The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You called AAA to change a tire?

Haha, I'm paying for it, I might as well use it. It took the guy 15 minutes to change it out. Between jacking up the car, manually removing the bolts, and inflating the tire, it would've taken me at least an hour.

Spray some penetrating oil around the cap, let it soak for a few hours, and take a propane torch and slowly start heating up the cap (just sort of wick the flame onto it every few seconds). It should break free with a twist at that point. You can wrap a wet rag around the valve stem if you're worried about it. I've had to do that once or twice since NHRA mandates metal valve stems/caps on the drag cars.

:eyebrows:

You called AAA to change a tire?

Haha, I'm paying for it, I might as well use it. It took the guy 15 minutes to change it out. Between jacking up the car, manually removing the bolts, and inflating the tire, it would've taken me at least an hour.
Bingo. I'd call AAA too. It depends on how long they keep you waiting before you just go ahead and do it yourself.

16739488-funny-nerdy-engineer.jpg

I called AAA...

:poking:

"I'm sure lucky I don't have to get my hands dirty" or "The risk of breaking a nail on my mouse clicking finger has been reduced" plays into the decision making as well?

I'd expect it from an EE but a mechanical and structural... we have an image to uphold. :p

Supe: Did you get the Pontiac out of the paint shop yet? Pics???

Supe: Did you get the Pontiac out of the paint shop yet? Pics???

I did! There are two spots in the back that he missed some pinhole rust that are bothering me, so I am contemplating just vinyl wrapping the tail light area with a matte black vinyl as a cover-up.

untitled.png

nice! I love the color. That's a '71 correct? I started driving on my mother's '72 2-door Catalina Brougham

73. Color is Pontiac Reef Turquoise. Looks high on the trailer, but that's because the airbags are mostly inflated.

So there sits a VW van with a Subaru driveline in it. If you're traveling with it and it breaks down, which dealer gets the call?

Back