The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally did a loooooooong overdue oil change on the Saturn. Advance has a pretty good deal going - 5 quart jug of Pennzoil full synthetic for $33 and a free K&N oil filter (they only had a Purolator that would fit mine, so they gave me the deal anyways), with a $10 Advance mail in rebate/gift card thing. Probably going to buy a few more for the truck.

Think I also found the coolant leak, hopefully fixed it. Guys who swapped the batter out last time had the cables touching against the coolant reservoir. For whatever reason, the battery cables on this car get obnoxiously hot, and it ended up almost melting a hole in the bottom, and did melt a hole up top, just above the cold full line. There was coolant in the battery tray/side of battery, so that confirmed suspicions. Rerouted the battery cables and JB Weld Epoxied the hole/gouge. Will keep an eye on it and see how it goes, but should be taken care of. Also threw some silicone heat sleeving on the cables as a just in case.

rear brakes went from 2 days of squeeking a little bit to that wonderful metal on metal sound on the way home Friday afternoon....

Spent most of the morning Sunday swapping them out.. wouldnt have been so bad but I had to use the factory jack, luckily I didnt sell my jackstands when I moved...

wouldnt have been so bad had we not hiked for 8 hours on Saturday :( sore as F'n shit!!!!

Fun car show yesterday here in New England

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, you're right. When I clicked on the pic, it cut everything aft of the windshield off, so I missed the obvious.

image001.jpg

World's Oldest Running Car Sells for $4.62 M in a 3 minute bidding war.

This is the oldest motor vehicle car in the world that still runs. It was built one year before Karl Benz and Gottlieb Daimler invented the internal combustion engine.

The world's oldest running motor vehicle has been sold at auction for an astonishing $4.62 million, more than double the pre-sale estimate, as two bidders chased the price up in a three-minute bidding war.

The 1884 De Dion Bouton et Trepardoux Dos-a-Dos Steam Runabout drew a standing ovation as it was 'driven up onto the stage' at Friday's RM Auction in Hershey, Pennsylvania - to prove that this 127-year-old car really does run! - and attracted a starting bid of $500 000, which was immediately doubled to $1 million. Encouraged by the applauding crowd, the bidding went swiftly up to $4.2 million - 4.62 million including the 10 percent commission - before the car was knocked down to an 'unnamed buyer'.

The Dos-a-Dos (Back-to-Back) Steam Runabout was built in 1884 by George Bouton and Charles-Armand Trepardoux for French entrepreneur Count de Dion, who named it 'La Marquise' after his mother.

In 1887, with De Dion at the tiller, it won the world's first ever motor race (it was the only entrant to make the start line!) covering the 32 km from the Pont de Neuilly in Paris to Versailles and back in one hour and 14 minutes (an average of 25.9 km/h) and, according to contemporary reports, hitting a breathtaking 60 km/h on the straights.

La Marquise has only had four owners, remaining in one family for 81 years, and has been restored twice, once by the Doriol family and again by British collector Tom Moore in the early 1990's. Since then, it has taken part in four London-to-Brighton runs and collected a double gold at the 1997 Pebble Beach 'd'Elegance in California'.

I'm surprised it only went for that much, given what you see some of the exotics go for at collector car auctions.

Well color me surprised. Came home to a box on the porch with EBC plastered all over it. Two new Sport rotors and new pads...they even bumped me up to the Yellowstuff pads. From the picture I sent them they said it looked like I was getting some uneven pressure from my caliper so just to be on the safe side I'm going to replace both calipers this time. I found some "high performance" Powerstop calipers that are on the way. They're actually a bit cheaper than the calipers from AutoZone and being Powerstop, I'm hoping I can count on them being better than average. The fact that they're already powdercoated red is just the icing on the cake. The fact that this is going to be the third time getting into the brakes in the last 6 months, shouldn't be more than a 1 or 2 hour job.

So I know I've flashed this story in a bunch of threads, but I'll now limit it to here. Just called the Trans shop and he confirmed that I broke the 2nd gear band. Should be done in the morning.

^at least ya now know the issue. Sometimes dropping the pan is the only way to tell. Glad yer gettin it fixed! Better than having an issue while cruisingp down the road.

I didn't want to do a full rebuild because I'm gonna dump the car in less than 6 mos for a St00pid mini van

I'll know for sure in the morning but the 2nd gear band broke. I was initially quoted 1k to replace it.

Latest posts

Back