COLLEGE FOOTBALL 2011

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't really see OSU,Stanford, or Boise state staying within 14 points of either LSU or Bama to be honest. Watch what LSU does to UGA if they get to the sec championship... For all those who think Boise state beating the Norte dame of the sec means much...

But the team with the best chance is Oklahoma, I don't think any other team will put up much of a fight...

But... That's why they play the games......
I can't see LSU's offense staying within 14 points of OSU Cowboy's either!!!

As for the Oklahoma dirt thieves, they lost at home against a 30 pt underdog. Their work ethic history would show they would quit working after finals week anyways.

As the head coach, JoePa probably had to go. It was on his watch and unless he had called the cops at the time it occured and it got swept under the rug, he was taking most of the fall for this.

What makes me angry is that the person they should be talking about is Sandusky. I've yet to hear if he has been arrested or even where he is. Everything is following JoePa. I'd like to hear them start talking about what the others did. There were countless coaches involved, student aides, admins, etc etc. Usually at those camps there are chaperones that stay in the same area the kids are, what about them? What about the players that were probably helping with the event? What about the parents/guardians/etc of these children?

Well, Joe Pa was fired. Guess that the medias got what it was looking for....A heck of a headline. Now some unknown reporter can go to the talk shows and claim "I made Penn State fire Paterno".

I do not have an opinion about the events that did lead to this but do have a comment about the way he was fired. IT WAS CLASSLESS!!!! Period. You would think that someone with Paterno's history deserved better than a phone call.

Anyways, done and done. Joe Paterno is out of Penn State football.
I agree with DK here, as one who was raised from Penn State onsies through to me wearing the blue and white while I went to Syracuse, I have to say... it would really really suck if for some reason the court finds Sandusky not guilty. Last time I checked, in this country one was innocent until proven guilty, and I think we have all forgotten that. (but I do remember the Duke lacross trial and how that ended up). The media forced action to occur in an expidited manner when emotions are still running high.

JoPa had already announced his retirement at the end of the season. I question out of what necessity was he fired... it was done for show. The board of trustees has previously asked for his retirement and he refused, so here's a good excuse.

I really believe that this is a case where the mass media is influencing how we percieve things, and that it just sucks because JoPa was good for the sport for a very long time. He held his players to a standard, he set a precedence for not just one generation but many... Did he make the right decision... I don't know... I also don't know what he knew, what he was told or what information he passed on. Everything we are basing our opinions is what we are being told through television, radio and the internet (and yes I have read the grand jury report). I think the fact that he announced his retirement says that he was disappointed in himself about the actions he took. He has admited that he wished he had done more. But that is between him and the Power or Higher Being that drives him. I just wish that they would have let him step down and retire gracefully rather then end a legacy in scandal.........

Well, Joe Pa was fired. Guess that the medias got what it was looking for....A heck of a headline. Now some unknown reporter can go to the talk shows and claim "I made Penn State fire Paterno".

I do not have an opinion about the events that did lead to this but do have a comment about the way he was fired. IT WAS CLASSLESS!!!! Period. You would think that someone with Paterno's history deserved better than a phone call.

Anyways, done and done. Joe Paterno is out of Penn State football.
I agree with DK here, as one who was raised from Penn State onsies through to me wearing the blue and white while I went to Syracuse, I have to say... it would really really suck if for some reason the court finds Sandusky not guilty. Last time I checked, in this country one was innocent until proven guilty, and I think we have all forgotten that. (but I do remember the Duke lacross trial and how that ended up). The media forced action to occur in an expidited manner when emotions are still running high.

JoPa had already announced his retirement at the end of the season. I question out of what necessity was he fired... it was done for show. The board of trustees has previously asked for his retirement and he refused, so here's a good excuse.

I really believe that this is a case where the mass media is influencing how we percieve things, and that it just sucks because JoPa was good for the sport for a very long time. He held his players to a standard, he set a precedence for not just one generation but many... Did he make the right decision... I don't know... I also don't know what he knew, what he was told or what information he passed on. Everything we are basing our opinions is what we are being told through television, radio and the internet (and yes I have read the grand jury report). I think the fact that he announced his retirement says that he was disappointed in himself about the actions he took. He has admited that he wished he had done more. But that is between him and the Power or Higher Being that drives him. I just wish that they would have let him step down and retire gracefully rather then end a legacy in scandal.........
After dealing with a screwed up situation myself, I can honestly say that everyone's hands were tied from JoPa to the Police unless the victims came forward. If the football program was a private business, JoPa would have had more freedom to fire Sandusky without cause except there probably was a contract in place. The legal situation I have been witnessing has brought me new found respect for what the police have to deal with and administrators in schools.

What is sad is that kids or public wind up getting hurt while the individual rights of the problem makers are protected.

