The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, we've used the Duellers for a long time. We have them on the Jeep now, and had them on our previous two SUVs. IMHO there isn't anything better.

Issue with cheap rims is you get what you pay for. They don't have much for durability, are really heavy, and can get damaged easily. In this case, you probably don't mind any of that.

RG: Check with some of the local "dub" tire places (big chrome wheels/tires). A lot of times, they have a stash of OEM take offs.

I've also owned the round-hole version of what you posted above. They're heavy as hell but worked fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was behind the ghostbuster car guy one day last week.. I think if you do a new one you should pic a different theme....."exapnd your horizons" :)

I'm in the market for new tires and rims for the tahoe...

Most of my research leads me to a michellin brand tire for snow, street, and minor off road (like driving to scout campouts and such)?

Everything I read tells me everything goodyear sucks ass..I would agree with that based on the tires I have owned in the past...

What say you all??

I want somethign that looks like an off road tire to go along with the redneck / coloradoization of my ride (Ski Rack, stickers, and stuff) :0 Mainly I want to be able to go up in dem mountains in the snow and not have any issues...

And I dont have a good pic, but I have an older Tahoe, its the hunter green color. Im trying to spend less than $100 on the rims, $150 on the tires..I am leaning toward something black? Id like to get something with the MT look without the price tag?
I have michillin tires on my pilot and I hate them. they don't handle rain very well. Snow they were ok. But I do have over 66,666 miles on them and the dealer last week said the tread were at a 5, about half way through the life of the tire.

goodyear assurance triple treads are nice. They have been the replacement tires bought for all my cars. expensive as all get out because they are 80k mile tires but they handle the midwest weather nicely.

goodyear assurance triple treads are nice. They have been the replacement tires bought for all my cars. expensive as all get out because they are 80k mile tires but they handle the midwest weather nicely.
+100 for the triple treads. LadyFox's uncle works for Pomps (local tire place around here) and made the recommendation for those. After putting them on my RWD Infiniti, I couldn't believe how much of a difference it made in rain in snow. I barely ever spin the tires any longer during the winter months. The car handles much better and smoother too. As Snick said, expensive, but totally worth it IMO for midwest weather conditions.

^ when mr snick had his own personal car, triple treads were the tire of choice on his camry too. so they aren't just an suv sort of tire

I just went through too many goodyear tires before that didnt last 30,000 miles, hell I dont think they even lasted 20,000 miles, I cant give them any more money..

I had a set of these on my jeep (not the one I had last year but the one I had 5+ years ago) they went +50,00 miles, and anyone that knows how I drove that jeep...thats a true testiment to a tire. ;)

im thinking of getting something similar...

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/33X12-50R15LT-Radial-Xtreme-A-T.aspx?t_c=13&t_s=157&t_pt=100809&t_pn=PCT55033

also, novice question.. why do heavy rims matter? I can see for racing / high performance but is it going to make that much of a difference in an already heavy as hell SUV? I dont think I can get worse gas mileage..

I just want to be able to get to Winter Park and back without going over the side of cements project...

Performance aside, it can drastically impede braking in a panic-stop type situation.

Well I can understand your position regarding Goodyear. But these particular set are from their premium line and are guaranteed to 80k miles. Plus Pomps guarantees the install and will make any necessary adjustments for free.

Concerning the tires, obviously if you upsize them to a 31 or 33" tire you'll have to check clearances. This will be even more critical if you change wheels too unless you match ALL the dimensions of the factory wheel (specifically width & offset). This is usually not a problem if the vehicle has a suspension lift, but it's all the more reason to go into a shop to talk through your goals.

Without knowing what your Tahoe specs are, I really can't say one way or another whether a wheel/tire combo would fit.

Well I can understand your position regarding Goodyear. But these particular set are from their premium line and are guaranteed to 80k miles. Plus Pomps guarantees the install and will make any necessary adjustments for free.
that's another reason we buy the triple treads. 20k-30k tires would be new tires every year for me. the 80K guarantee lets me go a little over 3 yrs btwn tire replacement purchases.

I dont think I can gets 31's on there wthout a lift, but they sell a similar tread tire in a 26" X 16"....(I was just showing the tire for reference)...

I cant imagine the factory wheels are much lighter than the pro comps, but I wil check the buid sheet if they list it...

I plan to go to the 4 wheel parts place in Thornton and talk to them, im just passing idle time here...

I took off the factory wheels and put on the pro-comps on the jeep and didnt notice any change in mpg or stopping.. then again I drove like the meatloaf song...

and about Goodyear- these were on my Durango (whic I drove normal) . I was buying $150 tires and wasnt getting anywhere near the money for them.. They could make a lifetime warranty and I still wouldnt give them another nickle..

Ugh, I just spent $1300 on tires and an alignment on my Touareg. Apparently, the OEM 19's have only about 4 or 5 all season options and most of them suck. The car came with Pirelli Scorpion Verdes and they only lasted 24K miles to 4/32. Not only that, but the road noise started to get unbearable during the last 4K miles or so.

I ended up going with some Michelins that got pretty good reviews in the forums.

19" wheels have some of the worst options out there for tires. I was looking to go with some 19" Vette wheels for the Camaro but decided not to because the tire selection was so bad (and expensive).

Yeah, I even thought about buying a set of 18's since it might be cheaper in the long run, but decided against it. I'm hoping this set will last longer than the first set.

I bought yoko geolanders to replace the crappy goodyears on my tundra got them on amazon and they were $100 cheaper per tire than the local distributor. Plus free shipping to AK! That's unheard of, tire rack wanted $200 to ship 4 tires.

Why do the put p metric tires on a truck in the first place? These things barely have 30k on them.

Back