The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
csb: how many miles on the car now? If you know/trust the mechanic and the rest of the car is in good shape a new motor may be the way to go. Caveat is that if they get a motor out of a salvage yard you never really know what you're getting. If they go "new" as in a short block and transfer over the good bits from the existing motor, you really aren't getting a "new" motor instead it's a partial rebuild. If they're selling you a new crate engine then you essentially have a new motor. How long do you plan on running this car after the repair?

It's a big question of how much you trust the guy doing the repair. New motor might run great but all of a sudden the heater and AC don't work right...etc. There are a lot of systems that get "handled" swapping out a motor. attention to detail is key. If you trust the guy then it shouldn't be an issue. My 0.02.

My advice is to quit your job and buy a new Range Rover SUV.

Official verdict- something broke in the lower part of the engine and caused it to leak all of it's oil to somewhere. Options offered:

1. Used engine- pulled from a salvage yard, comes with a 12-month, 12,000 mile warranty= $5670.66 (parts and labor)

2. Remanufactured engine- 3-year, unlimited mileage warranty= $6983.41

The car has 81,000 miles on it.

Mechanic said that he's seen at least 7 other 2006 Escapes do this. They reach 80,000 miles and break down, with no warning lights. He said he has two parked in the backlot where people just walked away from them.

I would not go with option 1. My struggle now is do I pay more than my car is worth on a remanufactured engine and cross my fingers that nothing else goes?

Hard decision. In its current condition, the value of the car is pretty much measured by the pound. I would treat it as purchasing a used car with 81k miles on it. For 7k you're getting a new engine for a known car. Other than the new engine, it's a devil you know rather than one you don't. You have to weigh the risk of further repairs increasing the cost to above that of a newer vehicle with fewer miles.

How lucky do you feel with a new engine vs. another car? No matter what, you're going to pay. It's just a matter of how much and for what.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I've been going back to- it's a used car that I know what the original owner had done to it. And hey, it had brand new brakes!

The luck part is what I'm struggling with. The mechanic did mention that the people who have replaced the engine have not been back in. The main issue is that the 2006 Escape engine self-destructs without warning at 80,000 miles. I should get another 8 years, right?

Ouch sorry---- thats crazy expensive for an engine?

I think I would have to sell for scrap and move on....

I hope you win the jeep!

Have you shopped the engine price around? Was that from a dealership?

Personally, if I liked the car, I would probably put the new engine in it and run to about 140k miles or so and dump the car before it goes for engine no. 3.

you can get a 3-4 year old used Subaru 4WD thing at almost any car max for $15,000.. (Not that I advocate a Subaru) - just showing comparisons- wife has been sending me some via email so I assume that means she is looking for cars...

Ouch sorry---- thats crazy expensive for an engine?

I think I would have to sell for scrap and move on....

I hope you win the jeep!

Have you shopped the engine price around? Was that from a dealership?
Buggering this all us is the fact that it's a hybrid. The hybrid engine sits on TOP of the gas engine, meaning $2000 of that is labor costs. The other shops in town won't touch it.

I told my husband I wanted to wait and see if I win the Jeep before I decide anything. I don't need a car for a month, right?

Ouch! Must be the hybrid engine BS that is increasing the cost of a short block.

As already stated, the devil you know is better than the one you don't.

I'd shop around for a short block and replace the engine.

I keep telling myself that my next truck will be a restored early '70s Chevy just so I can work on it. I like all the cool bells and whistles on my truck but I can't stop pondering how long all that fancy stuff will work and what it will cost to repair when it fails.

The used engine is $3000; the reman is $4500.

I'm really frustrated that it seems like it was an issue with the 2006 Escape engine. I should have had at least two more years on that sucker.

How far long would you keep the thing if you were to do the repair? When I find one I like, I'll run it **** near to scrap status. Case in point is that I'm likely to spend a couple grand in the near future to revive my 24 year old sports car.

I like the car. It runs well in the snow and is the right size. It's got its quirks and needs a new windshield and will need new tires in the not too distant future. I'm not emotionally attached to it, especially after this summer. I think I was mostly keeping it because it is paid off.

Back