Slugger, JoePa couldn't fire Sandusky, he already DID not work for him.

Engineergurl, I agree. I don't think for a second that Sandusky is innocent, but its a great point.

AND, I think it needs pointed out, that everyone says "Paterno knew of allegations, but let Sandusky go on bowl trips, etc. with kids after the fact". BUT, Sandusky was not on staff, so him going to a game was not Paterno's call, and the BIGGEST point is that Sandusky's wife accompanied these trips. Sandusky's son, who is with the Cleveland Browns org, was there for most of the Pro events, since his son used to be with the Eagles.

WHY IN THE HELL would Paterno think something is going on when Sandusky's wife and family is with him during this? Why isn't Sandusky's wife fired from her job? Or the 2nd MILE charity? It is in the grand jury report that the charity knew since the 1st allegations in 1998, but yet sent troubled youth to go with Sandusky for 10 years? AND YET Paterno is the one they targeted?

Proves that DK is right, the media and their lynch mob mentality were not going to stop until they got what they wanted.

In light of the whole mess, I agree JoePa had to go this year, but the whole thing was done without thought and without class. Even the attorney representing the Victims, has said the Board of Trustees got it wrong, and should NOT have fired Paterno over this. He said the victims he is representing are upset that JoePa got fired over it. I think that says something.

my question, HOW IN THE HELL IS McQUEARY STILL COACHING?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wondering why McQueary hasn't been taken into custody for being 28 years old, witnessing a rape, and never notifying police.

Sandusky is the sick bastard, but McQueary is the one who dropped the ball on this....

If I'm 28, and see that, I don't know if I could bring myself to 'physically touching' the sick freak, so he may have avoided a beat down, but I can guarantee, I'd call the cops and no one would leave that facility until he was in custody and that boys parents were there.

I can't imagine doing otherwise. Can't even try to rationalize his actions.

NOW ONTO FOOTBALL.

Can the Mountaineers try to get themselves together? I'm afraid ole' Cincy is gonna take it to us. WVU only hope is to hang 50 points on them and only give up 48. WVU needs a defense, cause right now, we have guys in football uniforms standing out there during half the game.

Can the Nittany Lions stand in the face of this mess? I really hope that they can, but in reality, can't see how this doesn't crush the remainder of the season for this team. It's ALOT to deal with at any age, let alone 18-22

I think the Nittany Lions have a few games left to lose this season, but I think that was going to happen regardless of the controversy, especially on the road to close things out.

Hoping this last loss to Purdue will seal Mr. Fuckell's fate as a Buckeye coach. Same shitty play calling all game long, and now out of the running for a Big 10 title. Hoping for a big name to come in to reshape that anemic offense and open up the recruiting pool.

Hoping this last loss to Purdue will seal Mr. Fuckell's fate as a Buckeye coach. Same shitty play calling all game long, and now out of the running for a Big 10 title. Hoping for a big name to come in to reshape that anemic offense and open up the recruiting pool.
A big name like...Urban Meyer?

As much as I hate Florida, Meyer has a history with Ohio State, would be HUGE in recruiting, and could introduce a functional offense to what is typically a top 10 program every year. Never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I would openly embrace Urban Meyer back at Ohio State. Anyone's better than Fuckell.

Meyer is a serious candidate, too. Said there are only two places he'd like to be, either OSU or Notre Dame, and I don't see Kelly being thrown away in the near future.

So, yeah. Who would have thought that the biggest game in the country this week (according to ESPN College Gameday) would be Houston vs. SMU?

And so much for the Stanford side of my prediction, could still be OSU, though.

As much as I hate Florida, Meyer has a history with Ohio State, would be HUGE in recruiting, and could introduce a functional offense to what is typically a top 10 program every year. Never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I would openly embrace Urban Meyer back at Ohio State. Anyone's better than Fuckell.

Meyer is a serious candidate, too. Said there are only two places he'd like to be, either OSU or Notre Dame, and I don't see Kelly being thrown away in the near future.
Did not he have health issues while in Florida? As far as I know that forced him to quit. Or maybe he saw an NCAA investigation coming and left? I know he was very frustrated with the bunch of crooks he had on the team. There were many suspensions while he was there and who can forget the biggest one...Cam Newton.

Allegedly his health problems had to do with stress-related concerns. After getting back to his family and going to a "dream job" at Ohio State, I could easily see him returning, and he has discussed that before.

And... go U of H! Houston has been putting up some huge numbers offensively this year!

Urban Meyer was rejected by Paterno for an assistant job at PSU before. So I could see him at OSU, and Al Golden or Greg Schiano going to Penn State.

Then, every year, the announcers will talk about how Urban wasn't hired at Penn State, yada yada yada

Back