Countdown to Football Season!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll start, which SEC Team will go all the way in the Fake College Super Bowl this year?
Yay, and back to another year of people chirping about an irrelevant 'championship' (can they really call it that?)

Interesting linky: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/foot...g.ap/index.html

The BCS (allegedly) violating The Sherman Antitrust Act - gotta love it

College football is definitely entertaining, at least thru late November / early December.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always said the PLUS 1 setup could be made to be a 4 team playoff, and change NOTHING. The championship game is already almost a week after the other bowl games...

make two of the big four BCS games #4 vs. #1, then #3 vs. #2, and the winners of each play in the title game a week later...

or take it two an eight team setup over a 3 week period. Not a big deal..

And in my opinion, no one ranked eighth place really deserves a chance, so I still say PLUS 1.

I've said for years, I'd hate to see a playoff system because it would make the regular season games less important.

If Florida, for example, knows it could lose 2 games and still be ranked in the top eight, which it could, then it's regular season games wouldn't be as important.

JMO.

College football is definitely entertaining, at least thru late November / early December.
And i do have to qualify that being in Big 10 country (viz MI), i'm justified in above comment

and the BCS may be racketeering for joke squads (like Notre Dame of late), but it doesn't diminish the high caliber of play or teams in a handful of the bowl games -

In the amount of time between the last conference championship game and the "national championship" game, there are enough weekends to hold a playoff with 64 teams. The only argument that the BCS seems to have is the the bowl games rake in tons of money in sponsorships. So, why can't those same sponsors put their names to the different games of the playoff system. The Emerald Nuts Bowl could be one of the first round games. The Rose Bowl could be one of the "Final Four" games. Also, you can't tell me that they aren't making a metric assload of money off of the NCAA Basketball Tournament every year.

Only 38 days until Oregon State's first game so close yet so far away.
To make things even worse right now, there are no sports to watch, and nothing worthwhile on the "normal" TV and it is 100 degrees for the last 3 days so I would prefer to stay out of the sun.

September can't come fast enough.
Yay! Another Beavers fan! Do you have season tickets?

I'll have to think about switching my avatar soon. ooh, and my cell phone ringtone. I can't decide, OSU fight song or NFL theme song?

Practices resume this week.

Fan Appreciation day is at the field this Sunday.

We have season tickets and had opportunities GALORE to get tickets to the Illinois game coming up... "we" said we weren't going to go. Now my wife has decided... let's GO!

Only problem, only nosebleeds at $35 a pop are left. Why couldn't she have thought of this when good tickets were available back in June/July? Oh well, I can't complain when I have a wife that wants to go to football games. She rocks.

Found the Excel 2009 College Football Helmet Schedule. Only thing is they used old helmets this year.

I downloaded the NCAA schedule yesterday. The old helmets are not bad but I found apparent errors. According to the Big Ten's official website, Illinois plays at Cincinnati on November 27th and hosts Fresno State on December 5th.

Dear God,

When will you stop punishing the Detroit Lions with crappy coaching, meddling owners, and poor draft picks? Hasn't Michigan been smacked around enough?

Love,

A Loyal, Patient Fan who wishes Barry Sanders was still young.

Dear God,
When will you stop punishing the Detroit Lions with crappy coaching, meddling owners, and poor draft picks? Hasn't Michigan been smacked around enough?

Love,

A Loyal, Patient Fan who wishes Barry Sanders was still young.

For quite awhile, the NFL has been designed for parity. All teams should be within a couple games of 8-8 unless they do very well or very poorly. So I don't think Detroit's losing percentage of the Millen era will ever be matched under the present salary cap system. :bag:

Will they throw milkbones or dog **** at him?
Victorino (no that's not a cutesy nickname I made up for Mike Vick) should be happy that Cub's fans only throw plastic cups of beer after hearing the options above.

I will be interested to see if Vick's will be a story of redemption or a story of him falling back into the same thug culture that resulted in him losing everything.

I think it has been said on this board before, but I sincerely hope that he uses this opportunity to teach other young people some valuable lessons. Not the "dog fighting is bad" lesson, which it certainly is. Rather, Vick ended up in that situation largely because of who he chose to have around him. There is a valuable lesson in this.

I think it has been said on this board before, but I sincerely hope that he uses this opportunity to teach other young people some valuable lessons. Not the "dog fighting is bad" lesson, which it certainly is. Rather, Vick ended up in that situation largely because of who he chose to have around him. There is a valuable lesson in this.
He paid what society decided is his debt, and I think he should be free to pursue a career as he chooses. That being said, I have no problem with a team, company, etc. passing on him because they don't want to be associated with someone of his character and image. Honestly, I'm glad my favorite team didn't sign him. He is a cruel, perverse, reprehensible person.

I agree with what you are saying to a point CTown. There are a lot of these athletes out there who come from broken families in the 'hood and keep that same posse once they become rich stars. Vick isn't the first one to catch heat from it. At the same time, Vick was the one who owned the property this took place on, Vick was the one who bankrolled it, etc.

It's easier to to make bad decisions when surrounded by peer pressure from shady people, but no one made him do anything. I think he is entirely responsible for his actions as an individual.

He paid what society decided is his debt, and I think he should be free to pursue a career as he chooses. That being said, I have no problem with a team, company, etc. passing on him because they don't want to be associated with someone of his character and image. Honestly, I'm glad my favorite team didn't sign him. He is a cruel, perverse, reprehensible person.
I agree with what you are saying to a point CTown. There are a lot of these athletes out there who come from broken families in the 'hood and keep that same posse once they become rich stars. Vick isn't the first one to catch heat from it. At the same time, Vick was the one who owned the property this took place on, Vick was the one who bankrolled it, etc.

It's easier to to make bad decisions when surrounded by peer pressure from shady people, but no one made him do anything. I think he is entirely responsible for his actions as an individual.
Maybe I didn't write that post clear enough but I agree with everything you are saying.

I'm not saying that his friends made him do it, I'm saying that if he had dumped his thug friends, or encouraged them to do something productive with their lives, he wouldn't have been in that situation.

Just think, instead of paying so much money for a dog fighting compound and the drugs/paraphenalia that went with it, he could have sent all his thuggie friends to 4 year universities with personal tutors and given them a real opportunity.

I just hope that he can do something good with all that talent now.

Back