm curious what you will think of them. What groupo (brakes, shifters, derailers) do you have on it? Giant makes some quality rides.

Edit: I went back and clicked on the link you posted...Shimano 105 groupo. That's what I have as well. It works well, and if a compnent breaks, it won't cost you a fortune to replace it.

Last edited by a moderator:
So for the beginner biker (mainly road biking), any particular accessories I should be looking to get for my new ride? Aside from a helmet of course (I'm still shopping around for one of those ;) ).

So for the beginner biker (mainly road biking), any particular accessories I should be looking to get for my new ride? Aside from a helmet of course (I'm still shopping around for one of those ;) ).
Everyone's needs and preferences are different and it depends on where and how far you're riding.  I tend to ride on rural roads, so here's my setup.

I have a small bag that straps under the saddle, and I keep a bike tool kit, spare tube, tire levers, tube patch kit and a $20 bill in there. Then I have a hand pump that mounts on the bike frame.  I've had to use the tools a couple times, and the spare tube & pump can be a lifesaver if you get a flat 20 miles from your house/car.  Fortunately I've never been stranded to the point of needing the $20.

I also toss my phone and id in the bag when I go out riding, since bike shorts don't have pockets.  Make sure you keep the bag zipped up--I did drop my ID out of the bag once when I forgot to.  Fortunately I retraced my route and found it.

For road riding I absolutely hate not being able to see behind me, so I have a handlebar-mounted mirror.

Another consideration is hydration, depending on how long you plan to be riding.  Water bottles or Camelbacks are what I use depending on the length of ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't do roads but I defin keep 2 extra "tire tubes" in my camel bak

In CO AAA will help you out with bIke troubles though..

Thanks for the suggestions. The particular Giant model I went with has tubeless tires so that's a bonus I suppose with not needing to carry any extra tubes. :thumbs:

Back