The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a band aid on it for right now. I was able to manually force the window up and then jam a screw driver into the open door frame, causing the window to rest on it and prevent the window from falling.

just ordered a new window motor and regulator combo, as well as a valve cover gasket, to stop the oil leak/ smoking condition. Being a firefighter, it would be bad to have a car fire that I knew I could prevent

nope, but after yesterday morning, I should have added that to the list too. the positive lead was all but separated from the terminal again

NJM: when it rains..... (I hope you get it squared away easily)

Supe: My son works for enterprise and says the 300 is a really nice car. I thought you were shopping G8s.

Apparently all the G8's are gilded in gold. Also, I can't get financing for any OEM that no longer exists should I go that route.

Supe: My son works for enterprise and says the 300 is a really nice car. I thought you were shopping G8s.
Apparently all the G8's are gilded in gold. Also, I can't get financing for any OEM that no longer exists should I go that route.
I test drove a G8 before I got my truck. It was a fun drive but I was concerned about buying a car that didn't exist that was built by a company that didn't exist. What about the Chevy SS? Are there enough of those out there that they're starting to show up in the used market yet?

I test drove a G8 before I got my truck. It was a fun drive but I was concerned about buying a car that didn't exist that was built by a company that didn't exist. What about the Chevy SS? Are there enough of those out there that they're starting to show up in the used market yet?
Not even close, all near-new pricing. And I would for sure have buyer's remorse knowing that it's coming out with a manual.

[SIZE=10.5pt]For the last few weeks my 2001.5 Audi S4 6MT has been up on ramps/jacks/stands as I slowly chip away a few hours here and a few hours there at replacing the restrictive OEM exhaust with a high flow aftermarket system (downpipes + catback). Pretty much got the new system bolted up last night. Now I need to tighten everything, get the o2 sensors plugged back in, reinstall everything I had to remove to get to the exhaust, etc. This is the last 'Stage 2' modification I needed to do so I can now change my ECU program from stock to Stage 2. Should be some nice HP gains. :) [/SIZE]

Prices on the SS will stay high for a while simply due to the limited production rates. They are great cars, but if you want a manual you are basically forced to order one directly from GM.

Not even close, all near-new pricing. And I would for sure have buyer's remorse knowing that it's coming out with a manual.
Same here. That automatic-only-so-dummies-can-drive-it-too turned me off. I'll wait a few years and see where used prices go on the standard shift versions. Or I might not. I'm curious to see what these bring at police auctions: http://www.gmfleet.com/police/chevy-caprice-ppv-patrol-car.html

[SIZE=10.5pt]For the last few weeks my 2001.5 Audi S4 6MT has been up on ramps/jacks/stands as I slowly chip away a few hours here and a few hours there at replacing the restrictive OEM exhaust with a high flow aftermarket system (downpipes + catback). Pretty much got the new system bolted up last night. Now I need to tighten everything, get the o2 sensors plugged back in, reinstall everything I had to remove to get to the exhaust, etc. This is the last 'Stage 2' modification I needed to do so I can now change my ECU program from stock to Stage 2. Should be some nice HP gains. :) [/SIZE]

S4's meet my criteria, but I have assumed that are incredibly expensive to maintain after seeing far too many of them disassembled at the local dealership where a friend works. What kind of luck have you had with yours with respect to maintenance costs?

It's an imported car from Australia made by Holden.

http://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-latest/2014-chevrolet-ss-stopgap-or-jumping-off-point/2000010802/

So far, sales have been positive in lieu of being artificially low, reflected by General Motors' importation targets of between 3,000 and 5,000 units annually. As of April 2014, Chevrolet has sold 1,148 SS models on the year, which is consistent with the automaker's target.
Also noted in the article is the fact that the Holden plant that makes the car will be closing in 2017, so I wouldn't expect it around much longer unless it makes the jump to the Alpha platform and US production like the Camaro (also previously built on the Zeta platform, but made in Canada)

Last edited by a moderator:

S4's meet my criteria, but I have assumed that are incredibly expensive to maintain after seeing far too many of them disassembled at the local dealership where a friend works. What kind of luck have you had with yours with respect to maintenance costs?
[SIZE=10.5pt]Supe,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I may not be the best person to ask as I bought my one owner babied '01.5 in 2010 with 80k miles and I think it now has 90k miles. So, in my particular situation, I haven't had to shell out anything unusual for maintenance and repairs. But you are right, the S4, at least my B5 generation S4, is known to potentially dig into your wallet. You ask about maintenance specifically but it isn’t the maintenance that would get you, it’d be the repairs. Nothing beats a Japanese car as far as reliability. So, expect a higher frequency/cost for repairs of European or American cars. In fact, the G8 was listed on Consumer Report’s list of ‘Used Cars to Avoid’ due to poor reliability. But, if you are looking at a newer generation S4, I do think they are a lot more reliable than my B5. Good luck.[/SIZE]

Thanks. Need to get in touch with my friend. He knows them in and out, and can give me a heads up if something worth while shows up at the dealership. I for sure would be looking at something 2010 or newer.

Are the Lexus IS and Infiniti G on your list for consideration? Both available with a standard-shift transmission.

The IS is only available in a manual if you get the 4-banger. The larger V6 and IS-F models are automatics.

If you want a manual transmission with 4 doors, you will either need an inline-4 or a V8 engine. I don't believe there are any 6 cylinder, 4 door cars on the market with a manual transmission. Only V6's with a manual are RWD and never have 4 doors (like the Mustang & Camaro).

The IS is only available in a manual if you get the 4-banger. The larger V6 and IS-F models are automatics.
Not true. The 1st-generation IS had the 3.0 liter 2JZ-GE inline 6 as in the Toyota Supra and was available in the US for the '02 to '05 model years with a 5-speed standard shift. (I believe there were only about 5K imported; I have an '04.) The 2nd- and 3rd-generation IS 250 is a V6 and was/is available with a 6-speed standard shift.

Latest posts

Back