The Pet Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot about this thread, but have a chicken update to share.  A few weeks ago, a hawk got one of our silkies.  I happened to look out the kitchen window one morning to see a hawk on the ground in the azalea bush.  Opening the door scared it off.  Of course, I announce my findings of a hawk (COOL!) to the fam and, upon further inspection after going outside, I discover why the hawk was there in the first place (not cool) - the limp, fuzzy body of Charley.  Well, we go out and around and do a head count of all the remaining chickens and go back inside for a bit.  I look out the same window not five minutes later and that hawk is on the ground walking to / stalking the body and possibly the other two silkies hiding in the bush.  I opened the door and it flew off yet again.  Haven't seen it since, btw.  The silver lining, I guess, is that Charley was a rooster and making a racket in the mornings... a funny racket from a puff ball, but still a racket.  Already told the wife we're not getting any more chickens... ever.
My dad had a similar problem with a hawk.... until the 22 got involved.

Here's my Moo. 38lb now, was 23lb when we got her 3 months ago 😂. Back on bland food for her gastro system since she keeps eating something in the yard (not poop) that jacks her system up. But she'll transition back to her puppy food in a few days and when our bag of puppy food is done, she gets to go on adult food.

20200221_074719.jpg

PetSmart had a pretty good sale going for Presidents' Day weekend so I took advantage and got a new aquarium...75-gallon with a stand.  We currently have a 36-gallon that has gradually been turned into a cichlid tank as the original fish, uhhh, went to live on a farm in the country.  Cichlids are probably some of the neatest looking freshwater fish, but they can be assholes and some of them can get pretty big so they're going to move to the 75 and we may see about turning the 36 into a small saltwater tank.

Something else we thought about is turning our old piano into an aquarium. It's an 1890-s upright that is broken so it can't be tuned without some major work and since it weighs 8 million pounds, we can't find a way to get rid of it so we've talked about gutting it and building a tank into it.

download.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We adopted a 40lb cat.

I actually had an old man ask me if I was walking a cat as he was failing to recall his dog. Moo being larger than this dog too...

20200315_085725.jpg

We lost Sampson this weekend. He went after Claude and ended up getting hurt pretty bad in a couple spots. The vet said she could stitch everything up, but given his age, there was a pretty good chance he wouldn’t make it and would be miserable in the meantime so they stayed late so we could drive back to the vet and say goodbye. He was 9 or 10 which is really old for a Great Dane so were wondering if he had some sort of dog dementia and that’s what started the whole thing.

92720850-C608-4921-BD01-03E927B9EBC1.jpeg

For those who didn't see on Facebook, we had to put our kitty to sleep a few weeks ago. She was having some sort of cardiovascular failure and was on her last legs. She lead a happy last few years of her life having made the transition from outdoor stray to indoor lap cat. She'll be missed.

87275070_3356258814387455_1423279585537032192_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jen and dex:  sorry to hear it.  It’s always tough when the time comes.

Sampson was a rescue so he was with us for about 4 years, but from what they told us, his life was not great and he got passed around a lot before we got him. We just hope that we were able to make those last 4 years happy and stable for him. I’ve had dogs before, but for some reason, this one has been really tough to take even though it was ‘only’ 4 years. 

Back