search continues for missing father-son hikers from St. Louis Park

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much do the handhelds cost? Seems like a good precaution especially if you are going off the well marked trails.

Speaking of 14ers, I've seen people get peak fever, they keep pushing on despite bad conditions because they have to get the top. We have been running down to get to treeline in hail and lightening and folks are still marching up the hill.

It's smart to carry extra clothes because When you are climbing up one side of the mountain, you can't see the weather coming on the other side.

Cement, and anyone else interested:

Check out the BaoFeng UV-5RE Plus(UV-5R+) Dual-Band 136-174/400-480 MHz FM Ham Two-way Radio on Amazon.

Currently less than $40. Great handheld, highly recommend getting a programming cable with it, they are a bear to field program.

Cement-that's why you need my nerdy watch that tells you when the barometric pressure is dropping fast!

they found these guys a few weeks ago. Ive been trying to see exactly where they were found but it looks like the walked up the road about a mile and tried to turn back (while it was snowing) and veered off the road, best estimate I can get anyone to tell is they were found about 2 miles from their car..

very sad..still dont know what would make someone think that was a safe activity to do without the right gear...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/18/bodies-found-on-colorado-mount-evans-identified-as-minnesota-father-son-missing/

That's a pretty cool gadget csb.

This whole thing is pretty sad. Obviously, the whole situation was not what they were prepared for.

CSB - do you have to pay a monthly service for that or is it a one time fee?

my kids scout troop made snow caves and slept in them in February up in the mountains, it was pretty amazing how warm those things get with some people inside. of course you need to have a shovel with you to make one..( I slept in the cabin with the fireplace)

I wouldnt have thought to carry one either had I come out here before living out here though.. but now we know...

It's an annual fee, including an insurance rider that will pay for him to be airlifted out. It's $175 for the year, which is worth it for me. It also includes a tracking feature, which is super cool to see where he's been and it also helps me gauge when I should start to worry. Additionally, it allows him to send out "I'm okay" messages. Although, it doesn't say I'm okay, because I changed the message to say, "Mr. csb is a woodland stud."

Can it send messages to anyone? I think wife would like to have something in car in case we drive off the side of Loveland pass one day?

It also includes a tracking feature, which is super cool to see where he's been
"Ya I'm totally on my way home." Umm...no you're at the bar! I can see it! LOL

I think wife would like to have something in car in case we drive off the side of Loveland pass one day?
Having been on Loveland Pass, this would really suck.

Can it send messages to anyone? I think wife would like to have something in car in case we drive off the side of Loveland pass one day?
I believe some of the higher end models can; IIRC from the manufacturer presentation at a search & rescue meeting. They are uber expensive though to have the added features. You're better off with a satellite phone.

The base model that CSB is talking about can only be pre-programmed by computer or online to whom it will send messages too. There's a limit to that number as well (IIRC up to 10 addresses). The message gets sent to everyone at the same time to boot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ill just have to program it to text Dex, Cement and CSB.... maybe I can have it programmed to post here?

^ I'm sure they'll love that. But hey, they live close enuf to get a search party started...

Just know that if you get lost somewhere, it is most likely in a place I cannot drive to...

We've got a lifted truck with a winch. We'll come get you.

The 911/ oh **** message for ours goes to 911, me and my parents, with multiple contacts for each of us (email, text, home phone). The email sends out the last location.

Back