The Cooking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made bone broth. And then took half of a sip of it yesterday and was like "why did I think I'd drink this?!" so I'll freeze it and use it in soup bases lol
Whaaaaaaaat?  You didn't drink it!?!?!  I can hear my mother wailing from across the continent - "~it's good for you!  It'll keep you from getting sick!~ Drink more!~"

...but, yeah, freeze it in an ice cube tray and use that stuff as stock base.

Whaaaaaaaat?  You didn't drink it!?!?!  I can hear my mother wailing from across the continent - "~it's good for you!  It'll keep you from getting sick!~ Drink more!~"

...but, yeah, freeze it in an ice cube tray and use that stuff as stock base.
I know these things and that'swhy my plan was to drink it. But it's kinda greasy from the fat (I skimmed off what I could) and not wicked clear nor it is as dark as the picture from the blogger whose recipe I followed...

I don't have ice cube trays... So it'll be frozen in the mason jars I've put it in *shrugs*

I know these things and that'swhy my plan was to drink it. But it's kinda greasy from the fat (I skimmed off what I could) and not wicked clear nor it is as dark as the picture from the blogger whose recipe I followed...

I don't have ice cube trays... So it'll be frozen in the mason jars I've put it in *shrugs*
Hahahaha, I remember being put on skimming duty (it's a full time gig) so I def understand where you're coming from saying it's greasy.  Did you do beef stock?   My mom used to use bread to sop up grease when it was a thin layer and a freezer-ladle sometimes to grab the last little bits, but this was usually after she had it sitting on the stove for many hours/much skimming by bby!JK.

Only thing that sucks about the mason jars is you have to unfreeze the whole thing to use it, but if you're using the whole thing for the recipe = you're golden.

Hahahaha, I remember being put on skimming duty (it's a full time gig) so I def understand where you're coming from saying it's greasy.  Did you do beef stock?   My mom used to use bread to sop up grease when it was a thin layer and a freezer-ladle sometimes to grab the last little bits, but this was usually after she had it sitting on the stove for many hours/much skimming by bby!JK.

Only thing that sucks about the mason jars is you have to unfreeze the whole thing to use it, but if you're using the whole thing for the recipe = you're golden.
It's beef stock.

My gram (who I lived with) never made stock growing up. I was put on whoopie pie cookie matching duty instead tho.

I did mine in the crockpot because lazy.

I picked mostly smaller jars. One is jam jar. Most of the rest are 16oz jars which isn't too bad. 

Made this yesterday for New Year's!

https://www.ranchogordo.com/blogs/recipes/black-eyed-pea-stew

It took a while, but was SO worth it. I used Rancho Gordo's black eyed peas (I recommend any and all of their dried beans) and followed the recipe exactly. It turned out SO SO SO good. I'd make this again in a heartbeat when I have an afternoon to devote to the soaking and cooking time. Luckily, we are left with four servings of leftovers. Yay!

Anyone else do black eyed peas as a tradition for good luck for the new year?
I make black eyed peas every New Year's. I soak the peas overnight in water, saute onion and green pepper first, then add a ham hock and turkey kielbasa for flavor, then cook the beans in chicken stock for about 1.5 hours. Served over rice...so good.

My wife likes to make black eyed peas on NYD too, but bleh.  But she put some in the collards too, and that was tolerable.

I smoked four pork tenderloins and they were tasty, but very salty from the brine.  I'm thinking maybe I brined them too long?

My wife likes to make black eyed peas on NYD too, but bleh.  But she put some in the collards too, and that was tolerable.

I smoked four pork tenderloins and they were tasty, but very salty from the brine.  I'm thinking maybe I brined them too long?
How long did you brine them?  Whenever my dad brined pork he tried to limit it to 2-hours and to more lean cuts.

How long did you brine them?  Whenever my dad brined pork he tried to limit it to 2-hours and to more lean cuts.
Pork tenderloin is very lean, thus the brine.  But I brined them for like 20 hours.  So probably waaay too long?

Pork tenderloin is very lean, thus the brine.  But I brined them for like 20 hours.  So probably waaay too long?
Oooooooof, I think so?  I feel like pork is already kinda salty?  Idk.  I just asked my dad (he likes to brine, so I figured why not?) and he said the max he would brine a whole tenderloin would be around 12-hours, but he'd maybe decrease the standard amount of kosher salt/gallon ratio he usually uses (1.5 cups to 1 gallon down to 1 cup/1 gallon for a longer period of time).  He then mentioned something about the grain of the meat being important, but I don't really understand?  I only know to cut against the grain, not sure how brining would be involved with that.

Oooooooof, I think so?  I feel like pork is already kinda salty?  Idk.  I just asked my dad (he likes to brine, so I figured why not?) and he said the max he would brine a whole tenderloin would be around 12-hours, but he'd maybe decrease the standard amount of kosher salt/gallon ratio he usually uses (1.5 cups to 1 gallon down to 1 cup/1 gallon for a longer period of time).  He then mentioned something about the grain of the meat being important, but I don't really understand?  I only know to cut against the grain, not sure how brining would be involved with that.
I only did 3/4 cup of salt per gallon (which is what my book on smoking meat called for) but I did read elsewhere you could increase the salt content and only soak for a couple hours.  I'll definitely cut down on the brine time next time, but in the meantime I have three more salty tenderloins to eat!  They did turn out plenty juicy, so at least the brining worked.

