2019 Novel Coronavirus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats fine you dont have to believe it, but I was told that by an actual state official.  So unless you have a better source than the interwebz or CNN you have no right to cast doubt on it.  Other than the fact than im just some poster on the other end of the internet.
But does the state official have any medical expertise? (I'm guessing the answer is no.)  You can hold a title and still spread a lot of dangerous bullshit.  Look at Dr. Oz. Expert cardiologist? Yes.  But also someone who disguises a lot of bullshit as ~~medical advice~~

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats fine you dont have to believe it, but I was told that by an actual state official.  So unless you have a better source than the interwebz or CNN you have no right to cast doubt on it.  Other than the fact than im just some poster on the other end of the internet.
Multiple medical professionals have said that because this is an animal-to-human transmission (thus making it a 'novel' virus) it's difficult to predict what it is, especially since it mutated quickly from simple animal-to-human (which is easily controlled) to  human-to-human transmission.  That's what is making this virus so hard to contain and potentially treat.  Unlike the previous iterations of the flu, the coronovirus already, I believe, has 2 or more different strains.  It is mutating and I don't think enough people are taking this seriously enough/are listening to people who are not medical professionals.  

State officials are potentially the last people I'd talk to about the nature of the virus.

State officials are potentially the last people I'd talk to about the nature of the virus.
Yeah, especially because many of these "officials" have biases and agendas of their own.

The other problem is that, if they are not part of the medical community, then it looks like a game of telephone, rather than a statement based on actual research..."she said that he said that she said that..."

Jesus Christ, and my boomer co-workers are ordering Jimmy John's.  For delivery.

I just...I get that restaurants and fast food places are open.  But maybe you shouldn't be ordering/eating food that is prepped outside you home when a viral health pandemic is going on?  Maybe that's be being overly cautious, but the mouth is one of the main gateways for this thing and health workers are usually the first to get sick/be unable to take sick leave from work so they keep working.

Jesus Christ, and my boomer co-workers are ordering Jimmy John's.  For delivery.

I just...I get that restaurants and fast food places are open.  But maybe you shouldn't be ordering/eating food that is prepped outside you home when a viral health pandemic is going on?  Maybe that's be being overly cautious, but the mouth is one of the main gateways for this thing and health workers are usually the first to get sick/be unable to take sick leave from work so they keep working.
You're not being overly cautious at all. We haven't been eating out and we have no plans to until this dies down.

You are technically correct. But the reality is that many people don't / can't / don't know how to make their own food. That also requires you to be able to go to the grocery store (equally risky?), and find food to buy (not guaranteed).

You are technically correct. But the reality is that many people don't / can't / don't know how to make their own food. That also requires you to be able to go to the grocery store (equally risky?), and find food to buy (not guaranteed).
Honestly, I'm a bit on the fence about this one as well. Seems like there's a risk no matter what you do; even the food you get at the grocery store *could* be contaminated.

We also don't want our favorite restaurants to go out of business, seeing as how pandemics aren't exactly friendly to the livelihoods of food service employees (although that will probably be offset a little by whatever gov't stimulus package is currently in the works).

@JayKay PE does have a point about health workers, though. But I guess they gotta get their sustenance somewhere...

Honestly, I'm a bit on the fence about this one as well. Seems like there's a risk no matter what you do; even the food you get at the grocery store *could* be contaminated.

We also don't want our favorite restaurants to go out of business, seeing as how pandemics aren't exactly friendly to the livelihoods of food service employees (although that will probably be offset a little by whatever gov't stimulus package is currently in the works).
Yeah same 

I think you have to assumed we’re all going to be exposed to it - so I wouldn’t really fret the food part - we are not wiping boxes of cereal we buy at the store.

Under 60 and don’t smoke or have other medical issues you will likely self care at home for a week....

Kind of weird the media isn’t telling people that if you are a smoker and get this you are fucked!

I think you have to assumed we’re all going to be exposed to it - so I wouldn’t really fret the food part - we are not wiping boxes of cereal we buy at the store.

Under 60 and don’t smoke or have other medical issues you will likely self care at home for a week....

Kind of weird the media isn’t telling people that if you are a smoker and get this you are fucked!
I am so glad I only vape gummy bear flavored ejuice.

*has seen multiple articles saying that if you're a smoker you're fucked*

I mean, it's an infection of the lungs, right?  Specifically targeting something that is fairly vulnerable for more of our population than we realize?  Asthma = lungs.  Immuno-compromised = usually lungs and/or other delicate organs.  Smoking/vaping = damages lungs.

I'm not worried about the food prep, per se, it's more the delivery in-between.  I don't know what temperature that technically needs to be reached to denature the virus, but I'm assuming it would be reached with cooked foods.

People just need to learn to cook.  Call up mom and ask for a walk-through to make pierogies.

I did not see the sink the first time.
giphy.gif

Ugh.  Boomer coworker is like, "I've had a little something in my throat, but it's not bad/I don't think it's serious." and then she got a little snotty when I was like, "If you're sick, you should stay at home.  What if there was someone immuno-compromised in the office?"

Jesus Christ.  I can't.

Back