2019 Novel Coronavirus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^That's my biggest concern about going into the office. There is a group of people working at the office daily that are like that while in the office and apparently non-maskers out and about town.

^That's my biggest concern about going into the office. There is a group of people working at the office daily that are like that while in the office and apparently non-maskers out and about town.
Yea I watched a train conductor exit a train at the station yesterday and lower his mask to shout where the train was going. There were several people standing right in front of him trying to get on the train.

Well look at it this way: those people are the most likely to have been infected already. So once we get past this 3rd wave, maybe they aren't as much of a threat anymore?

(I kid, but there is some truth to that. The problem is you can't count on it and those people are also the most likely to infect YOU)

we technically only have to wear a mask when we leave our cube, but when I do go in for a couple hours, I leave my mask on the whole time. if they start making us go back, I will likely invest in the better masks.

we technically only have to wear a mask when we leave our cube, but when I do go in for a couple hours, I leave my mask on the whole time. if they start making us go back, I will likely invest in the better masks.
Pretty much everyone in our company requested they raise the cube walls from the bullshit shoulder height ones to the normal height ones, since they were doing renovations anyways. They didn't. So, anyone who goes in will effectively be face to face with a coworker for 8-10 hours.

Pretty much everyone in our company requested they raise the cube walls from the bullshit shoulder height ones to the normal height ones, since they were doing renovations anyways. They didn't. So, anyone who goes in will effectively be face to face with a coworker for 8-10 hours.
we have the short 5ft walls. The tall walls are for supervisors only. When at the office one side is to a busy hallway...I would LOVE to have a tall wall for just that one side to block out the people walking past. It was very distracting.

Our office had normal walls, but the building we're consolidating in is all short. They're not even 5 feet, they're shoulder height when seated. With only 1/3 of the office populated, the place sounded like a call center. It was awful.

Our office had normal walls, but the building we're consolidating in is all short. They're not even 5 feet, they're shoulder height when seated. With only 1/3 of the office populated, the place sounded like a call center. It was awful.
what's the point then? defined personal space?

Ours are also pretty much shoulder height when sitting. The owner said it was to "promote collaboration". My money is on the money. I am sure you pay for every inch of partition height so to take off two feet from the standard gets some savings.

Back in 2016, my company decided to buy a building and renovate for our new offices (ESOP, looks better to own than rent). Doing so we went from all single story to ground level w/ basement. The mechanical, civil and electrical groups are all in the basement with offices, conference, break, RR's and storage/mech space around the perimeter, w/ 20 cubes in the middle. They chose to go with an "open" cube feel and settled on 4' tall cube walls since our basement floor to ceiling is only 8'. I fortunately have one of the 7 offices. My guess for why anyone would want cube walls shorter than 4' is so that management can see if you're playing tetris?

They sent roughly half the office home to work remotely last March and around Sept. most of us have migrated back as WA started moving into subsequent phase re-openings. They ended up installing 2' tall plexiglass extensions to all of the cubes and dividers to the people who share double cubes. We wear masks when away from our offices/cube and use hand sanitizer after everything we touch. The only restricted access is the water fountains.

.... My guess for why anyone would want cube walls shorter than 4' is so that management can see if you're playing tetris?

You should tell management that Tetris promotes engineering skills development. How else will you learn to fit everything into that electrical panel, or into that gearbox, or that building layout?

To be honest, I'm skeptical of any engineer who doesn't play Tetris. :D

Dothraki got it. It's all nonsense to cover the fact that your screen is visible to everybody, making it easier for management to see what you're doing.

^Not only more contagious, but also less affected by antibodies. Apparently convalescent plasma doesn't work against this variant, but the antibodies produced by vaccine response seem to respond, but not to the same degree as for the previous variants. From what I have heard, the experts seem to think the vaccine will still be effective, just maybe less so (like, you might get sick but hopefully not severely). It takes time to get a definitive handle on all of that, though, so I'm not getting worked up about it yet.

Back