EB Cycling Club

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I survived my first ride to work going clipless! It was, thankfully, mostly unexciting. I had one near-miss, where I was barely able to unclip in time. Biking home might be more of an adventure, as there is generally more traffic around.

It's definitely going to take a little getting used to, but I already can tell that I like having my feet not wiggling around on the pedals. Gosh, I don't think I even realized how much my feet moved around on my old pedals until I first tried my clipless pedals and shoes!

Clipless riding is fun! My fiancé got them too about a week after I did, and we've both been riding more with them than without them. I can feel and see my calf muscles developing.

Downside? With the uptick in my bike riding, there's been a downturn in my running... Which was apparent yesterday in my race and today in the soreness in my legs. But really, that's my own fault. Can't let the lazy thoughts overtake me! Gotta get those weekday runs in.

But anyway. Bike thighs are no joke! I knew I had 'em,  but man, in looking at my photos from my running race yesterday, my thighs look huuuuge. Oof.

Okay, granted, the holiday cookies probably contributed a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was lazy last year. I looked at my riding summary on Garmin Express (from my Garmin bike computer), and man was it pathetic. I need to register for an event or two so that I am motivated to ride my fat ass off. I haven't gained too much weight, but it is definitely re-distributed. I am keeping an eye on a supported ride up Pike's Peak later this year. I'd love to knock that one off the bucket list.

I'm surprised that you are riding with clips at all, leggo. Once I went clipless, there was no going back for me.

We should form an eb Zwift team. 
What's that?

I'm surprised that you are riding with clips at all, leggo. Once I went clipless, there was no going back for me.
Yeah, it's mainly what I plan to be doing. Do I want to wear my clipless shoes the whole time, or do I have the ability to take a pair of shoes to change into if I don't? Well, I always have the ability, it's just whether it makes sense to in the situation. But all in all, I'm probably riding clipless at least 80% of the time, and exclusively for my commute rides.

http://zwift.com

It's indoor training, but with a gaming aspect. You can compete against other people. 

I've been meaning to try it now that long ride season is over, but haven't pulled the trigger. 

Ohhh sounds fun. If we created a team, would we be competing against one another?

My problem is that I don't bike indoors. Not only do I not have the set-up to, I also don't have the room to store the set-up to do so.

http://zwift.com

It's indoor training, but with a gaming aspect. You can compete against other people. 

I've been meaning to try it now that long ride season is over, but haven't pulled the trigger. 
It's a cool concept. Fun to challenge my brother-in-laws. 

Plus I'm planning to upgrade to a much nicer hybrid road bike in the spring. Still in the market for a helmet though.

I'm not planning to any time soon. At least not any long distances. That's for sure!

Now that I'm thinking about it, @FLBuff PE, most of the time when I'm riding my bike, it's for transportation, not a workout. Perhaps that fact addresses your surprise at my riding clipped at all (though really, I'm not riding clipped either, as my feet aren't attached to my pedals).

Now that I'm thinking about it, @FLBuff PE, most of the time when I'm riding my bike, it's for transportation, not a workout. Perhaps that fact addresses your surprise at my riding clipped at all (though really, I'm not riding clipped either, as my feet aren't attached to my pedals).
Yeah, that terminology always seemed a little strange to me.  I never rode a bike using the toe cages/clips.  I just used plain pedals.  It took me forever to figure out what people were talking about when they mentioned "clipless" pedals because I thought that was what I was already using.

^I agree, seems backwards.

@leggo PE I see the difference now. I ride for fitness, or a mental break, or for distance. A much different riding goal. In the summer, at times, I have ridden for commuting. But, my commute by bike is 24 to 28 miles, so I will still ride with the clipless, and it takes a little preplanning to make sure that I have a change of clothes and shoes at the office.

@wilheldp_PE, I can totally sympathize! When I was first researching clipless options, I went around saying I wanted to be clipped in, because that's literally what makes sense to me. But I quickly learn that was the wrong terminology. I know a little bit about the backstory of why it's now called "clipless", but it still seems very silly that that's the term that was chosen!

@FLBuff PE, I'm hoping to get into more distance riding! Perhaps on some upcoming weekends. I did my first long ride on Christmas Day, and it was a lot of fun!

Well I was a bit impulsive at the bike shop over the weekend. Just came home with this new ride:

2017 Giant FastRoad CoMax Disc

Pretty excited about it. It was some $400 off being last year's model. Rides really nice too. I also wasn't aware that hydraulic disc brakes on a pedal bike was an option. But they are fantastic! And for the record, I haven't had a new bike since my freshman year of high school. And I still have that old Schwinn Impact mountain bike.  :thumbs:

20180304_135555 (640x360).jpg

^I agree, seems backwards.

@leggo PE I see the difference now. I ride for fitness, or a mental break, or for distance. A much different riding goal. In the summer, at times, I have ridden for commuting. But, my commute by bike is 24 to 28 miles, so I will still ride with the clipless, and it takes a little preplanning to make sure that I have a change of clothes and shoes at the office.
Hey FLBuff, how is the ride from Glenwood Springs to Aspen?  The wife and I are looking to do some un-supported adventures this summer.  Is that bike path pretty much continuous? 

Hey FLBuff, how is the ride from Glenwood Springs to Aspen?  The wife and I are looking to do some un-supported adventures this summer.  Is that bike path pretty much continuous? 
I want to know this too! 

Went out for a 22 mile ride yesterday. It was fun, but freezing. 

Well I was a bit impulsive at the bike shop over the weekend. Just came home with this new ride:

2017 Giant FastRoad CoMax Disc

Pretty excited about it. It was some $400 off being last year's model. Rides really nice too. I also wasn't aware that hydraulic disc brakes on a pedal bike was an option. But they are fantastic! And for the record, I haven't had a new bike since my freshman year of high school. And I still have that old Schwinn Impact mountain bike.  :thumbs:

View attachment 10874
giant-bike-riding-helmet-g506-road-bike-mtb.jpg

Back