COLLEGE FOOTBALL 2011

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the lynch mob going after Paterno is complete bullshit. Read the paper in the link above, the grand jury indictment, and you'll see this is not on JoePa. that's why he is not being charged for one.

A few points.

1. JoePa did not see anything personally. McQueary did, and he did not give Joe specifics, but said "inappropriate acts"

2. Sandusky had been investigated in '98 by the police and child protective services and investigation was dropped

3. Joe hears a couple years later about similar charges, its easy to be a Monday Morning Quarterback now, but at that time, Joe could be thinking "it was investigated and dropped before, is this true, isn't it........ I'm calling my boss and telling him" and he did.

4. The charity, the 2nd Mile, knew in '98 and '02 and continued to let Sandusky around these boys for another 10 years. WHY IS THAT NOT BEING DISCUSSED???? I see that as the major issue, that charity's purpose is to help those boys.

5. The police and child protective services have 'known' since '98. WHY FINALLY ACT NOW?

6. And JoePa knew that CPS and Police were involved in '98, Why would he think its his responsibility to follow this through? he turned his info over, and I would assume he figured that CPS and Police were still doing their jobs, which we all know now, they were not.

There are many people on the list who are guilty of failing these boys, Sandusky, McQueary, the Janitor, Janitor's boss, police, CPS, Curley, Schultz, the 2nd Mile, and on and on..... but the Media is only talking about Joe.

It's because a lynch mob against him makes for a good story.

As I said before, I'm sure the lynch mob will get him, and its a shame. I hope they let him finish the season, because at this point, there will be no dignity left, court of public opinion is already in session.

I think you could easily see that Joe P. Could have followed up and shown leadership on making sure no more little boys were raped. I can't see how a honorable person could forget this

There nothing more appealing to the media than assassination of reputations. They live for that. The bigger the name the harder a no name reporter will try to throw mud at. It is human nature. " I will make a name at Mr. Big Name expenses because I am not talented enough to do it by my own merits " That is how the cookie crumbles.

Without knowing the details of this scandal (who does really know?) I believe that someone dropped the ball somewhere. Call it Paterno, Schultz, Curley, etc. But DV is right, the media is trying so hard to make this about JPa not doing something than Sandusky doing what he did. That is just wrong and out of focus. Did he have the moral obligation of doing something? Yes. Did he do something about it? I do not know. What about the legal obligation?

Grad Student: Hey Coach. I saw Sandusky molesting a kid at the showers last week.

JPa: Who? Is not that guy banned from here?

Grad Student: Yes but he was there abusing a kid.

Jpa: Dammit!!!! Let me talk to my boss and let him know what is going on. He should take action about this.

Remember that he did not see the alleged incident. On the other hand, JoePa is bigger than life in Penn State. You would expect more from somebody like him but that is a matter of perception.

I think you could easily see that Joe P. Could have followed up and shown leadership on making sure no more little boys were raped. I can't see how a honorable person could forget this
Or he told his boss and assumed they and the cops performed an investigation and nothing was found.

I can buy that argument if this was smokIng pot or something else but molesting a child? I can't see myself just sending an email or making a phone call about thoblate and then putting that out of my mind.

Paterno to retire at the end of the season.

http://news.blogs.cn...-end/?hpt=hp_c1

Or he told his boss and assumed they and the cops performed an investigation and nothing was found.
I believe this is probably what happened. He reported it, nothing seemed to come of it so he probably assumed it the allegations weren't as serious as they were reported to be. Like JoePa said in his statement this morning, with the benefit of hindsight it's easy to say things should have been handled differently.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ agree.

he knew about the first investigation and that it was dropped. I can see why it would be easy AT THAT TIME to think the same.

With the benefit of hindsight now, we can all parade around about what we would have done.

With that said, I don't think anyone on Penn State's staff can remain. No one. And that is a shame too. Think about all the assistant coaches who had ZERO idea. They are losing their jobs too, because of Sandusky. It's sad. But if my kid were going to play college ball in the next 2 years, I would not allow him to consider Penn State until all those people are gone. Simply because you don't know who knew what.

DK, you hit the nail on the head with your post. Headlines about JoePa sell papers

in this sue crazy society we now live in, the rest of the staff can probably sue sandusky for damages, loss of wages etc due to the backlash.

I agree that the press is calling out Paterno and the rest of the university personnel more than Sandusky himself; the press is despicable for dragging out the filthiest of details and spreading them around for Sandusky's victims to relive in the national news, but that fact that this went on for so long and so many people were at least aware that Sandusky might have a problem, and still let him on campus and with underage boys is not OK. There's no scapegoating here. Many people knew, including Paterno. Paterno may have given Sandusky the benefit of the doubt because they were friends, but you can't let it pass without follow up, even if he thought it was only "inappropriate acts". Whatever that means with a child...

Having said that ^^^

Who wants to talk football?

The only frontrunner who didn't almost lose (besides 'Bama) last week was Boise State, although they were playing the cupcake of the week...

I still think it could be OSU and Stanford at the end...LSU may have peaked too soon. Could be wrong, though...

LSU squeeked one out. They have had lady luck on their side this season, BUT that is the sign of a great team. The ones who always find a way to win, even with some luck.

That said, it's anyone's game at this point. I can see Stanford in the final, but against about 10 different teams.

Can't really see OSU,Stanford, or Boise state staying within 14 points of either LSU or Bama to be honest. Watch what LSU does to UGA if they get to the sec championship... For all those who think Boise state beating the Norte dame of the sec means much...

But the team with the best chance is Oklahoma, I don't think any other team will put up much of a fight...

But... That's why they play the games......

The Board of Trustees at Penn State just straight-up fired JoePa. He's not going to get to retire. After 46 years of service, and over $4 million of donations to the university, they just shit all over his reputation while knowing little to no facts about the situation. Great job, guys.

Jerry Sandusky should just do the honorable thing now and commit suicide. Otherwise he's in danger of being lynched.

Well, Joe Pa was fired. Guess that the medias got what it was looking for....A heck of a headline. Now some unknown reporter can go to the talk shows and claim "I made Penn State fire Paterno".

I do not have an opinion about the events that did lead to this but do have a comment about the way he was fired. IT WAS CLASSLESS!!!! Period. You would think that someone with Paterno's history deserved better than a phone call.

Anyways, done and done. Joe Paterno is out of Penn State football.

a couple of die hard penn state grads at my work today are almost borderline having to go home sick they are so upset about Jo Pa!

(note I said Grad's, not Fans-- there is a difference)

Back