April 2021 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't checked this thread since this morning... coming back to find almost 3 extra pages of replies has me nice and spooked. Every time my phone goes off with the email sound I am now having a seizure

I mean, the last time I got the nice red box of failure, it was about 10:30 in the morning. I got up from my desk, left the office without speaking, went to the Walmart liquor store, and parked my butt at the lake the rest of the day. I texted my boss from the lake saying I'd be back tomorrow.

Bars don't need to be open lol
Fucking legend

I had plans to start trolling in a week or so. 🤣
You still can!

Is that even historically possible for NCEES to release results less than 4 weeks from the exam date; isn't that just too early historically?...

And while I know it is usually not that long, if tomorrow or even this week is the release date, wouldn't that be pretty early from prior NCEES precedent?
as stated before January was turned around in 3 weeks and was one of the first test dates that were only civils taking the exam.
Yep. See the link below. I didn't believe it at first either. I was thinking The Fl board rep is too professional too troll. This has to be for another test?! It was legit.

https://engineerboards.com/threads/january-2021-regional-civil-pe-exam-results.36668/#post-7686341
A normal April/October release in under 5 weeks would be unprecedented. I suppose that they showed it's possible but I'd still be shocked it it happens this session.

"Typically, NCEES releases results to licensing boards 8–10 weeks after the exam date."
That's just a CYA statement. It very rarely takes that long. The only times in recent memory that took nearly that long was Oct 2014 and Oct 2018.
Five to six weeks is the real norm.

With only civils but a larger amount of examinees than January, I could see them turning it around a week sooner than the historic data.
I'm inclined to agree. I'm still skeptical it happens this week.
This is because with fewer variants there are fewer professionals need to be brought in to review the exam and discuss. BUT that's just my guess from some discussions I've seen on these forums.
I think its a function of the number of testers and/or exam sites. Probably has something to do with investigations of misconduct or something else that just takes a lot of time to adjudicate. But I could be wrong.

Exam question review was never a long pole, especially now with zoom meetings.

Previously the delays were due to need to schedule a "cut score" meeting for a new exam. For whatever reason it was difficult to schedule it for October exams in the "single day" exams. (i.e. Nuclear, Petro, Control Systems). Those meetings used to require flying in ~20 people from around the country for a two day meeting. If you've ever tried to schedule and plan a meeting with two dozen SMEs from all over the place then you understand the difficulty.

No Tmamwatery, I appreciate your response and it does not come off as rude at all. What you say makes sense and with more exams computer based now, I can see an argument for saying it may be earlier than the typical 5-6 weeks. We will find out soon, one way or the other I guess and who knows, NCEES may take a laissez faire approach and stretch it out to the 8-10 weeks they mentioned! Just to drive us all insane from the length of the suck! In all seriousness, I didn't realize the January regional exams were only 3 weeks turnaround, that must be a record! One other question, is it true at all they typically release on a Friday or does it just seem that way? What about AM versus PM typically?
I received my results on a Thursday back in December 2019.

I always forget how much that absolutely sucked.
So glad I don't have to deal with that every again.
Just came up with a solution to this... I made a burner email
*soandsos*[email protected]
Set a filter within the email address that NCEES has on file to forward anything with "NCEES" or [email protected] to the burner address. The burner address has a different obnoxious sound associated with it. This way I can continue to chill until I hear that particular obnoxious phone alert. 😎

Last edited:
Anyone too scared to open the [email protected] email, whenever it arrives and just days later start looking at the State License Lookup to see if it eventually shows one as a PE? That way if after a few weeks still not showing probably means you failed, but if you pass, praise the lord! That way you do not have to risk seeing that horrifying red "FAIL" on the NCEES and figure out in a more dignified manner. LOL. However, you may have to be willing to wait days/weeks longer as I have no idea how quickly after receiving a PASS result the State Board updates the license lookup. Just do not know if I am brave enough to face that red FAIL again, if it happens!

In my mind it’s all calm but I remember the fear in my heart 5 years ago when I got that NCEES email for the FE results lol.

Just came up with a solution to this... I made a burner email
*soandsos*[email protected]
Set a filter within the email address that NCEES has on file to forward anything with "NCEES" or [email protected] to the burner address. The burner address has a different obnoxious sound associated with it. This way I can continue to chill until I hear that particular obnoxious phone alert. 😎
This is such a great way to deal. I love us nerds, we have the answer to everything. If we don't, some other nerd we know does!

This is such a great way to deal. I love us nerds, we have the answer to everything. If we don't, some other nerd we know does!
LOL it's been a while since hearing engineers called nerds. Back in college, the campus I was on had predominantly engineering and pharmacy students. We used to call each other enginerds and pharmageeks. Sadly that's where the rivalry ended as we'd hit our books and not each other :geek::geek:.

LOL it's been a while since hearing engineers called nerds. Back in college, the campus I was on had predominantly engineering and pharmacy students. We used to call each other enginerds and pharmageeks. Sadly that's where the rivalry ended as we'd hit our books and not each other :geek::geek:.
my first thought was "who had time to sit around and come up with that retort? this mechanics homework isn't going to finish itself!" 🤓

I received my results on a Thursday back in December 2019.
Got my April 2011 results 2:30PM Friday of Memorial Day weekend. My office productivity from 2:30PM to 5:00PM was nil, maybe negative if there's such a thing lol. The drinking commenced when I got home wellllllllll into the holiday weekend. I'm hoping everyone waiting for results here get to experience that awesome sensation.

that's just rude of them to release the results in the morning knowing bars aren't open when results would be posted.

Yes, my existence here is for comedic relief:)
I keep a stocked bar and enough whiskey to kill multiple people in my apartment. I'd just need to run to the grocery store for mixers and limes.

Got my April 2011 results 2:30PM Friday of Memorial Day weekend. My office productivity from 2:30PM to 5:00PM was nil, maybe negative if there's such a thing lol. The drinking commenced when I got home wellllllllll into the holiday weekend. I'm hoping everyone waiting for results here get to experience that awesome sensation.
This is the dream. Either have a 3-day long bonfire with it built upon the ashes of the MUTCD or have a 3-day bender hugging your pillow in one hand with a bottle of vodka in the other.

Back