--**-- The Infirmary --**--

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, serious question here. Lately, I have been smelling the odor of a dirty ash tray everywhere I go. In my house, office, car. Virtually every enclosed area with little "fresh" air flow. Not so much outside because the open air atmosphere. We dont smoke, not around people who do. At home we have a forced hot air oil fired furnace. Originally, I thought that we had an exhaust problem with it or maybe dirty ducts, not that. I am going nuts trying to isolate the smell and no one else smells it. Could I be the problem? Could I have a problem with my sinuses? Someone please help.

I've read that pregnant women experience phantom odors. Perhaps your wife's pregnancy is wearing off on you?

do you have a wood-burning stove at home? How old is your car..potential exhaust leak into the cabin?

Yes I have a dog. Had him for almost 10 years now. No wood burning stove. It's the strangest thing. Last night I took allergy meds and I don't really smell it anymore. Gonna try a sinus wash.

Gonna try a sinus wash.
Sexy.

3288044337_b69193ca72.jpg

I got them pared down and then a treatment of canthardin (beetle extract), which is a blistering agent. The pain is extraordinary, and supposed to get worse for the next couple days. Guess I still have a few working nerves in my feet after all.

Took the dressings off and it is horrifying. Giant, raised blood blisters on both feet. Fuck this shit, I'm not doing this type of treatment again.

I spoke with the podiatrist on-call. He said this is normal, but I might be having a worse reaction than most. He was surprised they didn't just knock me out and do out patient surgery to remove them.

On a scale of 1-10, it's about a 9.7.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually managed to make myself get motion sick enough to throw up entirely by playing video games last night.

First-person shooters aren't so epic on a 65" TV...

I actually managed to make myself get motion sick enough to throw up entirely by playing video games last night.

First-person shooters aren't so epic on a 65" TV...
I respectfully disagree. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
So, serious question here. Lately, I have been smelling the odor of a dirty ash tray everywhere I go. In my house, office, car. Virtually every enclosed area with little "fresh" air flow. Not so much outside because the open air atmosphere. We dont smoke, not around people who do. At home we have a forced hot air oil fired furnace. Originally, I thought that we had an exhaust problem with it or maybe dirty ducts, not that. I am going nuts trying to isolate the smell and no one else smells it. Could I be the problem? Could I have a problem with my sinuses? Someone please help.
So after two weeks of dealing with this, cleaning my ducts, changing my furnace air filter and aerosoling my house, I decided to take some sinus cold meds today. 6 hours later I had a gushing bloody nose. After it stopped, blew my nose and a huge bloody mucus mess came out. Been smelling fine since. I guess it was a sinus infection.

i've got a sinus infection in the making goign on right now. woke up choking on the sinus discharge in the middle of the night. the voice isn't quite right either

I've never had one effect mee like this. I was going crazy thinking there was a phantom odor.

Back