The Pet Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aries or Odin:

51361736988_d5d45eda2a_k.jpg

Posted on FB, but my poor girl Ursala started projectile vomiting/bleeding out both ends yesterday. Got her to the e-vet as quickly as possible, and she spent the night there on IV with anti-nausea meds, antibiotics, and acid reducers. Fingers crossed she progresses throughout the day and we can bring her home this evening.

HGE is the current diagnosis, which in short, the GI tract from tip to tail becomes massively inflamed and then continues filling the stomach/intestines with blood and mucus/water, which can lead to dehydration in very short order. There is no definitive known cause for it, but if you ever see your dog vomiting and bleeding from its rear end, stay calm and get it to your vet ASAP for IV fluids! I would have been a complete mess if not for my sister's dog having gone through this not even two weeks ago, and I spent most of our vacation talking her through it over the phone and reviewing lab work for her!

It was amazing how quickly it hit her. She was running and full of energy, but did have some AM diarrhea. Inhaled her breakfast, and shortly thereafter the vomiting started. Just a cup or so at first, followed by projectile vomiting that emptied out the past two meals which looked mostly undigested, and then the bloody/mucusy mix from there. Poor thing could barely get up and walk around by the time they took her back for the IV and blood work :cry:

Ursala is recovering well. She was having some accidents while resting/sleeping, so she'd been in a diaper for the past two days. Still has diarrhea, but no more blood in the stool. Prognosis on the accidents was "reservoir incontinence", i.e. the inflammation in the lower GI cannot store the poop, so the only place it has to go is out, regardless of how good their sphincter is working (vet said tone back there was excellent, so it's not an old age/can't hold it type issue.) She hasn't had any accidents in 24 hours, so the diaper is off for now since her hind end was irritated from the ER stay and I want to get some aiflow (fingers crossed she continues without any accidents). She lost a lot of weight even after rehydrating (5 lbs in a 65 lbs dog), but she is eagerly looking forward to putting that weight back on as soon as her stomach is able to handle it.

@snickerd3 THIS IS SO COOL
The pictures really don't do it justice. I need better lighting, but I at the same time I don't want to interfere too much with their natural process. They still need to make the trip to mexico, but have lived a climate controlled life so far free from predators....unless you count our faces up in their business watching.

Back