~~**-- The Weather Thread --**~~

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are about 10mi north of where some came through.
iu

I think Chattanooga is in a bad location. With the Appalachians to the east and the Cumberland plateau to the west, we're like a funnel for tornadoes. Something I've only come to learn after moving here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like your snow made it here.  They’re calling for 1-3 in. Here overnight.  Crap!

Rained so hard here last night, the house was actually shaking from these swells of water hitting it.

pattern of late.  really nice unusually warm day followed by a wicked bad storm and rapid temp drop.  mid 70s today, mid 80s tomorrow, sunday thunderstorms and back to 60s....and repeat

pattern of late.  really nice unusually warm day followed by a wicked bad storm and rapid temp drop.  mid 70s today, mid 80s tomorrow, sunday thunderstorms and back to 60s....and repeat
Pretty much describes what we’ve been getting.  Tomorrow is supposed to be one of the warm sunny days.  Yea!

Pretty much describes what we’ve been getting.  Tomorrow is supposed to be one of the warm sunny days.  Yea!
I may finally get the rest of the deck furniture out tomorrow.  Should do another driveway beer hangout.

I may finally get the rest of the deck furniture out tomorrow.  Should do another driveway beer hangout.
@P-E We can do, that.  I’m definitely taking the convertible out tomorrow 

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: the dam has failed.  Caused breach of another dam downstream as well.  Lots of people evacuating, and unclear how far downstream the flooding will go.

damn!  how big a lake is that? 

people always say the earth is fragile, but the earth can fuck you up if wants to!

@mudpuppy Weren't those dams cited as being problematic/questionable for some time now?

Yes.  FERC listed it as a high-hazard dam in 1999 and revoked the electric generation permit for it a couple years ago saying that it might not survive a flood.  The owner had refused to make the repairs/upgrades that FERC required.

I wouldn't 100% blame the owner though--I don't see how these small dam owners can afford to maintain and upgrade them with the amount they make from the generation.  One of these dams the owner had threatened to drain the lake for safety reasons because they couldn't afford the upgrades, and of course the lakeshore property owners had a fit.

Apparently they had a deal in the works to sell all four dams to a government consortium.  I think that makes a lot more sense because I don't see how else you can balance the benefits to the landowners, lake users and dam owners with the cost to maintain.

damn!  how big a lake is that? 

people always say the earth is fragile, but the earth can fuck you up if wants to!
This particular lake is about 2,000 acres.  So not huge, but not that small either.

Back