I made some schnitzel last night for the first time. It's not hard to make, but it was pretty darn good. That with some Saverne kraut = amazing.

I only did 3/4 cup of salt per gallon (which is what my book on smoking meat called for) but I did read elsewhere you could increase the salt content and only soak for a couple hours.  I'll definitely cut down on the brine time next time, but in the meantime I have three more salty tenderloins to eat!  They did turn out plenty juicy, so at least the brining worked.
So does the brine help with less fatty cuts of meat? Could I brine some deer tenderloins to make them more tender? I've tried making fillets out of them, but they're just too chewy.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what's great?  Realizing that your oven bake element is going, which accounts for the Christmas cookies being more dough than cookie, your pizza being almost burnt on top/pale on bottom, and your salmon being still kinda dark pink in the middle after 30-minutes of cooking.  Going to text my landlords, who are in the Caribbean, and see what they want to do.  It still...bakes.  Just, the broiler kicking in the regulate the temperature seems to be doing more cooking than the actual lower element.

Def buying an oven temp tonight after the gym/work and going to see how far off it is.  Ugggggh.

You know what's great?  Realizing that your oven bake element is going, which accounts for the Christmas cookies being more dough than cookie, your pizza being almost burnt on top/pale on bottom, and your salmon being still kinda dark pink in the middle after 30-minutes of cooking.  Going to text my landlords, who are in the Caribbean, and see what they want to do.  It still...bakes.  Just, the broiler kicking in the regulate the temperature seems to be doing more cooking than the actual lower element.

Def buying an oven temp tonight after the gym/work and going to see how far off it is.  Ugggggh.
Nip that one in the bid friend. Our was going and Boyfriend didn't order the new element (60$) and then we spent a Sunday afternoon getting a new stove (600$) since the element arced and almost caught fire. We could have still replaced the element but there's a high potential for it to have damaged control circuits. So now I have an oven with a window! 

Nip that one in the bid friend. Our was going and Boyfriend didn't order the new element (60$) and then we spent a Sunday afternoon getting a new stove (600$) since the element arced and almost caught fire. We could have still replaced the element but there's a high potential for it to have damaged control circuits. So now I have an oven with a window! 
Yeah. I think I can order the part/replace it by myself pretty easily (it's only like $25, since it's an older ge electric stove), but I don't want to be held liable if something goes wrong since it is in the landlord's house/they are away on holiday.  I think the husband mentioned maybe replacing it, since it is an older unit, but I want to throw that ball in their court.  I haven't seen arcing/anything bad so far, but I know electric stuff goes fast...means I might be only using the stove top for the next couple of weeks.

So does the brine help with less fatty cuts of meat? Could I brine some deer tenderloins to make them more tender? I've tried making fillets out of them, but they're just too chewy.
The brining helps the meat to hold moisture, so it doesn't dry out too much in the smoker (or oven.)  I don't think it helps with tenderness.

Are you talking about venison tenderloin (aka backstraps) or loins?  I haven't cooked my venison tenderloins yet, but I plan to turn the loins into jerky.

For the backstrap/tenderloin, a friend of mine gave me this recipe:  https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/bacon-wrapped-venison-backstrap

The brining helps the meat to hold moisture, so it doesn't dry out too much in the smoker (or oven.)  I don't think it helps with tenderness.

Are you talking about venison tenderloin (aka backstraps) or loins?  I haven't cooked my venison tenderloins yet, but I plan to turn the loins into jerky.

For the backstrap/tenderloin, a friend of mine gave me this recipe:  https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/bacon-wrapped-venison-backstrap
Tenderloin. The name is deceiving to me. I've never found them to be tender on any deer. Just super chewy. I usually just turn the backstraps into jerky because of this.

Changing my New Years resolution from bake a new thing each week to bake and/or cook something new each week (the perils of having an oven that consistently heats to 50-degrees lower than what I need it to be). Following that, made a curry butternut squash soup AND crockpot butter chicken this weekend. They both came out amazing and I’m so happy that I’m randomly trying out recipes now. Not this week, but next week I want to make some chili (I’m almost out of chicken breast, but have soooo much ground beef in the freezer). Pics below (you get a sideways soup pic since I can’t change it)!

7BA8DF35-1AB1-47BC-9094-C3491D4E0CE5.jpeg

8A2A4730-8473-4C71-A272-1B273E991C21.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Spaghetti squash with homemade sauce and meatballs. Used my sourdough biscuits to make garlic bread.

"Paleo" sticky & spicy chicken with cauliflower rice. Original recipe is paleo but I just eat food so used soy sauce and corn starch instead of what called for. And leftovers were eaten with real rice

20200112_192147.jpg

20200111_194531.jpg

i have a beautiful 4qt Staub cocotte (dutch oven), what can I make in it besides bread (because this is the cooking thread, not baking lol)

i've used it twice to make red sauce of all things lol (I'm not a huge red sauce person tbh)

no pork ideas 

Back