The Cooking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinda want to make moules frites...but with Manila clams instead of mussels. They're okay, but dollar for dollar I'd rather have a clam.
Wouldn’t we all? 😘

Also made monster leek soup with potatoes (I can’t call this potato leek soup due to the volume of leek, but was excited to use some frozen stock I had, look at that oil sheen at the end, lol). This was the first time I used the whole leek, including the dark green tips, and the flavor is...more earthy? Heavier? I only added maybe half a cup of milk to make it a bit lighter, but the thickness of the soup was much thicker than normal (maybe the tops/maybe my wack ratio of liquid to veggies)  

Meal prep lunch and dinner + a container I can throw into the freezer for future noms. Just worried because I have another monster leek...and I don’t know if I want to make another big pot of soup or not. 

97B08A3F-963C-4D9C-AD65-273CFC2DFE7C.jpeg

D5B602DB-404E-4CF6-B888-B02ABEE387C4.jpeg

2FC71115-36C9-4450-ACCD-60AFFE21FEC8.jpeg

A8F48E5C-9A99-42DE-A049-A381C51B1F78.jpeg

Honestly, that's about the volume I make for meal prep soup. Well done! Send some ova to CA!
But this is meal prep soup for only JK!!! I love this soup so much, but I def am going to be gnawing on leftovers for a while (I foolishly went grocery shopping this past weekend, so I have so many veggies in my fridge that I need to eat). I might go through my freezer and see what I can make soon. 

I def am going to attempt a pot roast with one of my eye rounds once I organize my freezer better. But my grocery store was sold out of cheap potatoes due to the holiday upcoming. And I’m not paying $5 for red potatoes when I want trashy russet or white to get me through the day. So that might be something this weekend. 

@JayKay PE you could make a leek quiche & freeze. Risotto with the leek and freeze. 

Last edited by a moderator:
OOOO maybe I'll make risotto tonight... I only have the shallots tho, nothing else to add since I don't think I can get the dried mushrooms I have rehydrated in time... I do have peas in the freezer but Boyfriend doesn't like peas (he'll go for anything else but he stands his grounds on peas lol) 

@JayKay PE you could make a leek quice & freeze. Risotto with the leek and freeze. 
Oooooo, I like this idea.  Lets me use up that extra pie crust I have kicking around and maybe use Parmesan instead of risotto (since that's what I have on hand and it should be pretty easy to put together).  All these recipes only use the lighter part of the leek, and I feel bad just getting rid of a huge amount of greens.  Maybe I'll do something with eggs?  Like, chop the greens up way tiny into strips and then saute/egg it up.  I don't see that not working out?

Oooooo, I like this idea.  Lets me use up that extra pie crust I have kicking around and maybe use Parmesan instead of risotto (since that's what I have on hand and it should be pretty easy to put together).  All these recipes only use the lighter part of the leek, and I feel bad just getting rid of a huge amount of greens.  Maybe I'll do something with eggs?  Like, chop the greens up way tiny into strips and then saute/egg it up.  I don't see that not working out?
risotto isn't cheese: its arborio rice with broth, parm, some folks do white wine too, shallots, garlic

risotto isn't cheese: its arborio rice with broth, parm, some folks do white wine too, shallots, garlic
No, I know what risotto is, but I don't have any of that rice/a majority of those ingredients and didn't feel like buying it special to get rid of a leek.  Also risotto is dangerous because I'll make a big pot and then...eat it all in one sitting. 😗

No, I know what risotto is, but I don't have any of that rice/a majority of those ingredients and didn't feel like buying it special to get rid of a leek.  Also risotto is dangerous because I'll make a big pot and then...eat it all in one sitting. 😗
I read it wrong lol

Roasted a chicken (Run Fast Eat Slow recipe). Made risotto which I messed up in the last step - added too much broth whomp. But it all tastes so good

20191201_193021.jpg

My green bean casserole was a hit at Thanksgiving (as was my "Friendsgiving" mac and cheese.)

Butter, flour, cream of mushroom, french cut green beans, white cheddar cheese, mushrooms, black pepper, heavy cream, fried onions

Make a roux from the butter and flour, dump in your cold heavy cream, and slowly melt in your cheese.  Add pepper.  Saute the mushrooms after dicing them, mix with green beans.  Stir glop into mushroom/green bean mix, top with fried onions, bake.

I don't add extra salt because the cheese has a ton of it in there.  I may try a different cheese next year, as I felt like it needed the cheese to be a little sharper - it's pretty subdued with the cream of mushroom and roux.  Had lots of folks saying it was good though, and they wiped it out - no leftovers.

Green bean glop is the best glop. I was on green bean casserole duty, too. Mostly the same recipe, but I also added some of the juice from canned chopped garlic for a little garlic hint without actually biting into any chunks. Also added finely chopped Shiitake (only about 1/8 cup) for extra umami.

I normally add jarred minced garlic, but they didn't have any at the MIL's house, and I forgot about it at the grocery store.

Not cooking per se, but I'm not creating another thread for this.

I'm picking up my venison from the processor this weekend.  I also bought a new electric smoker.  I'm planning to make some venison jerky.

Any recipes and/or tips?

Not cooking per se, but I'm not creating another thread for this.

I'm picking up my venison from the processor this weekend.  I also bought a new electric smoker.  I'm planning to make some venison jerky.

Any recipes and/or tips?
Marinate in soy sauce, worcestershire, hot sauce (something thicker/pasty, like sriracha), minced garlic, brown sugar, mustard powder, onion powder, paprika, ground chili, celery salt, and cayenne.  You can sub everything after the brown sugar with an off-the-shelf barbecue rub.  

I also like a marinade of soy sauce, honey, garlic, hot peppers or hot sauce, lime juice, and grated fresh ginger.

One other one I like is marinading in garlic, pepper, brown sugar, and your bourbon of choice.

Baking a quiche tonight.  Hope I don't fuck it up!  :D
Welp, I lied.  Came home, chopped up the leeks, and my body visibly shuddered when it thought about rolling out the pie crust.  Instead made turkey bacon + eggs + salsa + mexican cheese + hot sauce burritos for a quick kinda protein-filled dinner.

Then had dried mango as dessert.  Because I don't even know what my life is anymore.

Made chickpea ratatouille from Run Fast, Cook Fast, Eat Slow. It says chickpeas or tempeh so I went with chickpeas.

20191208_123407.jpg

Made chili yesterday with tomatoes and jalepenos we grew in the garden and venison I harvested in the back yard.  Besides the spices the only ingredient we didn't "make" were the kidney beans.  Might have to try to grow those next year.

Back