April 2019 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waiting for the results to know if I'm actually a PE yet or not. 

I'll have to have a sit down with my manager. Seems like company policy is pretty rigid on only doing pay bumps once a year.

Kind of stinks, they'll be getting a good deal I guess. Nothing like paying for a PPI class and all the other junk and not get a raise for it until next year (~3k invested in this thing...)

Hey, another CompE! Bizarre to think that the two of us make up a rather large percent of test takers compared to two examines in other, larger disciplines. 

My "problem" with the small exams (based on nothing but my apprehension) is that I don't know if the normal rules of thumb apply to us. For instance, is the cut still around 56 like the other tests, or can it vary wildly based on the performance of the examinees? (I know the exam is generally supposed to measure a minimum level of competency, but with such a small sample size, I'm not sure how that's done.) 

It's hard to relate the CompE exam to the others, and it's driving me crazy. 

@ChebyshevII_PE, since a CompE PE is generally considered pointless in most cases, what was your reason for taking it? 
Why are people assuming cut scores are around 56? It's different everytime, and actually was 50 in construction last exam. (According to texas results)

Why are people assuming cut scores are around 56? It's different everytime, and actually was 50 in construction last exam. (According to texas results)
A range of 52ish-57 is normal.

Not many vets trust the Texas cut core extrapolations. No one actually knows the formula they use (if they even have one) and a little error in guessing the formula either way can swing the cut score a few questions.

Because everyone is assuming the rule of thumb 70% minimum.  Which is a fallacy. 
:thumbs:

Hey, another CompE! Bizarre to think that the two of us make up a rather large percent of test takers compared to two examines in other, larger disciplines. 

@ChebyshevII_PE, since a CompE PE is generally considered pointless in most cases, what was your reason for taking it? 
I actually practice in three areas: electrical, control systems, and software. My “endorsement” on my license is Electrical. 

I don’t actually practice Computer Engineering (chip and processor design, etc.) on a regular basis like the majority of those taking the test do, but the exam and the subject matter does fall under the category of Electrical, and it happens to be what I’m good at; given this and my background, I decided the Comp PE was the exam that would give me the best chance at success.

While I certainly don’t regret my decision, I did have one heck of a time finding good, reliable resources for this exam, since there are so few people taking it. The PPI material was seriously out of date and incomplete, too.

Glad to meet a fellow CompPE test taker! :)  What was your reason for taking it?

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, the biggest problem for the smaller exams is the lack of study materials. No one, except for the professional societies, is going to produce a useful study guide that would, at best, sell 100 copies. It's makes it difficult to know what to study for an what kind of questions to expect. The CE, ME, and EnvE have it easier in this regard.
The lack of exam prep materials was the most nerve-racking part of preparing. There are basically two purpose-built resources:

1. The NCEES practice exam, and
  2. the out of production PPI2Pass practice/sample exam (which you can obtain used for only $860 on Amazon [a friend had a copy that he let me use]).
There were two resources that I took to the exam that were invaluable, and the only reason I knew about them was because a friend who previously took the exam told me about them. He only knew them because he stumbled across some guy who talked about them in his blog about the exam.

It felt a lot like anything computer-related was fair game, so there really wasn't much that could be done to prepare for the exam. There were a couple of topics covered that I would never have reviewed no matter how long I studied.

Because everyone is assuming the rule of thumb 70% minimum.  Which is a fallacy. 
In the words of Mel Brooks: "Hope for the Best, Expect the Worst." I am working on the presumption that the required score would be arbitrarily high so as to temper expectation. I know that the scores vary test to test. 

I was less concerned about the cut score itself than I was how they arrived to their cut scores for small exams. Having a small sample size seems like it could potentially affect how they grade them.

I actually practice in three areas: electrical, control systems, and software. My “endorsement” on my license is Electrical. 

I don’t actually practice Computer Engineering (chip and processor design, etc.) on a regular basis like the majority of those taking the test do, but the exam and the subject matter does fall under the category of Electrical, and it happens to be what I’m good at; given this and my background, I decided the Comp PE was the exam that would give me the best chance at success.

While I certainly don’t regret my decision, I did have one heck of a time finding good, reliable resources for this exam, since there are so few people taking it. The PPI material was seriously out of date and incomplete, too.

Glad to meet a fellow CompPE test taker! :)  What was your reason for taking it?
Ah, that makes sense. I don't actually practice computer engineering, either (although that is what my degree was in).

I work for a power utility who values PE licenses, so here I am. Also, it's also a lot easier, and just as beneficial (in my opinion) to get a PE license than it is to get a masters.

I agree, it is particularly hard to find good resources. There was a single book that I used for something like 50% of the questions, and I basically lucked into buying it.

My state asks which exam we're taking during the application, but there is no specific endorsement on the license itself.

The lack of exam prep materials was the most nerve-racking part of preparing. There are basically two purpose-built resources:

1. The NCEES practice exam, and
  2. the out of production PPI2Pass practice/sample exam (which you can obtain used for only $860 on Amazon [a friend had a copy that he let me use]).
There were two resources that I took to the exam that were invaluable, and the only reason I knew about them was because a friend who previously took the exam told me about them. He only knew them because he stumbled across some guy who talked about them in his blog about the exam.

It felt a lot like anything computer-related was fair game, so there really wasn't much that could be done to prepare for the exam. There were a couple of topics covered that I would never have reviewed no matter how long I studied.
That was my experience, too. I actually found a copy of the PPI sample exam for about $100 while I was studying but I would say it was well worth the cost, if for nothing else but gauging where I was at.

I wish PPI would actually do better on their study materials for this, but I don’t see it happening anytime soon. That’s one of the reasons I really appreciate EB and other misc blogs out there.

In the words of Mel Brooks: "Hope for the Best, Expect the Worst." I am working on the presumption that the required score would be arbitrarily high so as to temper expectation. 
^This is probably some of the best advice offered on this board.

Also, it's also a lot easier, and just as beneficial (in my opinion) to get a PE license than it is to get a masters.
You're entitled to your opinion, even if you're wrong. ;)  A masters is more time but far easier and less stressful than the PE.

I was less concerned about the cut score itself than I was how they arrived to their cut scores for small exams. Having a small sample size seems like it could potentially affect how they grade them.
There's a technical term for the process, someone mentioned it last session on these forums but I can't find it.

I know that some (if not all) small tests will have PEs, SMEs, etc volunteer to take the exam, or proposed exam questions, to beta test it and determine the standards. Usually happens several months ahead. of the real thing. I will never be one of those masochists. 

You're entitled to your opinion, even if you're wrong. ;)  A masters is more time but far easier and less stressful than the PE.
I’ve always felt that the PE and Masters Degrees serve different purposes. An R&D company, for example (or any sort of academically-oriented profession, really), is probably less likely to trust a PE with a bachelors degree than a Master’s with no PE. Conversely, you must have a PE to perform engineering services for the general public; it doesn’t matter if you have a graduate degree of any sort for that area if you don’t have a license.

Of course, that would mean it’s best to go for both. It is interesting hearing someone say that a master’s is “easier” though; I guess it depends on how far you go with it.

Latest posts

Back