EB Cycling Club

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the suggestions. The particular Giant model I went with has tubeless tires so that's a bonus I suppose with not needing to carry any extra tubes. :thumbs:
But more annoying when you get a flat and have to have the bike shop pump up your tire for you!

At least, I think that's how it works.

Anyway, I use my bike mainly for commuting and the occasional weekend ride. Here's what I would say are good to have to cover anything that's not a super long ride:

• Helmet! Mine's by Giro, I think.
  • Gloves! Just think of falling off your bike; in the case you use your hands to try to catch yourself, would you rather scrap bare skin or gloves?
  • A water bottle holder + bottle, full of water.
  • Kid bike lock on my seat.
  • Not quick-release wheels!
  • A good bell on my handlebars.
  • A lock! A good one. I read somewhere that you should buy the smallest lock that works for your general lock situations, because a bigger/longer lock can give someone more room to work with if they're trying to steal your bike.
  • A seat cover (because I have a nice Brooks leather seat that I don't want to get rained on or stolen [see kid lock above]).
  • Sunglasses specifically for biking (because I don't want to use my generally nicer ones while riding if I don't have to).
  • Bike lights! Regular for the front, red for the back.
  • Tube repair kit.
  • All tools associated with taking the bike apart (like the little Allen wrench to unlock my wheels).
I also have a bike rack and a pannier, and a handlebar bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bicycle glasses are pretty important, I have the photosensitive kind which are great when it starts getting dark early this time of year, or go thru an underpass tunnel.  You don't want to ride without eye protection. These double as my backup ski goggles. I also carry single use packs of benydrl and advil

And even Road Guy is using bicycle pants now, they will save your butt!  Bicycle shirts have handy pockets in the back, that's where I carry my phone and ID (in a ziplock) and keys.

+1 to what everyone else has said.

You're going to want to get a CO2 pump for those tires. I have the Bontranger one that has a little button to control the fill. It's handier than the old one I had that just went for the gusto. It means I can use a little or a lot. 

HELMET

Mirrors- so very important if you're going to be on the road. 

A small frame pack is helpful. If you're looking for one that might also serve your tri aspirations and handle longer rides, check out this one: http://www.dirtbags.bike/the-goods/bike-bags/burrito-hauler-top-tube-bag/?v=7516fd43adaa  I find it handy for snacks and other things to be front and center. 

Chamois butter- your taint will thank you

115775589.gif

I try to be fully independent while out on my bike, unless I am on an organized ride. Even on those rides, I have all my normal stuff with me. I am leery of "sew ups" (tubeless tires), but mainly because I am not familiar with them. I like being able to change my tubes in 5 minutes (if I get a flat), and get on down the road. I don't know if I could do that with tubeless. I am more partial to the bib shorts. I used to ride with just the regular shorts, but then my upper back got burned one afternoon where my jersey had cinched up and left it exposed. The bib shorts cover that. I carry this multi-tool with me in my saddle bag: https://www.amazon.com/Crankbrothers-mini-tools-Multi-black/dp/B00067W7CG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1520887412&sr=8-3&keywords=bike+multi+tools

I also carry a minimum of two tubes, a spare section of chain, a patch kit (for my tubes), and CO2 cartridges. I found that it was a PITA trying to pump up my tires to the proper pressure. The CO2 cartridges do it much faster. If you will be riding in twilight/dark, definitely get a front and rear light. I'll add stuff as I start biking more outside.

I try to be fully independent while out on my bike, unless I am on an organized ride. Even on those rides, I have all my normal stuff with me. I am leery of "sew ups" (tubeless tires), but mainly because I am not familiar with them. I like being able to change my tubes in 5 minutes (if I get a flat), and get on down the road. I don't know if I could do that with tubeless. I am more partial to the bib shorts. I used to ride with just the regular shorts, but then my upper back got burned one afternoon where my jersey had cinched up and left it exposed. The bib shorts cover that. I carry this multi-tool with me in my saddle bag: https://www.amazon.com/Crankbrothers-mini-tools-Multi-black/dp/B00067W7CG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1520887412&sr=8-3&keywords=bike+multi+tools

I also carry a minimum of two tubes, a spare section of chain, a patch kit (for my tubes), and CO2 cartridges. I found that it was a PITA trying to pump up my tires to the proper pressure. The CO2 cartridges do it much faster. If you will be riding in twilight/dark, definitely get a front and rear light. I'll add stuff as I start biking more outside.
Thanks. What do you think of the light and lock I found (see above) on Amazon? And I assume these are the type of shorts you were referring to:

https://www.amazon.com/Przewalski-Basics-Padded-Shorts-Negro/dp/B01HUNDFHE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520891205&sr=8-1&keywords=biking+bib+shorts

Thanks. What do you think of the light and lock I found (see above) on Amazon? And I assume these are the type of shorts you were referring to:

https://www.amazon.com/Przewalski-Basics-Padded-Shorts-Negro/dp/B01HUNDFHE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520891205&sr=8-1&keywords=biking+bib+shorts
Yes, those are the type of shorts I have, but I found the chamois on the Louis Garneau shorts did my under carriage well. Once I found some shorts that I liked, I started buying multiples of them as they went on sale/clearance. The light looks good for the rear, but you will want to get a head light as well, if riding in the dark. You need to see where you're going, in addition to being seen by others.

Actually rode outdoors today at lunch (60 degrees outside). @knight1fox3 you will want a cycling jersey, and for those cold WI morning/evening rides, arm and leg warmers (or tights) and a rain jacket will be useful.

Actually rode outdoors today at lunch (60 degrees outside). @knight1fox3 you will want a cycling jersey, and for those cold WI morning/evening rides, arm and leg warmers (or tights) and a rain jacket will be useful.
Thanks. One thing I haven't had time to research yet is whether or not to be concerned with salt and salt residue left on the roads if I chose to start biking early yet this year. Otherwise, I'll likely just have to wait until mid to late April. :(

Back