The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently a sedan G37 with a manual trans is also a needle-in-a-haystack find. Coupes all day long, but can't find crap with 4 doors.

Ugh. My coolant light keeps coming on. Fear that my water pump may be going out or radiator end tanks may be cracked and slowly leaking. Maybe I need to just get this thing to a damned Carmax, find a 3 series, and call it a day.

Apparently a sedan G37 with a manual trans is also a needle-in-a-haystack find. Coupes all day long, but can't find crap with 4 doors.
There are 12 in the country on Cars.com meeting the requirements.

Infinity G37

Under $20k

Manual trans

Sedan

3 of which are within 250 miles of Charlotte. (unfortunately they all have 75k+ miles...

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action?PMmt=1-1-0&bsId=20211&crSrtFlds=stkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice&feedSegId=28705&isDealerGrouping=false&mdId=21153&mkId=20019&prMn=0&prMx=20000&requestorTrackingInfo=RTB_SEARCH&rpp=50&sf1Dir=DESC&sf1Nm=price&sf2Dir=ASC&sf2Nm=miles&stkTypId=28881&transTypeId=28112&zc=28201&rd=250&searchSource=UTILITY

Last edited by a moderator:
75k on an Infinity G35 or 37 isn't too bad IMO. They will go for 2 or 3 times that distance if properly maintained. I bought my G35 with 60k miles on it. Rapidly approaching the 130k mark already.

There's nothing wrong with coupes either. Both of my kids easily fit in the back seat of the Camaro, even with their booster seats. I've climbed back there a few times and it really isn't as tight as everyone says it is (although if I was 6' tall & 250lbs I would have a different opinion).

I got my oil changed at a Jiffy Lube the other day. A while later I started hearing an occasional noise, checked the oil level and it was 3-1/2 quarts LOW. Not good. It holds 6-1/2. No leaks or anything, they just didn't fill it up. Hopefully no damage done. They were very apologetic, as if this must be a regular occurrence. They said they would take care of any issues that came from it.

^ best get it in writing. They like to screw over customers.

Few years back I let Midas change the brakes on my truck; they screwed something up in the rear drums and fried the axle bearings. They claimed verbally that they would take care of it, changed managers before the truck got back and I had to pay the whole bill cause no one would fess up to the conversation.

Made the mistake once, never again!

Hawk HPS and HP+ are decent street pads. Stay away from anything EBC makes other than the Yellow Stuff pads.
What's your beef with EBC? I'm waiting to see what they say about mine before I make up my mind.

I swapped the front brakes on my Dodge Ram. The old ones were shot...like really shot. All the pads were down to the metal and one caliper was so bad it had popped on of the pistons out and I ended up losing pressure. Rather than pay a shop some ridiculous amount of money to put on mediocre stuff, I decided to get some good pads and rotors and do it myself. I put on their Sport rotors (the dimpled and slotted ones) and their heavy duty Greenstuff pads. That was ~17,000 miles ago and today I just finished replacing the pads today.

They were already down to the metal again and started tearing up the rotors. I didn't even think to look at them because the miles were so low. For now, I just threw some new pads I picked up at the local parts store. I sent something to EBC expressing my displeasure. They did send an email back pretty quickly asking me to send a copy of my receipt and some pictures. We'll see what they have to say after I send those tomorrow.

Hawk HPS and HP+ are decent street pads. Stay away from anything EBC makes other than the Yellow Stuff pads.
What's your beef with EBC? I'm waiting to see what they say about mine before I make up my mind.

I swapped the front brakes on my Dodge Ram. The old ones were shot...like really shot. All the pads were down to the metal and one caliper was so bad it had popped on of the pistons out and I ended up losing pressure. Rather than pay a shop some ridiculous amount of money to put on mediocre stuff, I decided to get some good pads and rotors and do it myself. I put on their Sport rotors (the dimpled and slotted ones) and their heavy duty Greenstuff pads. That was ~17,000 miles ago and today I just finished replacing the pads today.

They were already down to the metal again and started tearing up the rotors. I didn't even think to look at them because the miles were so low. For now, I just threw some new pads I picked up at the local parts store. I sent something to EBC expressing my displeasure. They did send an email back pretty quickly asking me to send a copy of my receipt and some pictures. We'll see what they have to say after I send those tomorrow.

Have seen quite a few of their pads wear excessively, friction material chunking, and excessive rotor wear (even for a race pad).

Most recently, my boss had his car at Road Atlanta for a track day with BRAND NEW EBC BlueStuff pads, in one session the friction material was completely gone. I'm talking 15 minutes, down to bare metal on the backing plates. Compound on the pads was completely defective. They would not replace, said he bedded them wrong, etc.

Uh...no.

I am honestly debating whether I build an early Transformers 1 1977 Camaro:

1976_chevrolet_camaro-pic-57242.jpeg

Or a Gen 1 Optimus Prime (mid-80's Kenworth K100):

Optimus_Prime_by_PantheraTurbo.jpg

The Camaro would be cheaper, but the Kenworth would be sooo much cooler.

Of course if I did the Optimus, I would get the trailer too. Luckily it's only a standard box trailer with some graphics, but I may load it up with a car elevator so I could take the other cars to car shows too...

I was behind the ghostbuster car guy one day last week.. I think if you do a new one you should pic a different theme....."exapnd your horizons" :)

I'm in the market for new tires and rims for the tahoe...

Most of my research leads me to a michellin brand tire for snow, street, and minor off road (like driving to scout campouts and such)?

Everything I read tells me everything goodyear sucks ass..I would agree with that based on the tires I have owned in the past...

What say you all??

I want somethign that looks like an off road tire to go along with the redneck / coloradoization of my ride (Ski Rack, stickers, and stuff) :0 Mainly I want to be able to go up in dem mountains in the snow and not have any issues...

And I dont have a good pic, but I have an older Tahoe, its the hunter green color. Im trying to spend less than $100 on the rims, $150 on the tires..I am leaning toward something black? Id like to get something with the MT look without the price tag?

Dex...

Go with the camaro...it'll fit in the garage without having to put your wife's car in the snow...

You're not going to find much in the $100 range for wheels. The cheap ones I'm looking at for the Camaro start at $1k for the set (no lug nuts, no TPMS sensors, no tires).

For tires, I highly recommend the Bridgestone Dueller REVOs

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+A%2FT+Revo+2

Great mileage, great traction (wet/dry/offroad), quiet on the highways. And cost about $150/tire. The guys at Peerless tire have always treated me well.

There are some decent looking sets at 4Wheel Parts and Accessories for the $100 (+/-) range, no way I would spend that much on this car (or probably any car)

I just cant tell if I would be better to go with black or chrome on a ugly green SUV?

I just cant stand the pitted out cheap cheverolt rims the car has on there now...

I have been looking trying to find some used factory rims that fit but there really isnt much out there, or much that isnt the cost of buying something new to begin with..

But I like the look of that tire, is that what yall have on your jeep?

Back