The Pet Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all for the positive vibes for Ursala. She is back home. Definitely in more pain than last time, and more post operative bleeding (she had none last time - a lot of it this time is a nose bleed caused by the fistula). But she's doing OK. They ended up giving her a pain med injection around 4PM, and it took her a good while to come out of that sedation. She was able to stand when she saw me, but too wobbly to walk for a few hours. Even now, her hind end is still a bit weak, but she was feeling good enough to eat a small meal and as many turkey slices as I was able to offer. Hopefully the bleeding will subside further by tomorrow afternoon and the pain will lessen.

How is Ursula doing today @Supe ??? Seeming a little better?

Ursala did pretty well Friday, with swelling peaking around Friday night (a lot up by the sinuses, and a lot on the lip where the intubation tube was resting during the procedure), but all bleeding had stopped by Friday morning. By late yesterday, most swelling was gone, and I couldn't see any swelling at all today, other than a little sinus chortle because the sinus cavity itself is likely still a bit inflamed. But, she's not showing any signs of pain at all, so everything seems to have gone according to plan!

Booooo to (unnecessary) meetings!

51971597428_62b2d889c5_b.jpg

In Hamilton County, chickens are allowed (just no roosters) so I guess our boujie township tried to deter people by not allowing chicken coops. Now there are just people with "sheds" with little chicken sized doors.

This past year when we were back in the woods getting stuff set up for our Halloween trail, all of a sudden there's like 4 or 5 chickens pecking around. WT actual F?!?! Turns out the people at the end of the next street over got them and put them in the back part of their yard where it butts up to ours.

Before they moved out neighbor would let his chickens roam outside the fenced coup in the early evening, we would random get chickens walking the yard.

We're pretty fortunate to have a nice little fenced corner area where the coup/chicken yard is tucked away. We usually only mow that area once a month since the birds keep it pretty well tended. Also, because engineer, I had to take the simple Amish made coupe we bought and install a solar powered coup door actuator. It's been nice not having to go out twice a day just to unlock/lock up the birds. We're at 7 chickens now and should have a surplus of eggs in a few months.

We're pretty fortunate to have a nice little fenced corner area where the coup/chicken yard is tucked away. We usually only mow that area once a month since the birds keep it pretty well tended. Also, because engineer, I had to take the simple Amish made coupe we bought and install a solar powered coup door actuator. It's been nice not having to go out twice a day just to unlock/lock up the birds. We're at 7 chickens now and should have a surplus of eggs in a few months.
So the chickens always just go in their coup on their own without having to be pushed in? They’re just like “welp it’s getting dark out, better go inside and go to bed”?

So the chickens always just go in their coup on their own without having to be pushed in? They’re just like “welp it’s getting dark out, better go inside and go to bed”?
Yeah, just like I am Legend... as soon as the sun tucks under the horizon they go to roost. The actuator controller runs on a photo sensor and I have the close setpoint at about +30 min. after sunset so it gives them plenty of time. It's funny, there's a 30 sec. count down alarm that beeps in increasing increments like a detonator in the movies.

New Chickens 2.jpg

Back