The Pet Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Ursala has been having recurring bouts of GI issues that we haven't been able to kick. It used to be that antibiotics would keep her clear for a few months at a time, then a few weeks, then it would turn into two rounds of antibiotics... until this last round, which we couldn't get over the hump. Lots of gas, diarrhea, etc.

So a lot of $$$ later in testing, and she's been diagnosed with EPI, SIBO, and likely IBD. EPI means the pancreas is no longer secreting the necessary digestive enzymes (likely caused by long term damage from multiple bouts of pancreatitis which we have battled since she was young), which means vitamin deficiencies and eventual weight loss due to malabsorption. The undigested food feeds SIBO, which is a bacterial overgrowth in the small intestines, causing more gas, diarrhea, and possibly her HGE event earlier this year. It also explains how she's been maintaining her weight despite eating double what the boys do, and they have 20-30 lbs on her.

The care plan is digestive enzymes with every meal ($$$), and two months of Tylosin which is an antibiotic intended for longer usage than metronidazole. This is coupled with a prescription hydrolyzed kibble ($$$$$). She also needs B12 injections weekly - she had one already, today they are showing me how to administer, and I will do them from home from now on.

She had been on chicken and rice for a bland diet with some of the kibble introduced, and the first night on the new meds was a disaster. The gas was out of this world, and her BM was one of the worst to date. I was going to stop the kibble, but a vet friend (former greyhound trainer and pet mom to FIFTEEN greyhounds) said she NEEDS that kibble, stop the chicken and rice instead, as she may have developed a sensitivity/allergy to the chicken. Second day seemed a little better, and by the third day the gas has stopped completely. I haven't seen any fresh BM's, but I'm hoping for a nice, fully formed turd at some point!

Never thought the moments I'd look forward to most in my life would be literal dog ****!

Aries thoroughly unimpressed by PowerPoint:

51859001639_e3126cb0c3_b.jpg

Haven't posted this here yet, but one of our dogs had a 17 pound spleenic mass removed in May. It was malignant, but not metastatic and the mitotic index was zero, so we've started him on chemotherapy. Two rounds of chemo complete with 4 more to go. He seems to be doing pretty well. He gets a bit sick for a few days from the chemo, but in general he has more energy and seems happier than he did before the surgery.

We always said we wouldn't be "those people" that put a dog through chemo, thinking that it causes the dog to suffer and doesn't do much to extend life. But in this case it's a rare cancer and there was no real prognosis (e.g. he's going to die in 6 months) and in fact all the signs have been fairly good. Plus the way they apply chemo for dogs doesn't make them super sick. So we're optimistic the chemo may actually help in the long run.

So we did 6 rounds of chemo and a check about 6 months later showed no recurrence/spread of the cancer. Given his age, we decided we weren't going to subject him to 6 month checkups, since the result would be either be no news, or more chemo that we didn't want to subject him to.

That was 4 years ago. He started not doing too well this weekend, could barely stand up to go outside. We took him into the vet today and the prognosis is cancer has spread to several areas and he is severely anemic with free fluid, meaning he's bleeding internally somewhere. Time to say goodbye. :cry: But at least we can say we gave him another good 4 years.

Sorry to hear, MP. Glad you guys were able to give him four more great years.

Jack the garage cat, with some android pic filter. He's on his feeding perch waiting his Friskies meaty bits n' gravy.
Jv4zmQ1j4j6VpxkkCjh5TBQqR-OISbQApWYT0ks8lGKZCQO0ZmgyP7tsyVVCPW5IyjUZs2qZgeXegwBaqqxZt1G9yun0XsW5qmVxC3-wdo11hAby8JNyhl4KM5b7WVNwFRKOW5-dieEtdnNY_6kAiQzmC1DujJe3LZLJ9SYSIuJRSxcNGhEP3nrudYn6Gk4QW9Dd2fvLPWx3O3tBk02nEcY5YKohRy6DWN-gd68d2hVd9Qydob-y5BceEunnqDEKAIMEgk6ySXFwJSUwVGtC_fIZr1SNqDVGMXis9hsq6RK3ugvJVPwcHCyKIhiFiDs6cZeFVJk7MUG7HjZbcZgqvRxACcf8qXIObwARjSsqdjaDG8KAW18qKUCEGNnqU_iSqOH_MqDpEGPVDSgygNSNZaiCMuatGuk4JALvpubqe9uftmz8sNH8Dc1yUSsHQ1uALty6CSF4VOQ0ymrxFVrGqp_C2-JL_Heqdw2xQh9PIK5ORJNx3tCpWaqrZ41Bp5iV9Zr0-mcQhu1Z2LzDV03PuRzTg72J5uSdS9otUSaVn2uQVhHNVIQ8ymcQgirAVdKuyCekUjxQmM3rJuXg4EK3npVN_7Zrg0YhKUfWwQOQVzwTC6VxAviRUsj-swjdrr4Neu2LKPJUoMIalyHYgvV6_m8u36f8ubicslXkIqVfy9tco9pmGGji3F4PwaZr-O2waQTdplSd2GMEKRIDW7EAXbXZ=w703-h937-no

Prayers and extra fingers crossed for tomorrow morning, please! Ursala goes in for her dental, and I'm about to have a panic attack over it.

Prayers and extra fingers crossed for tomorrow morning, please! Ursala goes in for her dental, and I'm about to have a panic attack over it.
I’m sorry 🙁 it does get real scary as they get older. Fingers and toes crossed. She’ll be great though! The vet will take great care of her.
That reminds me I need to schedule the yearly dentals for our greys next month during discount month 😩 I always hate dropping them off and feel so bad when they have to get teeth removed, which is most of the time.

WAS THERE SUPPOSED TO BE A PIC? I need to see it!
Dangitttt. I tried to drag and drop from my cloud folder and the pics are showing up on my end, but apparently not to anyone else. I downloaded and reuploaded this one. Let me know if it shows up.

ahem... again, here is Jack the garage caretaker of mice, spiders and moths. Eager for his daily sustenance of canned gravy and processed plant proteins.
20220219_085113.jpg

Back