Whatcha Playin?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im playing Skyrim for now. I might stop once I get through the quests.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Storyline only, or all quests?  Storyline can be done in about a week, but I don't think you can ever finish all the quests. The walkthrough guidebook is the size of a damn college textbook.

My absolute favorite part of SA is the hitchhiker side missions.  Even better is the fact that you can deliver them to the cult at the top of the mountain in exchange for cash!
GTA V, right?  I have only delivered 2 to the cult so far. I dropped one chick off to her boyfriend at a radio tower, who them tried to beat me up so I killed them both (Bad Trevor!).  Then I picked up some dude who prmised me a major stock tip if I could get him to the airport on time, but I changed my mind and turned around too late from delivering him to the cult, and missed the deadline to the airport so he cussed me out and bailed. I didn't kill him, although i should have. Then there was some girl who had been stabbed in a heist, so I delivered her home and now she's a crew member. 

I have only delivered 2 to the cult so far. I dropped one chick off to her boyfriend at a radio tower, who them tried to beat me up so I killed them both (Bad Trevor!).  Then I picked up some dude who prmised me a major stock tip if I could get him to the airport on time, but I changed my mind and turned around too late from delivering him to the cult, and missed the deadline to the airport so he cussed me out and bailed. I didn't kill him, although i should have. Then there was some girl who had been stabbed in a heist, so I delivered her home and now she's a crew member. 
So this is a typical Thurs. for you, right? But what have you been doing in the video games you're playing?

GTA V, right?  I have only delivered 2 to the cult so far. I dropped one chick off to her boyfriend at a radio tower, who them tried to beat me up so I killed them both (Bad Trevor!).  Then I picked up some dude who prmised me a major stock tip if I could get him to the airport on time, but I changed my mind and turned around too late from delivering him to the cult, and missed the deadline to the airport so he cussed me out and bailed. I didn't kill him, although i should have. Then there was some girl who had been stabbed in a heist, so I delivered her home and now she's a crew member. 
Yep, she comes in handy as a cheap but good hacker.

I hadn't played any of the GTAs since Vice City because that was about the time I had my kids, and after that i couldn't play SA (although I owned it) because it was a step beyond Vice City in language, at least (F bombs all over the place). Finally my kids are now old enough (can't believe it's been that long) that I can play again, so I picked up GTA V this summer and have been playing it on the PS4.  Holy crap!  What a game!  I can play for hours, just screwing around in the world, messing with the AI bots, or play the story and still there is tons to do and see. I had to take some "use or lose" leave last month, and I spent several of those days playing it.  So worth it!  
Yup.  These games are absolutely amazing.  The whole virtual world blows me away.  Yes they are rude and crude and incredibly in-politically correct - but that is half the fun I guess, right?  Yeah, I can spend hours just dicking around in the world not even playing missions.  Incredibly impressive games (most particularly GTA IV and V).  

<sigh> You guys are making me want to get back into that again. Might have to see what the latest version is going for on Steam (PC gamer here) these days.

<sigh> You guys are making me want to get back into that again. Might have to see what the latest version is going for on Steam (PC gamer here) these days.
Ugggh, never got in to PC gaming.  Sitting at a desk chair, 2.5' from a 22" monitor, using a keyboard and mouse, and two little speakers?  No thanks.  I want my leather recliner, wireless controller, 7.2 surround sound, and 100" screen!  :p  

Pfffttt.

I will give it to the PC gamers, they have some wicked crazy setups...

tumblr_nopmybudR71rf62rjo1_500.jpg

Binged a bit on AC Origins this weekend.

Pros: 

• There's actually some semblance of a plot to this one
  • Climbing is pretty smooth.  You don't even have to think about it anymore, you can climb just about anything.
  • Lots of weapons
  • The open world in this game is huuuuuuuuge.  Like, exponentially bigger than some of the previous games.  The map just keeps scrolling and scrolling.
  • Side missions aplenty 
  • Has animated boobs
Cons:

• The new fighting system.  Shields do nothing but block arrows, and you can't counter 99% of the hits unless you just dive out of the way.  It's pretty much a gymnastics competition with some hacking and slashing built in.  And it's damned near impossible to fight your way out of any semblance of a group.
  • Crafting - it's there, but not really.  It just sort of happens in the background as you loot/hunt, and all the upgrades are virtually negligible due to the way the leveling up works.
  • Headshots - they don't do shit after about an hour into the game.  I get it, this guys a level 15 guard, and not a level 2 guard, but it shouldn't take 4 arrows to the head to kill a guy.  Using the bow is supposed to be about 50% of your game play, and you can't even use it for stealth kills anymore.
  • Story line leveling - sometimes you are stuck doing side missions just for the sake of leveling up to continue the main story line or else you'll get massacred.  

Story-line leveling is something that's fairly common to other open-world games like GTA and Final Fantasy. You need to spend hours farming Experience Points just to move on to the next storyline mission. If it's a good game, you can farm that XP when you enjoy the side missions and it doesn't feel like you're wasting time.  It does become a bit of a drag if you just have to walk around killing bad guys for XP without any purpose like a quest/mission (Final Fantasy 13 was this way).

I have a habit of doing too many side quests and end up breezing through the storyline because I'm significantly higher than the "recommended" levels.

Since when does GTA have leveling?

I'm OK with small steps here and there, but when you have a "meet so and so at the lighthouse tonight" and suddenly you have to jump up about 5 levels, it kills the continuity of the game.  

Ugh. Why are Xbox system updates so large? I swear I spend more time downloading updates than playing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

GTA V is getting damn good.  I was just introduced to the playable character Trevor.  He's a bad A!  I think I am at ~19%. 

Back